Topic: well.. i had a go......

......at recording something, & it was absolutely pants! (rubbish!)  I tried recording me playing 'love is all around'...  I did 4 'layers'.... one of the into, picked,... then i did the strumming for the verses and choruses,  then i did the lyrics. then added in some extra picking & ohhhhs & ahhhhhs. 

But when it all came together, it was awful..!  My timing was out by miles.   

Back to the drawing board i guess...............

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

Re: well.. i had a go......

When you recorded the first track did you enable playback of the tracks? its in the edit tab, click edit,scroll to preferences click on and make sure the two boxes on the left (playback of tracks) are checked that way you can hear what your recording in real time and when you add additional tracks you can sing or play and come in when you want so forget the headphones you will hear yourself in the speakers if you still have a problem let me know ok? smile

Radchael1975 wrote:

......at recording something, & it was absolutely pants! (rubbish!)  I tried recording me playing 'love is all around'...  I did 4 'layers'.... one of the into, picked,... then i did the strumming for the verses and choruses,  then i did the lyrics. then added in some extra picking & ohhhhs & ahhhhhs. 

But when it all came together, it was awful..!  My timing was out by miles.   

Back to the drawing board i guess...............

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi Russell. Thanks for the reply... I'm using Audacity, are we talking the same software?    But, yes, i could hear the playback, but i had to keep it quiet because it -re-recorded the bits that were playing & made it sound terrible.  So how do i get this...?  Can i plug in headphones?  I feel like a complete idiot.. LOL

Hi Rachael,

I can answer this one as I had the same when I started using Audacity. I think it can be one of two things

Click on 'Edit', click on 'Preferences', then click on 'Audi I/O'.
Make sure that the box marked 'Play other tracks........' is ticked
Make sure that the box marked 'Software playthrough..' is NOT ticked.
Then you will only record the track you are recording without the other tracks being recorded as well.

If however it is your microphone that is picking up the the audio from your speakers the you will have to use headphones to listen to your previous recordings and switch the speakers off.

Personally I always use headphones when recording as you can hear so much better through them.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

5 (edited by riddler 2008-09-20 22:36:07)

It may not be your timing....Try what russell and roger recommended then if it still continues download asio4all http://www.asio4all.com/ and try that...after you install it goto edit preferences and select asio for your device...I had to use it when i used reaper..it works for audacity too..and dont feel like an idiot...its called learning... smile

And i 2nd the motion on what roger said about using headphones...the pickups on my acoustic will actually pick up the sound from the speakers and run it back through...so i had to use headphones just to get a clearer guitar track...

I think roger is correct dont mark both boxes just "play other tracks" and use the headphones and turn the speaker volume down so you will hear the other tracks and what your doing at the same time in your headset and see how that works for you and if it dosent cure the problem try riddlers suggestion but I think it should be ok as long as the speakers are turnned down enough so they dont bleed through or just shut them off till your done recording tracks and then listen to it smile

Thanks for all the help, guys... smile    I'll give the headphones a try.  I've just had a little tinker with Audacity, changed the bits  suggested & all seems good so far..!   I'll have a go at another recording tmrw, when the kids are back to school & it's quiet, hehe. Has anyone ever tried recording, with kids about..? DON'T..!  LOL

Radchael1975 wrote:

I'll have a go at another recording tmrw, when the kids are back to school & it's quiet, hehe. Has anyone ever tried recording, with kids about..? DON'T..!  LOL

Stocks and gags were pretty effective in my day lol

http://www.boundaround.co.uk/images/stocks.JPG

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger thats FUNNY thanks lol

Hey, Roger, is that o photo of your back garden? I think you have some explaining to do! lol

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

OMG!  yikes  LOL..  damn good idea!  Have you got 3 sets of those Roger..?!  lol  Maybe 4, one for hubby toooooo.........

You know Roger,  In some circles the stocks you pictured there would not be considered instruments of punishment.... but rather "playground equipment".  LOL

Actually though, finding a quiet space is quite difficult (especially with a sensitive microphone).  It can be helpful to record a few seconds of that "quiet noise" at the start of each track (10-15 seconds) so you can run the noise elimination algorithm through your finished track to help filter out those ambient contaminants.  Be aware however that you might suffer some loss on the parts you want because the noise eliminator blanks out parts of the frequencies you might want to retain.  It might take some tweaking to get just the right amount of filtering.

Otherwise you are kind of stuck with the stocks and duct-tape solution!

Happy Recording!  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I think you can just start the record on audacity normally and after recording rewind(snap to beginning) and move your cursor to just before the wave form starts and highlight the area moving right to left to the beginning and then select "edit" and scroll to "silence" click and the noise will flat line and be gone smile

Doug_Smith wrote:

You know Roger,  In some circles the stocks you pictured there would not be considered instruments of punishment.... but rather "playground equipment".  LOL

Actually though, finding a quiet space is quite difficult (especially with a sensitive microphone).  It can be helpful to record a few seconds of that "quiet noise" at the start of each track (10-15 seconds) so you can run the noise elimination algorithm through your finished track to help filter out those ambient contaminants.  Be aware however that you might suffer some loss on the parts you want because the noise eliminator blanks out parts of the frequencies you might want to retain.  It might take some tweaking to get just the right amount of filtering.

Otherwise you are kind of stuck with the stocks and duct-tape solution!

Happy Recording!  Doug