Topic: "The Layoff"

This song is near and not so dear to my heart but I guess it’s better to write it out than keep it in. Anyway, it's a good Labor Day song for today's world.

The Layoff By Jeff Gilpin

September 2nd, 2010

Verse 1

[D]I get home shut [C]the car off

[G]Get out close the door

[D]Take off that stupid [C]Hawaiian shirt

That [G]I’ve always wore

[D] [C]My last Friday

[G]My last work day for a while

[D]It’s been such a [C]blur

But [G]no longer in denial

Pre-chorus 1

[A]I remember telling the wife

[G]When she asked what’s wrong

She [A]said you’ve not been yourself

Too[Bm] silent too strong

[A]I guess I’d been keeping it in

[G]But that’s nothing new

It’s [A]how I handle adversity

[Bm]All that I go through

Chorus

So [G]tomorrow I’ll wake up [D]late

[G]Maybe take a little [D]break

I’m [A]tired of telling my [G]story

[A]Tired of all the [G]worry

Tired of [A]hearing how we sure could [G]use you

If [Bm]only our pro[A]posal [G]wins

[D]Tired but I [A]have to go on

Go on [G]searching

Verse 2

[D]It’s an odd feeling when they [C]walk you

[G] Out the door

[D]Hearing what a great [C]job you did

From [G]folks you won’t see any more

[D]Been getting emails and [C]calls

[G]Asking how it’s going

[D]Saying [C]nothing yet

[G]Hope no fear is showing

Pre-chorus 2

[A]Loosing track of interviews

[G]Some quite promising

[A]Job fairs get your hopes up

[Bm]Comes down to the same old thing

[A]Waiting for the call

For the [G]offers that never come

[A]But all you can do is wait

[Bm]No place to run

Chorus

So [G]tomorrow I’ll wake up [D]late

[G]Maybe take a little [D]break

I’m [A]tired of telling my [G]story

[A]Tired of all the [G]worry

Tired of [A]hearing how we sure could [G]use you

If [Bm]only our pro[A]posal [G]wins

[D]Tired but I [A]have to go on

Go on [G]searching

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: "The Layoff"

Hi Jeff
I want to say it's a great song being so true...
As they say which is a bit lame but true also "As one door closes another opens"
Good luck
ark

Thanks Ark - I have been hearing that a lot lately as well as "everything happens for a reason". I'm still waiting for that reason and that other door to open.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

hi jeff,

having gone through this myself last year, the disbelief, the anger and finally the resignation! the factory and the job i thought would last till i retired in 6 years time closed and now is just level ground. i find i'm still very angry (and struggling to keep my language clean!)
i went though all the job applications, cv's etc. if i got to the interview stage i usually got offered jobs (but were total time wasters).

now a year on, i'm back in work, it's not satisfying or gratifying or what i was looking for. but it does get me out from under the wifes feet, and it pays the bills. i'm glad of that because mr cameron the new primeminister, would have robbed me as he will all the other poor saps on the dole and low payed and all the poor honest folk just as maggie thatcher did in the 80's and 90's. stop ranting phillip!

anyway, enjoy your free time while you can, cos somewhere just over the horizon another job is waiting for you, and you'll be too proud to refuse it like i was.

great song by the way, i did one along the same lines my self, but with more swear words in...great therapy!

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Going through the same thing here. Your lyrics resonate for sure. Trying to keep optimistic which has never been easy for me. I'll be out in a month or so for sure so I'm hitting the ground running got a few good leads. I've never been laid off before in 25 years of woking....

Great song thanks for sharing. Keep smiling and strumming it'll all work out

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Hey Geo & Phil - Thanks very much. I know so many are in my shoes and have been there a lot longer than I have. For those of you who haven't, this royally sucks. I have been steadily employed since 1979 and I have always been told I do a great job. On the up side, this lay off did get me off the fence to start my masters program. I have been playing my guitar every day and God bless it. I would have gone nuts already if not for my 6 string.

J  E  T  S

Aprapro.

Appropot, my better 1/2 says!!! LOL Hate French.

Good song and good therapy Jeff to get some of it out!  While I haven't officially been laid off from anything, I am tired of staying at home with the kids and have been looking for something decent to do with my time and make a little money.  I'm on a different end of it though, I can't AFFORD to go to work (can't make enough to pay childcare and bring money home at the end of the day, it would cost us money if I was working instead of make us money... for how long?  Until I was making more money! ahhh).  So I do know that endless search for the right job all too well... telling the story of yourself over and over.  "Where do you see yourself in five years?"  UGH... I hate that question!  It's tough to stay positive at interviews when things are going so negative in the search... and job offers that stink brings it down even more!  GOOD LUCK!  Your lyrics hit all the right feelings in that annoying search.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Excellent song Jeff.  The topic definitely hits home with a lot of folks right now.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Thanks you all.

Amy, I have a lot of respect for stay at home moms. I think that is one of the toughest jobs in America today but also one of the most important. Hang in there. Meanwhile I will keep my chin up and stay hopeful. I had 3 pretty good interviews last week and I think I will be getting a call for another one this coming week.

J  E  T  S

I got laid off a couple weeks ago, and this song really says it all.  I am fortunate enough to have found a job that I just started, but it was a whirlwind couple of weeks.  Remember, it's temporary.  Keep on gunnin' for it and you'll find your way.  Thank you for moderating the site, I really have been in a super creative mood since I started posting here, and I really like the community.

Dan

Music is my savior/I was maimed by Rock and Roll/I was tamed by Rock and Roll/I got my name/From Rock and Roll

-Jeff Tweedy

Thanks Dan - Yep, the layoff sucks but it has helped me write more songs lately. Glad you found something. I am still looking but things are looking better.  Chordie is a great place for creativity.

J  E  T  S

Hi Jeff,

Great song and very nice chord sequence, it is just the reason behind it that stinks.

Good luck with the job hunting.

Roger

PS. Maybe there will be a bit of time for some recordings!!

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hey Roger - Thanks. I need to set up my studio somewhere else. My daughter and her family (2 kids and boyfriend) have taken over my basement until he lanes back on his feet. The rest of the acoustics in the house are not good and it will be the ole set it up and break it down routine which forces me to rush through the recording.

J  E  T  S

This is so wonderful jets.

Its the silent scream from everyone here also. We have the highest dole/ out of work people
in the history of this wee nation.

Its shocking in more ways then one. Shocking for me when i see a foreign national spending a goverment food voucher on 3 bottles of Listermint mouthwash !! 3 euros 50 a bottle { probably about 5 dollars  a bottle} FOOD VOUCHERS SHOULD BE JUST USED FOR Food.. Whose fooling who in this econmy.
I know i sound mean and unchristian, but, i strongly resent my taxes being spent in a haphazard way like this. I also strongly resent the amount of euro collected on social welfare and immediately being sent abroad by Western Union ! If your poor you cannot afford to do this.. Its a blatant abuse of the system and our # hole politicians are allowing this... No wonder were back now to our people immigrating.

Lost pensions for all who worked so hard { me included } over so many years. Im a lucky
one as i own my own home, am my own boss { even thought the work is drying up big time }.
People cant eat flowers ! I can adjust to other work ive qualified  at over the years.
It keeps me warm and fed..
Heaven help the people with young families, you can sense there absolute hopelessness.
Joblessness is not just a statistic; it is a human tale of personal struggle and social devastation right across the board.
My apologies jets for being long winded, Your song is strong, as is my belief  in good honest people who wish to work to earn there living.
Blessings on you and yours..
I wil tomorrow do something here, for you jets to have a job soon..Its a wee cermony/ ritual  for work to come your way..

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks very much Lena - I am grateful for your friendship and help.

J  E  T  S