Topic: Russ's Challenge... "Yoda's Song"

This was my entry to Russ's  recording 'Challenge' .

Uploaded to MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/rogerguppy 

Yoda's Songby Roger Guppy

Intro:

Spoken by Yoda "Do or do not; there is no try."

[A][Em][D][A]

Verse 1:

[A]You can [Em]only [D]ever [A]win,

[C]With be[G]lief in your [D]heart, [D]

[A]If [Em]you have [D]any [A]doubt,

[C]You should [G]not even [D]start.[D]

Verse 2:

[A]With [Em]faith [D]you can [A]fly,

[C]And [G]know only [D]bliss,[D]

[A]With [Em]out you [D]never [A]can,

[C]And will [G]sink to the [D]abyss.[D]

Chorus:

[G][A]Win or [C]fail, [C]

[G][A]Sink or [E]fly, [E]

[Am]Do or [G]do not,[D][D]

[Am]There [G]is no [D]try.[D]

Instrumental:

Contains dialogue between Luke and Yoda

[A][Em][D][A]

[C][G][D][D]

[A] [Em][D][A]

[C][G][D][D]

Chorus:

[G][A]Win or [C]fail, [C]

[G][A]Sink or [E]fly, [E]

[Am]Do or [G]do not,[D][D]

[Am]There [G]is no [D]try.[D]

Verse 3:

[A]To [Em]try is [D]sim[A]ply,

[C]Little [G]more than a [D]crime,[D]

[A]To [Em]attemp with[D]out be[A]lief,

[C]Is [G]just a waste of [D]time.[D]

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

2 (edited by KAP54 2008-10-02 19:28:43)

Re: Russ's Challenge... "Yoda's Song"

Words of wisdom Master Yoda.
The force is with you. Very Clever

Kenny

P.S.  Congrats on the inaugural challenge win. Hope to be involved for #2

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hi Roger (Fellow Russ's Challenge Winner)  smile
Your recordings are getting better and better.
I really like the inclusion of those Star war sound bites in the instrumental part of the song (Given me food for thought there) .
Excellent mixing of a good song.
Well done.
Ark

Thanks Kenny, as I explained in my comments in the recording section the idea came from a remark in the Chat section and, for a change, the lyrics came fairly easy. I wrote the chorus first and the I based the verses on each line of the chorus.

Thank you too, Fellow Winner Ark, I am glad you liked the inclusion of the sound bites and I hope the idea will be useful to you. I put them in as my 'secret weapon' to try to be a little different.

Roger

Roger and Ark you both made this "challange" A memorable event thank you smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

heya roger smile i like the song its absolutely awesome!!
sorry i havent been on in ages sad been very very busy. (and computer is crashing)
well i will send you an email soon
love your grandaughter rhiannon xxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooo smile

Follow your heart
It usually makes the right decisions <3

So i take it there was only 2 entries to this competition ?

What a pity!

Do or Do not ! Nice touch Roger. Very well done.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

hi roger,

yep this is the first time i've heard this one, love the recording you get an excellent sound, it must be where you've parked your caravan?

great song roger, the rhythm is different to what russ put down, but i guess that's individuality for you.

i think you might still have won even if there had been more entries...congrats

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Oooops I am late in replying!! Must be a Senior Moment (again) lol

Rhiannon, my favourite Australian granddaughter, I hope everything is OK with you down under. Thank you and I look forward to your e-mail.

Helena, 'fraid so but hopefully there will be more entries if Russ does it again. Star Wars is one of my two favourite film series so it was about time I did something about it. Thank you.

Phill, Thank you too for your coments, and yes, only the chord progressions were fixed but the arrangement of them, the lyrics, tempo and style was left up to the individual. I enjoyed doing it and was quite pleased with the result. Arks instrumental entry "Crime" was first class and Russ, of course, has his own version of the song. All completely different.

Roger

Helena I didn't mention this but since you have the answer is yes there were only 2 so theres room for improvement lol and this was a new concept and givin the time it (the contest) started I think the timeing was not the best, this occured over our labor day weekend which is a three day event and in the middle of some of the most beautiful weather so lots of folk were out enjoying it and thats understandable so I will hold the next "challange" in the dead of winter so only a real outdoors person will venture out for outdoor activity other then getting the groceries or doing the laundry and have ample time to sit down and come up with something and there will be a "challange 11" I promiss smile 

Old Doll wrote:

So i take it there was only 2 entries to this competition ?

What a pity!

Do or Do not ! Nice touch Roger. Very well done.

Old Doll.

Yes i reckon there must be loads of chordie members who could enter.

Somehow i feel the barriers been set to high for newbies.   "Just my thought". I know when i posted songs here
i did get great help. But it all  seems so complicated now with tracks and layovers and whatever. This is all well and good for whomever understands this procedure!
Sure i may as well be looking up a ducks Bum for all i know!  Must be an age thing i guess.  I do hate to think that some kids out their wont record without feeling the need to have piles of equipment to do so.
I do believe the first song i recorded here was with my guitar and Microphone. Then Roger simply added some more guitar.
So! it doesnt have to be equipment like the cockpit of a jet to be heard. Simple is often better.
I dont wish to sound like an old meanie here to anyone but theres thousands of chordie members, maybe others  do feel like i do.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Helena any song would have or will be (for future challanges) judged solely on content not how good a recording it was or is and the same procedure you did would be fine, as far as tracks or "layovers" (sound on sound?) just a simple guitar and vocal or vocal would be ok there is no need for complicated recording equipment that was the reason for the audacity video tutorials to make it possible for anyone to record a mp3 for less then $5.00 (the cost of the y adapter) and if they didnt have a microphone there were suggestions on several choices the lowest being around $25 dollars or so but even a karoke mic could do the job,finely I am always willing to help anyone who wants to record by directing them to the free programs that produce great results and there are numerous members who never recorded that have taken this direction and uploaded there songs to myspace and if you can turn on a computer and type then you can produce a recording and your not an old meanie lol

Old Doll wrote:

Yes i reckon there must be loads of chordie members who could enter.

Somehow i feel the barriers been set to high for newbies.   "Just my thought". I know when i posted songs here
i did get great help. But it all  seems so complicated now with tracks and layovers and whatever. This is all well and good for whomever understands this procedure!
Sure i may as well be looking up a ducks Bum for all i know!  Must be an age thing i guess.  I do hate to think that some kids out their wont record without feeling the need to have piles of equipment to do so.
I do believe the first song i recorded here was with my guitar and Microphone. Then Roger simply added some more guitar.
So! it doesnt have to be equipment like the cockpit of a jet to be heard. Simple is often better.
I dont wish to sound like an old meanie here to anyone but theres thousands of chordie members, maybe others  do feel like i do.

Old Doll.