Topic: improvising and jamming in a key

does anyone one know how to get started with improvising and jamming in a key.

thnx

Re: improvising and jamming in a key

Good Morning,

You might want to check out the Theory section and the sticky at the top where Jerome has posted a nice tutorial on scales.  Once you have the chords down pat, you will want to be able to run the scales for each of the major and minor chords.  To start with, the Pentatonic scale is going to be the most useful in the beginning as it is used in most country and rock music.  A lot of the "shredders" out there toss in Phrygian and Lydian modes for additional flavor, but Pentatonic is a good place to start.

You put this in the Acoustic section, so I'm going to assume that you are playing "un-plugged" mostly..... I'd be fiddling around with walking bass lines, hammers and pull-offs, a bit of bending and short fill licks to add character to a tune.  Kinda take bits of stuff that sounds good to you and fit it in where you feel it.  If it doesn't fit, just experiment. 

Hop on to youtube and watch a little BB King and a few of the jazz greats to see and hear what they had going on.  Mr. King could say so much and make great music with just a few notes placed in the right places.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I will answer this "generally" because I don't know your playing background.  To improvise  great sounding solos you want to study scales first.  Pentatonic scale forms are usually the first scales most guitarists learn.  They are "easy" to finger and memorize.  There are hundreds of books and youtube videos out there you can check out, however, the most efficient use of your time is to take a few lessons with an experienced lead guitar player.

I second what jimhickeymusic says.  If you want to improvise in a key, you need to understand scales and how the intervals of notes relate to one another within a scale.  It's all patterns, so once you know the minor pentatonic scale for example, you know it in every key.  There are a ton of Youtube videos to help you learn scales and see how they relate to creating solos. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

5 (edited by AccoustikNoyz 2010-11-14 13:24:04)

Best teaching partner I've done was to buy a looper.  Mine is a RC-2.  Record a 4 chord progression in whatever key you wish to improvise.  Then you can lay individual riffs and note progressions in the same key using the notes in that key.  Like Doug says, starting with a Pentatonic scale will suit you well.  GOod luck.

I'm also quoting johncross21 link to a good site because a backing track is also a fun way to practice jamming.

johncross21 wrote:

theres some great blues backing tracks on you tube for noddling along to

also just found a little archive of backing tracks for playing along to

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/bands/A.htm