1 (edited by Buzzwagon 2010-10-16 16:10:56)

Topic: And yet another new Telecaster

Yep, I decided to treat myself and this morning went out and bought myself a second hand 72 reissue Japanese Fender Telecaster. Absolutely superb. I played it back to back with an American standard and, (please feel free to shoot me down in flames), I thought the Japanese guitar was every inch its equal!

Stunning in blonde with a white scratchplate and a maple neck and fretboard, super fast action and that lovely tele twang. Guess what I'll be doing the rest of the weekend. It looks great sat next to my Classic Player 60's Strat, Epiphone Wildkat, Ovation and Tanglewood Classical.

While I was buying that, my mate, who only came out to have a little play, was spending nearly £1000 on beautiful 2 colour burst American Standard Strat with a humbucker as a bridge pup. The thing is so good it almost plays itself! What can say, Carl at Andertons made a few quid in commissions from us this morning!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Re: And yet another new Telecaster

You are guitar rich, Jerry. Congratulations.
My wife will let me buy a second tuba as soon as I demonstrate to her satisfaction that I can play both of them at the same time.
She lets me keep a mid-70's Yamaha 350W acoustic and a 1960  Gibson ES 330 for my electric axe.
Always loved the Fender neck and the unique sound. Anybody wants to buy me a Tele, I would be eternally grateful.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

<----- jealous

You darn skippy I'm jealous.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Congrats on the New Acquisition! The Japan models are typically second to none!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine!

I have to tell you I have a chinese strat that is every bit as good as any and I have owned several American strats,tele's and jazzmasters thru the years we like to think of the American strat as one that was built in the U.S. that is true to an extent but most of the parts (electronics and hardware) is imported from oversees and assembled in the states but the early models were all American made. smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

so the japanese one is good....i'm glad to hear it and glad you like your new guitar.

as soon as i touched mine in the shop i new i had to have it.

so the jap is good...imagine if the germans started making tele's?

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I have  Japanese MIJ strat with a fotoflame finish.  I like it a lot, but had to get new pickups (Tex-Mex) since it came with pretty cheap ones, and rewired and shielded while I was at it (like any strat it has the single coil 60 hz hum).  Otherwise, really good hardware and well made.  The Fenders Made in Japan (MIJ) are built at the famous FujiGen factory and are pretty much state of the art, just in time manufacturing, keeping the price down. Later models are labelled CIJ "Crafted in Japan" and from a different factory but I am not sure if they are much different and I would think the quality of material is the same.  The fotoflame finish is an ash body with basswood cap and sounds very much like the American Standard model.   Many Japanese Fenders replace ash with basswood which is a much lighter wood and therefore does not reverberate like ash, giving them a somewhat thinner sound, at least according to the experts. 

Overall I think they are good value, play and sound great.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix