Topic: "THE CHALLENGE"

This is the challenge: I have uploaded a song to http://www.mediafire.com/russellharding
you must write the lyrics and your free to arrange it anyway you want all the chords are provided on the video clip when they occur or close to it and you may request help from any member for adding percussion,guitar,bass,keyboards or any instrument you wish. To keep this fair I will remain neutral as I will judge the results. This is open to all members including administrators, and there is a two week time limit to finish your project the top three winners to be determined by me will receive the rights to this song, and since there will be three different versions that win each one will be able to do what they wish with there results including copyright it,you will have to give it a title and if you copyright it you must include those who contributed along with you.the song is a wmv video file listed under "the challenge" so you will have no problem playing it on media player so good luck to everyone who takes up the "challenge" Russell smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: "THE CHALLENGE"

With Labor day in the states coming next Monday I will wait till after this holiday before this contest begins this will give everyone more time to find other members if they wish to pick up the gauntlet and the three top winners will be featured on friends of chordie on myspace so the kitty is sweetened a little more, I hope enough members will join in this "chordie family" project it will give us all a chance to get a little closer and have fun along the way smile

Hi Russell,

Just for clarification please. The choice of tempo and style is up to the individual as is the arrangement and subject for the lyrics but the chords must stay in the following groups:

A Em D A
G A C G A E
G A C G D
C G D
Am G D

The duration of each chord and the order of the chord groups is up to the individual but each group must stay as written with no chords or chord groups added or omitted. Am I correct or have I misunderstood anything please?

Roger

As a little aside I notice you appear to play a one finger A chord. Are you able to play it this way without muting the high e string?

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger the chord groups and length or duration of the chords within each group can be modified with regards to tempo to fit the lyrics you choose but each chord group must be present in the arrangement without adding any new chords unless they are passing chords like a F# to Em from G or a D/F# to G and in the A chord I play the E string is muted for effect but you can include the E string as it is just an extension of the A (the 5Th) but basically each chord group must be present and where you put them is up to you,this will make for diversity in arrangments smile

Im gonna work on it this weekend....hopefully im gonna get 3 days off!!...i started messing with it a little last night just playing and throwing some words out there to get started...the wife thought i was having an "episode"...but i think i can build on it....maybe...all i need now is a few verses and a chorus and ill think ill have it... smile

Randy I'm looking forward to hearing what you come up with and I hope more members take the challenge up,when I first proposed this idea I just wanted to get some of the members who have written lyrics but can not compose music and there are those who compose music but are unable to write lyrics for there songs and I thought it would be a chance for them to reach out and seek each other  to work with on this project with them and it couldn't help but improve there skills. so good luck with it smile

Russ.
Been busy getting my fingers dirty at work than coming home and sleeping. smile
Looks like a fun challenge that hopefully fellow chordians will jump in on.
I'll see what my sleepy mind can come up with.
Thanks for the brainteaser.
Kap

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Good luck ken give it a whirl what the heck smile

KAP54 wrote:

Russ.
Been busy getting my fingers dirty at work than coming home and sleeping. smile
Looks like a fun challenge that hopefully fellow chordians will jump in on.
I'll see what my sleepy mind can come up with.
Thanks for the brainteaser.
Kap

Gosh I thought I would already find a "whining" section over here,

Been bashing away at this thing for awhile now.... but so far not bashing my guitar off the walls or anything like that.  Few new bumps on my head maybe....

Really having a hard time getting started with the lyrics, not having written anything poetic in like a couple of decades.  Perhaps it is an assumption on my part that the lyrics should be well in hand before fitting in the melody?  tips?

Did manage to get a bit on paper that may have promise for a future project.... but no way close fit to the melody in hand.

Undeterred... Forward March!  Illigitimus non corborundus!

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I hear ya Doug...I havent had a whole lot of time yet but the lyrics are avoiding me....i love the A Em D A ....but no words yet....

"PERSEVERE" seek and you will find, knock and the door will open ect... you have pleanty of time this wont officially start till after labor day just think how hard it was to propose this outta be a walk in the park,I can see you squriming in you chairs but worry not it will come smile

Hey Riddler,

Drop me an e-mail and I'll send you what I got.... kind of a truck-stop-juke-box number, but I lost an air line and screetched to a halt!

And for you Russell... I knew there was a little sadist in you trying to find a way out!

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

SVENGALLIE lol

14 (edited by arkady 2008-08-30 11:10:09)

Hi Russ
I'm wondering if you would be open to bending the rules to your challenge.  smile
As it seems that lyrics are a little hard to come by for some of us maybe you could include pure instrumentals the Challenge..
Just a thought.
Ark
Also does the finish piece have to include guitars a bit cheeky I know as this is Chordie..

Dear friend Russell, I think I have Alzheimer's disease. I didn't notice there was a new section on chordie.
ME NOT NOTICING = REALLY BAD, BAD & BAD.
But since I discovered it CAN YOU PLEASE MAIL ME HOW TO PUT THE SONGS I RECORDED WITH MY BOSS BR 600 ON THE INTERNET. I tried everything and still NOTHING ZIP NADA NIENTE NIHIL.
Your good friend the Doc

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

David Bowie wrote down all the things that were pertinent to him at the time,one word in some cases then put them all on the table,this way it gets rid of the ands and the's,but's etc.It's worth a try,songwriting is all about whats gets your attention.So just write about it.

gitaardocphil wrote:

Dear friend Russell, I think I have Alzheimer's disease. I didn't notice there was a new section on chordie.
But since I discovered it CAN YOU PLEASE MAIL ME HOW TO PUT THE SONGS I RECORDED WITH MY BOSS BR 600 ON THE INTERNET. I tried everything and still NOTHING ZIP NADA NIENTE NIHIL.
Your good friend the Doc

if you are talking about a myspace band account click this link
http://signup.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=bandjoin

Doug_Smith wrote:

Hey Riddler,

Drop me an e-mail and I'll send you what I got.... kind of a truck-stop-juke-box number, but I lost an air line and screetched to a halt!

And for you Russell... I knew there was a little sadist in you trying to find a way out!

Take Care;  Doug

I may take you up on that doug...im gonna be playing a while tonight and ill see what comes out...i think i can build on the A Em D A.....and keep the basic sound of the tune...but breaking away to the other chords as they are laid out might be a challenge...that might be part of my problem...me and fatstrings are going to put our heads together tonight and see what we can do with it.....

I will allow instrumentals but they will have to be in a separate class then the songs with vocals and you dont have to have a guitar in the arrangment use whatever instrument you fancy(something tells me its gonna be keys) lol

arkady wrote:

Hi Russ
I'm wondering if you would be open to bending the rules to your challenge.  smile
As it seems that lyrics are a little hard to come by for some of us maybe you could include pure instrumentals the Challenge..
Just a thought.
Ark
Also does the finish piece have to include guitars a bit cheeky I know as this is Chordie..

Randy I think that may be the reason, I sent a message to doc asking the same question regarding what kind of account he registered at myspace with because if its not a band account there will be no player to upload to smile

riddler wrote:
gitaardocphil wrote:

Your good friend the Doc

if you are talking about a myspace band account click this link
http://signup.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=bandjoin

I noticed he had a regular myspace account....if he has another email address he can create a band account with that email address and keep both myspace accounts going....he can even add himself as a friend...lol

what about gmail could he use that?

riddler wrote:

I noticed he had a regular myspace account....if he has another email address he can create a band account with that email address and keep both myspace accounts going....he can even add himself as a friend...lol

yep....thats what i use for myspace

arkady wrote:

Hi Russ
Just a thought.
Ark

good idea ark...

I just hope its not kazoos lol even bagpipes would be ok with me or a swinenet lol