Topic: AUTUMN IN WISCONSIN

I took some real nice pictures today of several locations in Port Washington Wisconsin where I live there are photos of flowers, and trees with the color of there leaves turning and some small waterfalls and a few shots of a sunburst through the clouds I processed them with the google Picasa program and if you would like to download them feel free the link is at the bottom of this post(mediafire) and the folder is titled "autumn in Wisconsin smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: AUTUMN IN WISCONSIN

I've been to Wisconsin in the fall and it is beautiful...thanks for the pics. I'm from New England and it's similar around here. I could never live anywhere that doesn't have 4 seasons. Change is good

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Geo I have lived on the east coast and Hawaii,Alaska,just about everywhere in the continental U.S and Wisconsin to me is the most beautiful of them all. There's something about the seasonal changes that seem to affect your mood.Winter in Wisconsin can be really brutal,cold and up to your waist in snow but it is a time for getting acquainted with some home studies like music or maybe taking a few courses,reading ect.. but there are some who love winter for skiing or snowmobiling,ice skating and there is a lot of outdoor activity like ice fishing, but spring is the promise of new life,I remember a line from a song I wrote "seasons keep changing right before your eyes,casually amazing but unnoticed in the night" this about sums it up and autumn is the most spectacular of them all its where nature gets to show off its artistry,aah life is great smile

geoaguiar wrote:

I've been to Wisconsin in the fall and it is beautiful...thanks for the pics. I'm from New England and it's similar around here. I could never live anywhere that doesn't have 4 seasons. Change is good

I live in Wisconsin too! Fall is probably the most beautiful time of year around here. I live right next to the river so in the fall I can get some great pics of the leaves turning around the river. smile

I'm a musician; I can [color=blue]Handel[/color] it!

Tex where in wisconsin are you? anywhere near Port Washington?

tex54632 wrote:

I live in Wisconsin too! Fall is probably the most beautiful time of year around here. I live right next to the river so in the fall I can get some great pics of the leaves turning around the river. smile

Thanks for the pics Russ.
A lot of colors in nature up here in Ontario Canada.I love the fall except after fall comes the dreaded WINTER.
Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Kenny your welcome I hope you enjoy them and I forgot to thank Geo so I will now, thanks Geo and the dreaded winter is just around the corner but I keep busy indoors I'm not much of a winter lover accept to photograph the fresh fallen snow on the trees and landscape and then rush back in for some nice hot chocolate with nutmeg but I'll stay busy thats for sure smile

I just wanted to say I checked the number of downloads for these photos and there have been over a hundred just for today alone, I must say i'm flattered and surprised at the response to these photographs smile

Well Russell, enjoy the pretty leaves and sunny days while they last!  In about six to eight weeks you'll be pulling on your woolies and strapping on snowshoes to stroll to the local market.  We'll likely be treading water for all the rain.... but it will still be a warm rain!

Which reminds me I hope I didn't box up all my long trousers and Pendelton shirts.... at least my sandals are waterproof, and I might be able to get by in shorts for another month.

Thanks for the pics.

Take Care: Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I'm with you Russ.  Being on the back side of forty, winter isn't as fun as it was when we were ten.  My wife and I live up here on the little 'ol Peshtigo river and had our first killing frost of the year.  Bye, Bye garden and hello pellet stove.  Winter for me is a time for introspection.  Watch the snow fall on the river and pull a little E,A7th, B7th blues prog.  I recently bought a (Don't shoot) mandolin.  WOW, can you pull a crying jag off of this thing!  It's funny how your (my) music mood changes as the seasons change.  That said, winter in wisconsin is a beautiful time.  Wouldn't want to live anywhere else.  Take care and stay warm.

chris

Doug I bet you and the wife cant wait to get settled in your new home and with all the belongings you had to pack it must have been a chore.Yes old man winter is coming to Wisconsin and if its anything like previous winters we will be "trudging thru the snow"freezing extremities,(fingers,toes,noses,ears) anything exposed to the elements and praying for spring so enjoy your rain, glad you like the photos smile

A fellow Wisconsinite I see and as far as the mandolin is concerned I play one also I love the folksey sound of it,several of my songs feature mandolin solos and mine is a 1898 Gibson and it sounds better then any new one I have tried out in music stores (must be the wood or craftsmenship) and I know what your talking about with bye bye garden my pepper and tomato plants have withered and died, yes winter is a time for introspection and I will have to search and locate a willing lass to snuggle up with to take the bite out of winter you married guys have all you need,I remember a question a reporter asked a 85 yr old married man on the subject of winter it was "do you have any tips for staying warm in winter" he responded "yes one good turn in bed gets most of the blanket" lol

rndthefire wrote:

I'm with you Russ.  Being on the back side of forty, winter isn't as fun as it was when we were ten.  My wife and I live up here on the little 'ol Peshtigo river and had our first killing frost of the year.  Bye, Bye garden and hello pellet stove.  Winter for me is a time for introspection.  Watch the snow fall on the river and pull a little E,A7th, B7th blues prog.  I recently bought a (Don't shoot) mandolin.  WOW, can you pull a crying jag off of this thing!  It's funny how your (my) music mood changes as the seasons change.  That said, winter in wisconsin is a beautiful time.  Wouldn't want to live anywhere else.  Take care and stay warm.

chris

An 1898 Gibson??? Holy smokes, I'll bet that is one sweet player!! I've been playing off and on for 'bout fifteen years. (mostly off key HAH)  I run a mrtn D28, An Epi Dove and a Gold tone Paul beard sig.  I never play a mando in my life and thought Ya ain't getting any younger. If you like it, try it.  After much negotiation consisting of me whining my CFO finely consented. (I have to clean the litter box for a month) I bought a Kentucky KM 675.  No, it's not gib Monroe sig, but I don't have $25,00 in cash or talent.  I've been told it's a good starter mando.  Got to get it to my luthier for proper set up though.  The best thing about being locked up for winter is we have sunday afternoon jams up at the local tavern.  Alot of folks from across the border in Mi. come over.  I got to sit in the "circle" last year.  It was incredible.  I hang back with my "light" pick and try to stay out of their way.  Comes my time to pick a song and.......Brain freeze.  Stage fright?  When you're sitting in with IMHO some VERY talented musicians it can get pretty intimidating.  I'll usually pull off a I'll fly away or something simple like that.  I'll sing the harmony and the mando player pulls the melody.  That's as great as it gets.  I think I'll stick to the six string this year as I have a LONG way to go in learning the mandolin.  As in the first post, that's what snowy evenings are for.  Put on some Rickky Scaggs....and start to cry.  chuckle, chuckle now.  Everybody starts somewhere.   Kinda off the track, my grandfolks had a place on lake Michigan just south of Port Washington.  Many an afternoon eating fresh smoked chubs on the beach.

take care.   chris

We had a beautiful day today and I spent some time at my favorite spot by the lake and snapped a few more photos of my new home town Port Washington Wisconsin,there is a phot of a statue made of bronze of the "old fisherman" that sits in Rotary Park by the lake (Michigan) and there are a few shots of the lighthouse with several sailing ships in view if you care to download them feel free smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

Tex where in wisconsin are you? anywhere near Port Washington?

tex54632 wrote:

No, I live near La Crosse. smile

Lacross aint to far,in fact anywhere in wisconsin is reachable in less then 12 hrs I used to drive truck for a logistics company "cats" so I have been all over the state and most of the country for that matter.Today the Green Bay Packers beat the colts and Bret Favre and the jets Lost to the Raiders on a last second field goal of 57 yrds the weather is really changing fast since I first took those photos all the leaves are just about blown off the trees and its starting to really get cold I guess old man winter may pay a visit early smile

Yes, he just might! Our heater broke down the other day and I was freezing until we got it fixed. I hadn't really realized until then just how cold it was outside!

Speaking of autumn in Wisconsin I made a video of a friends Halloween decoration he and his girlfriend constructed a graveyard in the front of there home it is really unique and I did a short interview with him the footage is really cool and I took some photos also when I get a few moments today I will process them and upload them to a "Halloween" file i'm sure you will get a kick out of this video I just have to figure out some music to add to it,but I'll come up with something so I will let everybody know when its finished smile

The "Halloween Special" is the name of the file on mediafire so if you care to take a peek when you have a few moments smile