Topic: Tabs

Okay, I have only be playing chords up to now and have now started to work with TABs.  However, unlike chords, how do you know what fingers to use where?  Is there a set system or pattern or is it really just feel?

1991 Washburn D12CE/N
2006 Taylor 412ce

"What I want is songs that echo. The stuff we're doing now is like somebody's bedsheets; spread 'em out, soil 'em, ship 'em out to laundry, you know? But our songs...I want us to be able to fold ourselves up in them forever...understand?  Words and music."

Re: Tabs

Greetings Resprod, and welcome to Chordie (assuming you are new here).

Well you have been playing chords so you should have a basic feel for how to place your fingers in the respective frets in the order that they were installed on your hands.  You will find that by looking at the Tabs you will start to see the patterns of common open and barre chords emerge and knowing those patterns is the "secret" (if there is one).  But as you will see repeated here and on other sites, there is no "right" way to do any chords, just those that are easier on your body, the easier most comfortable way is what will be commonly used and considered "correct", but it is what works for you.

Tab has the advantage over "chords" in that it can be used in place of standard sheet music to represent graphically, both chords and the melodic sequence of individual notes for those of us who do not "sight read" standard notation.  The individual notes will usually represent notes in the "scale" of the chord derivative. What's that mean?  Riffs in the tonal range of the chord being played in accompaniment.  Really handy if you are trying to play that lead line!

For more on scales, you might want to refer to the music theory section, where there are a bunch of folks that have a firm grip on all that magical mumbo-jumbo (most of which still defeats me).  But you will find that knowing some of the theory, will really enhance your understanding and broaden your repertoire of performance.  Stuff you should know some of, if you are interested in writing you own original music sometime in the future.

Take Care;
  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks Doug.  Not extremely new to Chordie but not a big forum poster.  New guitar player so I mostly read the forum and absorb.  I am starting to understand the meaning of "right" way of doing chords.  Obviously there is the way that you learn eight from books, videos, lessons, etc.  However in my dad's case, who has been playing for over 40 years, he has a split tendon in his middle finger that does non enable him to bed it (try having that in a Catholic school :-)  ), this has him doing chords differntly.  He shows me one way but I do it another.  I am finding the same thing with playing piano based on how my wife plays (also much longer than I).  I guess if you are comfortable playing and it sounds right than it must be correct.  You can even play the guitar upside down...isn't that right Jimi?

1991 Washburn D12CE/N
2006 Taylor 412ce

"What I want is songs that echo. The stuff we're doing now is like somebody's bedsheets; spread 'em out, soil 'em, ship 'em out to laundry, you know? But our songs...I want us to be able to fold ourselves up in them forever...understand?  Words and music."

Ahhh, another multi-instrument player....

Well you play keyboards also, so you likely have a grasp on standard notation sheet music (the genuine advantage).  I say advantage because unlike tab, you have the cadence of the music integral in sheet music which is absent in tab.  Tab tells you where to go, but not how fast, slow, or for how long.  So without having heard the tune or having a recording of the piece to play along with it can be really difficult to decipher tab and come out with anything sounding like the original version.  If you could imagine "Sunday Bloody Sunday" as a "blues" tune you catch my drift.

Take Care;
  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

So long as you get out the notes, it doesn't matter which fingers you use to do it.  That said, certain fingers at certain times surely do make certain transitions easier. 

Which fingers to use when?  Ask Russell the Mutant.   He actually knows what he's doing, unlike me.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

resprod wrote:

Okay, I have only be playing chords up to now and have now started to work with TABs.  However, unlike chords, how do you know what fingers to use where?  Is there a set system or pattern or is it really just feel?

The more you dab in the tab, the better you'll know which fingers to use at maximum efficiency. Just think of playing guitar as you would in shooting pool(billiards). You want to give some thought into what  your doing presently, but also you'll want to think of what you'll be doing next. I know this may sound a bit wacky at first ,but just give it a go and I'm pretty sure you'll find this simple advice beneficial...........

Give everything but up.

Uhgg I can't understand tabs but it is like g,c,b i know and i'm reallky good but i cant under stand the tabs

justagrlandherguitar:

I found a site that has easy tabs on it.  It is at  http://www.guitarmasta.net

Anyway, I found two that really helped me understand tabs better.  One was Hey there Delilah (for beginners) and the other was the Star Spangled Banner.  They were both easy to play and really turned the light on for me to understand how to read and play tabs.

1991 Washburn D12CE/N
2006 Taylor 412ce