Topic: Time to get fit

In the past few years we have had one bit of life after another.  Things appear to be settling down (but that's not a challenge to you God).  During the stressful few years, I've been a stress eater and have gained a lot of weight.  In the past six or eight months I couldn't even make time for exercise so in addition to gaining weight, I have also lost cardiovascular fitness (and of course began gaining weight even faster).  So now that the worst stress is over it is time to start taking more care about what and how much I ingest and also to get more fit. 

So, today I am starting some new rules.  No more than one treat per day and only on days that I exercise.  No seconds.  And only healthful snacks.  No bowl of Cocoa Puffs or cookies for snacks (unless that is my one treat).  I have a lot of dietary restrictions and such, so I'm trying to keep it real simple and not have to completely redesign my diet AGAIN.  Just eat reasonable quantities of healthful food, permit myself a treat on the days that I exercise, and see how that works for me. 

We'll see how long this lasts.  My goal is to lose 50 pounds, but I have no particular deadline.  So long as I'm going in the right direction on a weekly basis I'll be satisfied.  Today I estimate that I am 260#.  Oh, and I need to go buy a scale. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Time to get fit

Well, maybe we can put you in the biggest loser category.  Go man.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Good luck Zurf,

Your health is of the upmost importance, I've been lucky in my life as far as that goes, no health problems so far at 54, I'm one of those that can eat whatever and never gain an ounce. While I still stay active, I'm sure there are things I could change"my diet" and do better. I admire your effort and wish you good luck with this.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

I'm with you Zurf. After quitting smoking last month, I have started exercising a bit as my britches are getting tough to button. So far, I'm just spending 20 minutes a day on the treadmill, but I'm also thinking about changing to light beer.

Thought about it - ain't gonna happen - I can't stand light beer. I'll have to try to increase my time on the treadmill.

Good Luck Buddy!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

More time on the treadmill is much better than light beer.  You are a very wise man, topdown.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

More time on the treadmill is much better than light beer.  You are a very wise man, topdown.

I'd rather drink no beer than most light beers.  Given that alcohol is high in calories and negligible in nutrition, I am including alcohol in the "treat" category.  Although, it has been shown that moderate use (one drink per day for women and up to two drinks per day for men) is healthful, it's still a lot of calories with little benefit. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

7 (edited by bensonp 2010-10-04 17:49:15)

Come on Zurf.  Get it together.  Beer is considered a health drink in my neck of the woods.  Let go and do without something else.  Here are some interesting quotes we can live with.

The Value of a Drink
'Sometimes when I reflect back on all the wine I drink I feel shame. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the vineyards and all of their hopes and dreams . If I didn't drink this wine, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this wine and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.' ~ Jack Handy
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may leave you wondering what the hell happened to your bra and panties.

'I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ' ~Frank Sinatra
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
'When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.' ~ Henny Youngman
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.
'24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.' ~ Stephen Wright
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may cause you to think you can sing.
'When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!' ~ Brian O'Rourke
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may cause pregnancy.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' ~ Benjamin Franklin
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol is a major factor in dancing like a drunk.
'Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.' ~ Dave Barry
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may cause you to tell your friends over and over again that you love them.
To some ! it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group. Salvation in a can! ~ Dave Howell
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you can logically converse with members of the opposite sex without spitting.

And saving the best for last, as explained by Cliff Clavin, of Cheers. One afternoon at Cheers, Cliff Clavin was explaining the Buffalo Theory to his buddy Norm. Here's how it went: 'Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.'

Zurf wrote:

Given that alcohol is high in calories and negligible in nutrition, I am including alcohol in the "treat" category.  Although, it has been shown that moderate use (one drink per day for women and up to two drinks per day for men) is healthful, it's still a lot of calories with little benefit. 

- Zurf

Now you're just talking crazy big_smile

Beer contains many beneficial carbohydrates. Without carbohydrates, you would not have hydrates and we all need hydrates. A 12 pack of hydrates is required for watching a good football game.

I wish you well in your "get fit" endeavor and you seem like the type of guys that sets his mind on something and usually succeeds.

Me? I'm not trying to run no marathon, I just want to button my darn britches.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Well Pete and Topdown, 50 pounds from now we can meet up in the middle (would that be Jefferson City?) and spend the evening at a brewpub with an open mic night artificially believing that our singing and playing is impressive to the opposite sex despite spitting and being as cerebral as a buffalo, but knowing all the while that God loves us. 

The britches problem can be solved by a trip to Kohl's. 

- Zurf

edited location after looking at a map and choosing not to display my geographic ignorance quit so blatantly.

Now there's a great positive outlook on life.  We can solve our problems through deep thinking.  Or, "There's more than one way to skin a cat."

Lots of luck!! Don't forget beer is food.

Zurf, I am 6' 1" and weigh 220lbs. In June of '09 I weighed in at 265lbs. I, too, had a lotta stress from work and was constantly on the road. I was (and still am) spending over 250 night a year away from home and my eating habits was to take my american express card and drive around whatever town I was in looking for an "ALL YOU CAN EAT" sign. In June of '09 I completely changed my eating habits - I had a heart attack! Now if that don't get your attention nothing will. I'm still working away from home but I am settled in 1 place so I can do my own cooking instead of eating out. I do eat a lotta salads, now, but I still eat what I like - just not as much at a setting. Whenever I can I do walk a lot but thats about all the excerise I get.  If I can loose the weight then anyone can, Just don't expect the weight to drop off overnight as this will be a long drawn out process.

Nela

Pete

You are a wise man, if only you could impart some of that wisdom on my wife I would catch a lot less flack about beer consumption. If I could convince her that beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy I would be golden.

Well, southrnrockr, if I could do that, I would be able to convince mine also.  I think we ought to band together and cut them off.  That'll show them.  smile
NELA, thanks for the sage advice.  Unfortunately, most of us have to learn the hard way.  Hope you are doing well now.  I'm 60 and consume all the wrong foods.  Now would be a good time to stop joking and get with the program.Listen to NELA.  Listen to NELA.

Zurf:

Thanks for your little piece of inspiration.  After trimming down pretty well as I worked 15-16 hour days in concert production this summer, I've noticed that I'm already getting kind of mushy around the middle again.  The scariest thing is that it has happened so quickly.

I, too, have been under much stress about (the lack of) work and other issues, and food feels really good when you can't afford much else.  However, I hereby officially join you in the quest to return to health.  I'll be danged if I can rest my ukulele on my belly two-three months from now!

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

You might try thinking of drinking some red wine,it is good for you and alot of the diets out there allow it. I went on a diet in 1978 and lost 40 lbs in 3 months,drank two glasses a day. try some exercise that is not boring like swimming and getting a bicycle. The zone diet is a good one but is alot of food prep. good luck

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Day two on the ellipticle trainer thingy.  I have lost a lot of fitness. I used to go for close to an hour and burn over 500 calories.  The past two days have been 20 minutes and 140 calories burned - and it's kicking my fanny big time!  Though I'm recovering pretty quickly.  That's good.  Maybe I'll start adding in a walk later in the day.  I love to walk and bike ride - just no time for it. 

- Zurf

I hear you about the time, I used to hate too exercise but I do it now every day,even on day Ido not feel like it,I just start and after that it all comes pretty easy. I have had some great cheescake with no calories, I got it from an amway product seller tastes like regular stuff. when I was on my diet ,I would cut up cantalope and watermelon for sweet stuff, and carrots celery, cut up,if you want the salty stuff,pretzles,and popcorn ( no butter lite salt ) work well. Mustard good no calories, katchup has alot of sugar in it,.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Good Luck to you Brother Zurf!

Naturally Winter is sneaking upon us and believe me it will be harder and harder to stay motivated when everything in you wants to stay close to a fire and vegetate.  Football, snacks, Holiday Goodies and spirits always make it difficult to stay on task in the fitness department.

Like Cam, I tend to hover right in that 155-160 range year round, and at 6' if I lost more than ten pounds I'd have to staple my jeans to my scrawny butt to keep the things up! The better half on the other hand is always struggling to control her weight, and everytime she changes diet, I lose weight!  Go figure....

Keep up the good work, and we're pullin' for ya!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hi Zurf, totally agree with using swimming to use weight.Its the only excercise where you use every muscle in your body. Its just a pity that it is quite awkward to drink a tin of beer and swim at the same time(unless you can swim backstroke with one arm). Seriously though good luck with your weight issues and remember a good saying " Your health is your wealth".

cheers
sinkybhoy

"Some men have a six-pack.  I have a keg."
-Astronomikal

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

cameronkl7 wrote:

Good luck Zurf,

Your health is of the upmost importance, I've been lucky in my life as far as that goes, no health problems so far at 54, I'm one of those that can eat whatever and never gain an ounce. While I still stay active, I'm sure there are things I could change"my diet" and do better. I admire your effort and wish you good luck with this.

Cam

Ditto, though I have put on a bit of weight since I got married and wandered into middle age.  (150 pounds and 6 feet tall)  I did get up to 170 pounds, but, started going along with my wife's healthy eating habits and making a point of walking 1-2 miles a day.  I'm one of those lucky people blessed with an absurdly high metabolism.  I hated it when I was a young beanpole, but, now it's paying dividends.

Anywho, I agree, your health is supremely important.   Add some walking or biking to your routine.  Not only good exercise for the body, but a mental health break as well.

Take care.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Doug_Smith wrote:

Good Luck to you Brother Zurf!

Like Cam, I tend to hover right in that 155-160 range year round, and at 6' if I lost more than ten pounds I'd have to staple my jeans to my scrawny butt to keep the things up! The better half on the other hand is always struggling to control her weight, and everytime she changes diet, I lose weight!  Go figure....

Keep up the good work, and we're pullin' for ya!

Take Care;
Doug

Small world, my wife has the same problem.  She's gone vegetarian with the occasional meat treat.......if I cook it.  No problem there, <grin>

Also, Zurf, a couple of small glasses of wine is ok per day.   Beer can be the occasional treat and if you have one, make it a good tasty brand.  A local microbrew might be the ticket.  Other drinks like sherry or brandy can have a lot of calories.  In a nutshell, you must reward yourself in some fashion when you reach your goals and stay there.  Beer and wine are signs from God that he loves us and wants us to be happy!  smile

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I go up and down in weight without trying.  I guess I am one of the lucky ones also.  The most I have ever weighed is 200.  I have been between 170 and 200 since high school.  I don't believe in diets, just cutting back once in awhile does it for me.  There is nothing like fried food and a few beers.

Learning the B chord burns calories, and helps get one fit..

badeye   cool

one caper after another