1 (edited by 06sc500 2008-09-17 00:58:25)

Topic: Ah, practice!

Well, tonight I played until I worked up a sweat....whew! I switched between several exercises.  I tried to get Little Wing to sound as good as possible, played all the way through Cliffs of Dover veeeerrrrry slowly-while making sure to alternate pick when needed.  I spent a good amount of time on tapping, and I timed myself while I tapped out a series of 3 notes for 2 minutes (not much, but man, was my hand hurting!).  I also spent some time playing through a neo-classical style scale while making sure to alternate pick each note.  Wow, that was just my actual "practice" for the night.  Other time was spent just jamming on power chords , riffs, and working on my SRV blues-style licks (ie Texas Flood intro and Honey Bee intro).  I'd say an evening well-spent! This probably is not much compared to what you veterans out there do lol...hopefully stuff like this will eventually pay off....

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Ah, practice!

I like to work on two tunes at once. I bore easily so a switch to rehearsing the second tune breaks the repetition - usually when memorizing lyrics.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

You both tend to do more than me lol

I just sit and work through songs for the most part and learn them over and over again until I can play them with only a few minor mistakes - I then break it down to play each section over and over until i can hit it - note for note - 5 times in a row before moving on to next section

I practice daily as a habit and put a priority on up comming session songs, usually I just go over my reading skills to keep me sharp and work on my strumming trying out new rhythm accents as well as some lead guitar work I have a session on the 25th of this month so the two songs I am recording take presidence over all else I wrote a chart for them and reherarsed with the keyboard player who will be on the session with me so everything will go smooth and cut the cost of the studio time. smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Of course sometime I need to learn music theory....

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

06sc500 wrote:

Well, tonight I played until I worked up a sweat....whew! I switched between several exercises.  I tried to get Little Wing to sound as good as possible, played all the way through Cliffs of Dover veeeerrrrry slowly-while making sure to alternate pick when needed.  I spent a good amount of time on tapping, and I timed myself while I tapped out a series of 3 notes for 2 minutes (not much, but man, was my hand hurting!).  I also spent some time playing through a neo-classical style scale while making sure to alternate pick each note.  Wow, that was just my actual "practice" for the night.  Other time was spent just jamming on power chords , riffs, and working on my SRV blues-style licks (ie Texas Flood intro and Honey Bee intro).  I'd say an evening well-spent! This probably is not much compared to what you veterans out there do lol...hopefully stuff like this will eventually pay off....

Sounds like a nice, well rounded, diverse, practice session. You sound stoked(happy) about your progress and routine. That's what it's all about, gettin' better and feelin' good about it. Well done 06sc500! Keep up the good work. This could be the start of a new thread;
***LET'S HEAR ABOUT YOUR PRACTICE SESSION***

Here's some material to get your theory need satisfied, or a beginning nontheless....
http://vai.com/LittleBlackDots/MLS_index.html

Give everything but up.