Topic: Fender highway one series

Is this the guitar that the parts are made in America and then assembled in Mexico?

Re: Fender highway one series

I wouldn't put too much store on the whole MIA, MIM business Craig. Fender have always used Mexican labour and frankly it alld epends on how good a day the workers were having, whatever side of the border they were on. Check out some real instruments...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

With the parts being made on the same CNC machines, there is only so much difference. I generally recommend that anyone shopping for a Fender, go to a place where they can try at least 12 of the same model. Now as in the old days, about one of 10 or 12 are really good. Others, not so much. Ignore color, point of origin and all that. Just look for the one that feels right, sounds loud and lively unplugged and holds tune. That said, some of the better ones I've tried lately were MIM 'standard' series and Highway One models.

I had a 50's reissue model Fender Strat that was made in Mexico and it was second to none! I currently have (should have kept the other) a made in Mexico standard Strat and it's my hot rod...I'm always experimenting with different pickups and such...it's been a great guitar...good body and and neck...   What I'm saying is that Mexican workers (or any others for that matter) can be exceptionally skilled workers and given good designs and materials can produce some really good products. It goes back to what DrewDuncan is saying...go out and play the instruments and find one that you really like!  BTW, I do have a collection of working guitars that includes American Strats, Tellys, and some Gibsons...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I'd love to have a guitar in nitrocellulose. I love the worn in aged look they take on. I have a hard time dealing with paying for a relic though. Its all in my head I'm sure. It just seems wrong. I've seen videos on youtube of guys kicking bodies around the parking lot or down the stairs. Even a guy in a body shop. Which is fine, I can respect the fact that these guys just want something a little different. I have an American standard Strat and Tele that I love but prefer to keep stock and polished. Id like to have a guitar to hot rod though maybe try different pick ups on and such. But I'm trying to decide if I should attempt to build or buy something and just modify it. The highway ones are going for about 750 at musicians friend or I can get a MIM for about 400 but would have to strip and refinish it to get that nitro. I'm just trying to find out as much as I can about these highway one guitars as I can before pulling the trigger.

also the say its in nitrocellulose but does that include the neck? Will a maple neck thats polyurathaned get that cool yellow tint to it with the little worn out ovals in between the frets?

Poly does not normally yellow with age, like lacquer. You can tint it, or dye the wood prior to finishing.

Some people have experimented with using strong UV, from a bed at a tanning salon, to age/color factory guitar finishes. Others wipe on brown shoe polish, then buff it off to leave a slight yellow tint.