Topic: Question for 12-String Owners

My D12X1 is due for some new wires.  I was shopping at GC this weekend and noticed that the only strings they had in stock for 12's were "light" and "extra light" gauges.  They had 3-4 brands, but nothing thicker than light.

I've never bought strings for my 12 before, and I'm sure you could find anything from spider webs to barge rope for them on the internet.  (Slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean.)

So the question is, would you normally string a 12 with "just" light or X-light?

If so, I can see why, but I just wondered what your experiences are.

Thanks,
'Nomikal

PS:  The guy behind the counter wasn't much help with this question.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: Question for 12-String Owners

Howdy,

Well honestly, my 12 is a huge concert dreadnaught.... so I usually strung with 12-56 string sets not needing anything heavier for such a "boomer".  I know that D'Addario makes mediums starting at 13s in sets and I think I saw somewhere listed a set that I would consider really heavy with 16s for the high E.

Generally though it is a lot easier on the guitar to stay with the lighter guage strings so as to reduce the overall tension on the bridge.  Some folks even go so far as to tune down to D for that reason.  I never did and yes, the saddle lifted a bit after many years of staying that way.  I wound up rebuilding the inner bracing to correct that and it is a fine player still, but not used as much anymore with my preference for finger-style guitar.

Hope that helps.
Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:

Howdy,

Well honestly, my 12 is a huge concert dreadnaught.... so I usually strung with 12-56 string sets not needing anything heavier for such a "boomer".  I know that D'Addario makes mediums starting at 13s in sets and I think I saw somewhere listed a set that I would consider really heavy with 16s for the high E.

Generally though it is a lot easier on the guitar to stay with the lighter guage strings so as to reduce the overall tension on the bridge.  Some folks even go so far as to tune down to D for that reason.  I never did and yes, the saddle lifted a bit after many years of staying that way.  I wound up rebuilding the inner bracing to correct that and it is a fine player still, but not used as much anymore with my preference for finger-style guitar.

Hope that helps.
Take Care;
Doug

+1 on everything Doug says. I use lights. I can imagine mediums would be real tough on a twelvers neck....

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Light gauge strings go out of tune more easily.
This is aggravating with 12 strings to tune.
Heavier strings are harder to fret. On a 12 string,
barre chords may be more difficult or impossible to make when you change to heavier gauge strings.
If extra lights or light gauge are too much trouble to tune, medium lights may be a practical compromise.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

12 string guitars are not designed for long life. The string tension will "belly" the top, pull off the bridge and unseat a neck.  If you want to make it last, use extra light strings.  You might want to tune it down a half step as well. I got mine when it was too late to make a difference.  Now its tuned in open G.  Still sounds great but its unplayable in standard E tuning.

Now available in 5G !

My (now repaired) Melody 12er was built in the 70's and I have no idea what strings were on her previously but she now sports .09's. The action is low and she is a dream to play so I beg to differ with tandm3. She also rarely goes out of tune - I love my 12er.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I have an Ibanez 12'er and x-lights work perfectly well for me,  i have small mitts, and battled with lights. She also stays nicely in tune without any probs, plus, ALL guitars do go out of tune in varying degrees over time, weather changes help in this department.  I have also done only one small truss rod adjustment in the last few years, and the tuning is standard.
Ibby also gets played A LOT

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

I just bought an Alvarez 12, and I hope Roger is right.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

I just bought an Alvarez 12, and I hope Roger is right.  smile

I've had an ALvarez AD60S/12 for about 5 years now. Love it. Stays in tune better than some of my sixes. Great bang for the buck....enjoy her and happy new guitar day.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Toots brought up a good point about tuning.....

Back in 69 when I got my first 12, you either had to get up against a piano or use a tuning fork and then do it all by ear and harmonics.  Chromatic tuners weren't available yet and if they were, they were way out of our price range!  Really was difficult to "break in" a new set, but once they settled were stable for a long time.  Or maybe it just seemed that way because the hassel of doing it all again was painful, and so I just ignored their slow death until it became unbearable.

I've owned 3 over the years, the original which I still have, one I sold to a friend who really wanted it, and one I gifted to my sister.  The last was an unusual one that sported a "trapeze" bridge, and the top is still flat as a billiard table after twenty-some-odd years.

Happy NGD Jerome, may you have many good years together!

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare