Topic: Surprise Gig

Stopped in at The Fish River Grill to get a couple of catfish plates to go and met the owner who used to cut my hair.
She told me she wanted to make her place a music venue and asked me if I was still gigging. I told her I played out occasionally with my grandson, Casey, but mostly was living the quiet life of a retiree.
She told me she had a guy to play Thursday throught Saturday and asked me if I would play Monday through Wednesday. I came in to hear her weekend guy and found him to be competent and most pleasant but VERY country music oriented. The crowd is locals and quiet country ballads go over well there because the crowd is there to eat - not drink very much.
I played Monday and Tuesday and she announced that her weekend guy had a day job that was too demanding and she wanted me to go six nights.
My accent is not of the country but I can get away with citified country songs like Charlie Rich or maybe George Strait.I'm kinda old for this but the money is life-changing and I am going to hang in as long as I can.
Had Casey in to play Wednesday. They tip me ones but they tip him fivers.
Here it is Friday and I haven't been fired yet.
I'll let you know how it goes.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Re: Surprise Gig

Sounds great toots.  What else have you got to do, right?  It sounds like you may become a regular there.  Good for you.  Keep it up as long as you can.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I'm guessing Casey is making the fivers due to his cuteness!  smile  Good for you and Casey!  Funny how things work out.  This story sounds like a song in the making!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Congrats toots! Looking forward to seeing some vids of your gigs.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Hi guys,
Had a great Saturday crowd. Got to do a little light comedy towards the end of the evening.
A problem: I wake up this morning and the left hand index finger is sore and stiff at the second knuckle. This happened before when I played a lot.
I could force the finger to bend and could play a gig with little pain but the next morning, the knuckle was even stiffer. The left index is the one we have to bend double to press second string first fret to make the C in a C chord.
If you can't play C chord you can't play guitar .
Any of you guys have to deal with digital arthritis?
When I was younger a wider guitar strap helped a lot by distributing the guitar's weight better over all those blood vessels at the top of the shoulder.
I use a wide strap. I hate to sit down and pick because I can never jump up and down. I like to jump - even at my age.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
toots

Hi Toots,

OK I've got problems too.... degenerative disk disease.  So, the trick for me is to attack inflammation before i get a chance to let things swell up to the point that it becomes painful and difficult to move the joints.  Yes I do have some really heavy duty drugs for when nothing else will do, but most of them have side effects that are not nice (like loss of brain function).  A couple of Naproxins (Advil) a half hour or more prior to a bout of serious activity, like walking through a grocery store, or playing guitar for a couple hours straight, goes a long way in keeping things settled down.  Tramadol works well also, but I would not recommend that unless you have a M.D. give the okey dokey.... you don't usually need a prescription for it, but one of the side effects is sudden heart failure.  Somehow waking up dead, no matter how rare is one of the "side effects" that one would really want to avoid!

Take Care of yerself, break often and stretch things a bit when you can.
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks, Doug, sorry to read you got big troubles.
I pray you overcome.
I'm gonna try some Advil before tomorrows gig.
Topdown, I will try to get a vid made before I get fired.
Mekidsmom, thank you and bless you for being so sympatico. I am thinking about a story song.
Bensonp, I love the wonderful atitude of the owner and all the employees there. They were voted the best burger in the county. The food is fried but top quality. Beer is served in icy mugs.
The men's room is immaculate. I appreciate good folks who are willing to work to be the best and I am working to be worthy of them.

Things are kinda working themselves out. I played six nights straight, had Sunday off and played Monday and Tuesday. I said nothing to Ms. Diana (owner) but I was wondering how long I could keep up that much playing without a drop in energy.
She announced Last night that I will play in a rotation with five or six other guitar players. COOL!
Since I live five minutes away, one or two nights a week will give me running money and a chance to tighten up my act without too much stress on these old bones.
Casey came in to play last night and took some video. We will edit down to some snippets and I will post them here in a few days.
I went down to hear the new song guy tonight. He was most pleasant, very country and whispered when he sang. I found out he lived on the opposite end of a street I lived on for 35 years and tonight was the first time we met. He had a brand new Martin acoustic his girl friend gave him. After recieving that he felt obligated to buy her an engagement ring which he did.
He asked me up to play and his new Martin fretted light as a feather. He has a box that adds a one or two harmony lines to his singing. I Sang "Please Release Me" by Englebert Humperdink super slow. He pushed the button for me and I got to sing the whole darn song in three part harmony.
I GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THESE! $300 he paid for it. My 69th birthday and Christmas are soon to come. I'll cop this toy and grow up later, maybe.
Had one beer and carried off a huge catfish plate to share with my Hariett for $13 plus tip. Great chow cheap!
Same guy will be there tomorrow but I am told the Friday guy is super good. I will go hear him and I am delighted to have time for a carefree sail now that the oil is going away from our waters.
Happy boy!
toots

Toots!  Sounds like everything is working out perfectly.  I'll guess her plan all along was to have a few different folks in there playing to keep things fresh and new.  You were here stand in guy while she was finding some more, I'd say that's a huge honor and now you are rewarded with some time off, some time to play, and some time to be on stage.  AWESOME!  Wish I was in Alabama right now so I could stop by for a big ole Catfish and some music.  smile

Dear Ms. Amy,
Anytime you and your gang ever find yourselves in this neck of the woods, I promise you will be made to feel most welcome. It would be a great honor and pleasure to meet you, hubster, and your young ones.

What a great thread! This sounds like the perfect gig for you toobs....really glad it's going well.

P.S. I think the fact they had you play so much early on is PROOF that you can play that much without losing any energy from your performance.

Great job......keep the news coming!

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

12 (edited by tubatooter1940 2010-08-07 14:47:45)

Thanks Bud_wiser,
I played 5 P.M to 8 P.M. Monday and Tuesday this week. Two nights did not make my stiff left index finger any worse. Between the Advil and rubbing Activon on it a few times a day it seems to be O.K.                                                             I order my free meal to arrive at closing time. My wife and I share it and there is aplenty for both of us and a snack for the cat. They have a sandwich called the "Redneck Ruben" with fries and "Swamp Soup" that is our current favorite.
The place is called "Fish River Grill #2" on Hwy 59 in Foley, Alabama. I googled it up and friended it on Facebook.
I did some research on the vocal harmony and effects pedal I got to try the night Jim McAdams was playing.
It is called the T.C. Helicon Voice Tone Harmony G-XT. I Googled it up and they had great info plus videos of a single guy and a girl single guitar acts using this pedal. Very impressive. Lots-o-help on vocals for a single guitar/vocal act. You plug your guitar and microphone into this box and it can tell what harmonies to add by the guitar chord you are playing.
I thought at my age I was through purchasing equipment but this pedal is a must have at $249 U.S. in the Musician's Friend Online Catalogue.
I will now ask S.W.A.M.B.O. (she who always must be obeyed) for permission to order it this week.
My buddy, John Reno is lending me a C.D. player that will jack into my P.A. so I can play my C.D. and any other music I want through my system during my breaks. Cool!
toots

Well I managed to get fired. It wasn't easy but I was dumb enough to throw myself under the bus.
I'm 69 and Ive been doing this since high school.
All I've been able to learn is that each sit down gig is new, special and unique.
My downfall began on a slow night when a large group including my grandson's third grade teacher came in and asked me if Casey was playing tonight. I took a short break and drove home, loaded up the Case Monster and his Djembe drum and was back in 10 minutes. I know better than to let one table choose all the songs but these guys, though loud and boisterous were most all we had in the joint. They knew Casey does a great job on T.N.T. by AC/DC and we played it for them distortion on the Gibson and all.
Problem is, I was hired to play endless soft, ballads
for a dinner crowd. AC/DC is NOT dinner music and volume is a real problem in this room with masonry walls and tile floors. That was also the first night I used my harmonizer and I got a tad carried away. The boss got complaints and I got canned. sad
Two weeks go by and I stop in for more catfish. Boss tells me she is having trouble with all the other musicians being too loud. I asked her if I might stop by and play my acoustic guitar and sing without a sound system. She said yes. I played a few hours ago and I am rehired. Yeah baby - back in the rotation. I play Saturday noon 'til three. I even bought some thin nylon picks so my hot new Earnie Ball medium light strings won't ring out too loud. Lady wants three hours of ballads and that's exactly what she's gonna get.
Humbled but happy,
toots

Toots - I'd bet rockin' out T.N.T. with Casey  in front of his teacher was well worth anything lost by your short term leave from your gig. A valuable life lesson was taught - sometimes, regardless of what management thinks, you just gotta ROCK!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Toots, sorry to hear about being canned...  All worked out in the end, you got your ballad gig back and there aren't too many hard feelings.  The bonus is you have a good story to tell and Casey does too!  I can hear him at school now, "yup, me and the Popster got fired for rocking out the old folks!  They just couldn't handle all our awesomeness!"  LOL!

Well, I am glad everything worked out well for you, toots.  Way to go.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

17 (edited by tubatooter1940 2010-09-12 14:44:50)

Topdown, Pete and MKM, your wise counsel is very much appreciated. Thank you all for recognizing and encouraging my tendency to boogie in spite of the consequences.
My buddy John Reno has been gigging for 20+ years. He told me, "There's mood music and food music. Which of these do you need to be playing?"
I really should grow up one of these days - but not too soon.
toots

I love it Toots,

I never seem to grow up either, my wife says I'm a 17 yr old trapped in a 56 year old body smile

Sure glad they chilled and gave you another shot, please try to behave yourself smile

Later, Wayne P

Great story Toots, I like a little drama with a happy ending.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

20 (edited by tubatooter1940 2010-09-14 02:05:20)

Thank you, Roger. Drama in  huge quantities  seems to dog my heels everyday of my life.
Wlbaye, your post reminds me of my 56th birthday.
I was feeling like this birthday I might be getting "over the hill" so I gathered all my rowdy guitar buddies and we jammed out at Fly Creek Cafe with my big P.A. system far into the night with a #3 wash tub full of beer and ice.
The police showed up and shut us down. That made me feel so much better. If the law has to shut down my birthday party, I can't be that far over the hill.
I decided to only worry about things over which  I have some control.
toots

Toots, way to go - it just go's to show that you are never too old to be a full on rocker. Sometimes you just ''gotta do what you wanna do'' - loud and proud, keep it up. You also prove that age is nothing but a state of mind.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

I love happy endings...:)

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

Nice thread Toots,

I enjoyed reading all the post here.. Excitement, downfall, expectation, tribulation,  Just like a wee drama lol

As for the free dinners< id work for them alone.. lol

Ps. Gabby, ive heard you sing before, you have a beautiful singing voice, May God bless it.

Old Doll

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Way to go toots! Hit em w/ some Dwight Yokam, easy stuff to play and real country

Great thread Toots - reminds me of Toney's epic gigging tales that had me logging on every day for the next update! A nice little job you have there & you write about it with great style & wit.  I've never had catfish, but I like the sound of the food at your workplace...
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic