Topic: The guitar I'm looking at...what do ya'll think?

I'm not looking to invest a few thousand in a Taylor or Martin, but I need to move up from my Rogue, so this one really caught my eye.  After reading reviews and looking at it, I got a chance to play a similar model.  I've decided this is the one I want (I'm torn between violin suburst and red sunburst though).   Anyone own this or know about it?  Here's a link:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod … sku=519998

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: The guitar I'm looking at...what do ya'll think?

dont buy anything without playing it....... play the actual guitar you buy

looks really nice, but i have to agree with "copper"

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and alcohol!

I've owned 2 Ibanez acoustics, an AW100 and an AW200ecvv. Both were good guitars for the money and I think Ibanez are underrated as far as acoustics. However, with that said, I'd think long and hard before buying a slim model acoustic. Also the model you're looking at has laminate back, sides, and top. It's also all maple which will probably have a very bright tone.If you're going for plugged in sound than it's fine but acoustically, you may find it lacking. In that price range I'd be looking hard at the Godin line (Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Art & Lutherie) Or other solid topped guitars or even possibly a used or 2nd epiphone (all solid wood) masterbuilt. There's really so many to choose from in that range...I'd be sure to try as many as possible before comitting to one. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hey Guitarpix i have played on this guitar in the shop, i couldnt fault it apart from the over use of lacquer , it was a bit too shiny for me and i find these types of finish make the neck feel stickier , but it sounded good.

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel García Marquez

6 (edited by 06sc500 2008-10-24 20:48:24)

I dig bright tone.  As far as a slim body, this one has the biggest of all of the Ibanez AE models.  And I have played the same model, just a different name and finish (and loved it)
I'm about 100% sure I want to go with redburst....

Switchfoot

ive got a martin-D15, good guitar, i was looking at the same one you are and ended up with their alvarez 12 string for the same price. you cant pry that thing away from me. i dont know your type of music, but it sounds good with bluegrass and oldies. got both of them from musicans friend. your dealing with the right people, thats a for sure

I agree with PIX.  I have a friend that has that guitar and unless you plan to play it plugged in all the time I'd keep looking. Don't buy anything you haven't played.  I would suggest that you look at used Alvarez Yairi, or the the Alvarez masterworks line.  The Epiphone Masterbuilt is a very good value.  Solid wood and four different dreds to choose from.  The slope shouldered mahogany is very nice.  If you see a nice used guitar at Guitar Center, etc. that you like, don't be afraid to make them an offer.  Offer 55-60% of what they have it marked, leave your phone number, and wait.  They will want to move inventory right before years end and will be open to offers.  Over the years I have purchased numerous used insturments.....always in mid to late December.   Good Luck
Much of the fun is in the quest!
Clarence

Hey guys thanks but I completely changed my mind here, I'm going to sell my Danelectro and buy an Ibanez RG instead smile

Switchfoot

Which model 06?  I've been looking at those recently ... specifically the RG370DX ... I played one at SamAsh and the tone was amazing

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

RG2EX1.  It has two EMG-designed humbuckers and a fixed bridge.  I really dig the black one.  I think that this guitar will open up my tonal possibilities and allow me a full distortion range, where the lipsticks on my Danelectro are a bit wimpy.

Switchfoot

Guitarpix nailed it. Listen to their advice.

Agree with Guitarpix on the brightness...it being maple.  If you're looking for some "thump" you might want a darker wood sound.  There are some music styles that you'd prefer brighter tones.

I'm not getting this one anymore-I'm getting an RG solid body electric and sticking with my good ol' Rogue dreadnought for now.  The RG also has a flamed maple top....

Switchfoot