Topic: Brand new Telecaster

At the age of 60, I just bought my first electric guitar--a Standard Telecaster.  All I have at the moment is a small practice amp for it, but when I got it home and started playing it, it sounded pretty bad.  My question is: it plays quite differently from my acoustic guitar, but I get the impression that if I keep working on it I'll soon learn to play it.  Has this been the experience of more accomplished Tele players in here?  Also, any suggestions on what kind of pedals to get?

I got it because I want to learn how to play some lead and thought the Tele had the tones I wanted more than the Strat.

Re: Brand new Telecaster

I have no advice for you about your new Tele as I am an acoustic player, but I want to welcome you to chordie and wish you a happy NGD! (new guitar day)

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Good for you, tfsails.  Good luck with it.  As with anything else, it is new to you and the more you play it the more comfortable you will become and the better you will play.  I pick up my neighbors electric once in a while and it seems very strange to me.  You'll get the hang of it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Way to go tf!! I bought a tele about 6 months ago and was put off w/ it since I was an acoustic player. I now love my tele. It's the difference between playing a piano an an organ. With the organ you get more for less and that's the difference between an acoustic and a tele. Lots of Luck and let us know how you're making out.

Good guitar you got yourself,I am  basically an acoustic player, about eighty five percent of the time. But sometimes I really feel like playing my strat or 335,it takes me some time too adjust over to the electric and back to the acoustic. You will get used to it after awile.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

From what little I've played it today, it seems to work better if I don't squeeze the strings as hard as I do on the acoustic.  That's gonna take some un-learning to get the hang of it, but I'm on the way.  It's nice watching football and strumming it with no amp and being able to hear both the guitar and the game.

Just the regular electric guitar noise is kinda hard to controll at first but you get used to it. Teles are great guitars. As far as pedals are concerned it depends on your style of playing. Country guys usually like the clean sounds. they usually have reverb, or delays for that 50's slapbach type echo, and alot use compressor. A compressor will lower the volume when you strike a string a little harder than you hit the others AND it will raise the volume for the string you don't strike hard enough. Blues guys will always have some sort of overdrive. If you don't have a tube amp it will emulate the distorted sound that a tube makes when driven too hard. A noise gate is something you might also be interested in. It essentially interupts the signal to amp when the out put of the guitar is really low. like when your just standing there. It will git rid of that amp hum your probably hearing. Thats already five pedals. One pedal can sometimes be about 100 dolars. That can add up quick. I always suggest a multi effect unit. there are some out there that can be had for sixty - seventy dollars. These will have all of those pedals in them as well as many more. There will be settings for just about every genre of music. Some are really simple to use and some you will need the owners manual and tech support to change one parameter. Try a bunch. A coworkers daughter bought a Digitech RP50 and its a cool little pedal. I have the RP355 and love it but it would be overkill for a newcomer. Line six has thier POD line.

I'd recommend going with Boss for effects. They're bullet proof and among the best in the business, I have an ME50 multi effects unit that I picked up off ebay for about £100. I think it's now been superceded by the ME70 but it's a great unit. Check out their website for the full specs.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Firstly, Congratulations on your new Guitar!!
As a Tele and Acoustic player, I can definitely tell you that the Tele will require much less grip on the fretboard if you have it setup right. As long as your action is low you will be able to use a lighter grip and that will allow you to be faster on the guitar neck.
The Tele will make you a better guitar player...I promise.
It's the most honest guitar that exists. If you hear something good, it's because your technique is improving/has improved.
I never felt any progression as a guitarist until I my 4th guitar (My Squier '51...telestrat). My acoustic is a one-trick pony and so were all the guitars before. My Telestrat has made me a better musician overall and It's where I'm staying.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Wow!  I had no idea this axe was gonna be so EASY to play!  I don't mean easy as in it made me another Chet Atkins overnight.  No, not at all!.  I mean that fingering chords on it and playing what tunes I know up the neck are a hell of a lot easier on the Tele than on the Sigma.  I gotta watch it or I'm gonna really get spoiled.

Thanks to all who gave me advice on playing this thing and what kind of pedals to get.  It kind of agrees with what my sons (one owns 12 guitars, the other nine) have told me.

Imma quote myself....  smile

"The Telecaster, like the AK-47 and a supersonic flyby, has an unmistakable sound, and that sound is righteously cool."

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

You'll be playing like Stevie Ray Vaughan in no time.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

except he played a strat... smile

if you want to look at the work of classic tele players, then you can't go wrong by studying Bruce Springsteen, Steve Cropper and Joe Strummer...

all play(ed) teles, but completely different ways...

[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/Paul.jpg]a better photo of me[/url]
[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/IMGP0556.jpg]My basses[/url]
haven't photographed my guitars yet... smile

Check out James Burton, and Albert Lee has used one on occasion in the past.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

15 (edited by badeye 2010-10-15 14:01:55)

Look for Albert Collins, The Master of the Telecaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihvvf1R_ … playnext=1

badeye   cool

one caper after another

hi tf, and welcome to chordie, you've had quite a response for your first posting, so i'd like to add my 5 pennorth.

i've only recently bought my first tele, (i'm 59) i've had semi acoustics and strats (original and copies) and think the fender telecaster is up there with the best. i didnt realise how the thickness of the neck would affect my playing. you've found that out for yourself i see.

i was recording a song yesterday, i began with acoustic, to get the rhythm, then bass guitar, then i got out my tele for some lead!!!!! if you think it's weired going from acoustic to a tele try from bass to tele!!!

one thing though....dont put heavy gauge strings on it.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton and the Iceman Albert Collins! Talk about some Tele players!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOptDDU3rOo

Try this for starters.

Now available in 5G !

Does anybody know how many Fender Tele's have been made?

Now available in 5G !

tandm3 wrote:

Does anybody know how many Fender Tele's have been made?

I don't have any idea but it must be hundreds just from Fender! So many Artist endorsed models. Different pickup configurations. And it goes on an on...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Man!  Those are some good Tele players!  I can see I have a LONG way to go to get even halfway there.  The other night I played along with the Eagles' Farewell Tour #1 DVD, using both the Tele and my acoustic in electric mode, and discovered that when my left fingers get tired I revert back to old habits (squeezing the Tele too hard) and it starts sounding worse.  Gotta break the old habits.  On the other hand, I'm learning that maybe I didn't have to squeeze the acoustic quite as hard as I've been doing in the past.  I must be a slow learner...I've only been playing the guitar since 1966!  Practice, practice, practice!

with all the choices it is not easy picking out a guitar, a tele is surely a good choise. just wondering did you pick a maple or rosewood neck. I am 53 and have been playing since the age or 14. I had always used light gauge strings  but have swiched to medium recently. I have found its like haveing a new guitar (it was a srat by the way). with the switching over from acoustic to electric I would recomend trying medium guage. In my opinion it will make the transion from acoustic to electric a bit smoother. my practice amp is a fender champion 600 (a small tube amp) and as a efects pedal I chose the boss fender 65 deluxe reverb anp pedal which for the most part I am satisfied with. for me purchacing an efects pedal is kinda tuff because for me it takes a while before I truly made the right choice or not.

what a long strange trip it's been