Topic: Nothing Matters, and What if it Did: What your guitar says about you.

Chordites:
What does your choice of guitar say about you? I am specifically talking about Acoustics as I couldn't care less about the "electric" types (although I am an electrical engineer). For example, Gwyneth Paltrow's recent emergence as a player. She sports a coulple of Gibsons: J200? and some sort of sunburst with a florentine cutaway. Now we all know she couldn't have selected a Martin for obvious reasons and celebs almost always chose American but is there more to the story?

I enjoy playing "guitar spotter" as I am fascinated by what other people chose to play and why? In two years I've owned twenty guitars trying to find the right one. Unfortunately my purchases have been driven more by appearance then sound due to my lack of skill but it has been a fascinating journey.
David

Re: Nothing Matters, and What if it Did: What your guitar says about you.

If the fingerboard is worn and the body is scratched up from the pick and maybe there's a few bangs and perhaps a burn mark from a campfire ember, that'd say that I'd like to get to know you better. 

Otherwise, I figure people pick guitars that are comfortable for their hands and arms and sound good to them in the style they play. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey David..  my thought is it really doesn't say much..  its the person's talent that speaks volumes..  someone can have an inexpensive guitar and make it sound like a million bucks cause they can play..  I'm not saying a top of the line Gibson or Martin, Taylor, etc won't make a difference sound wise and action wise though  - it will.  I, too always check out what guitar folks choose to buy..   Twenty guitars in 2 years..  wow.  Currently I have 8 guitars..  the Martin HD28 is my fave.  But I have a Godin, lower end  Art & Lutherie acoustic electric.  It is quite nice too.  Cedar with a cut away..  it has a nice brilliant sound..  good luck.
Deb

Zurf,
You must be a master at non-verbal communication!

In the case of celebs it is at least particially about image and for the cynical selling more guitars. Witness Taylor Swift's Svarsky (sp?) crystall encrusted (bedazzled) Taylor (and the subsequent shameless offering of the "Taylor Swift" edition of the Baby T). Heck, even her last name played a role (I'm sure) in the brand slection. BTW I do like her music (I have a teenage daughter) and think TS is VERY talented.

Debrap,
I must clarify and correct. Let me say less than ten guitars in two years. (I am on coffee this am!) and I do buy and sell so my current inventory is three. Sorry I had a bowl of high-fructose hyberbole for breakfast.
David

I think for most beginner players they go for the good looking shiny guitars, but this goes away as they gain experience.  My Fender accoustic is the prettier of my two guitars.  I bought my Martin in 2009 and it is very palin looking, but it sounds wonderful compared to the Fender.  My next one is going to be a Martin HD-28 sunburst, so I go from pretty and average sounding to plain and great sounding to Pretty and great sounding.  Go figure.  I'm not sure what that says about me.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hey Zurf..  I love worn guitars too..  one of my favorite artists plays a Gibson J45.. totally worn from use.  Still sounds great of course. 
Deb

Kind of like this one... http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kw3pld5Ua61qawmrb.jpg

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

But you know, Trigger actually does have a good bit to say about Willie now that I think on it a bit...

Yeah, kinda like that...  That is something isn't it..  gotta love Willie.

If only that beat up guitar could talk,   the stories.

badeye   cool

one caper after another

I have never bought a brand new guitar. I currently have 2. One is a Hohner electro-acoustic and the other is a Fender strat. The fender is more like a beautiful piece of art that sits proudly in my living room. I suppose i should play it more often but my Honer is played at least 4 or five days a week,( Sundays and Wednesdays with my mates in our local, the rest in the house). I enjoy the sound of the acoustic much more and find easier to learn songs playing it. Oh i also have a Rally mandolin which my wife bought me last christmas. I dont play on the mandolin enough to call myself even a novice.

cheers 

sinkybhoy

Zurf!!! Where did you get Willie's guitar??

Good Thread!

You know, maybe I'm strange or something....  what you play (as in equipment) doesn't say as much about you as the music you make with it.  I kinda pay attention to the music in your repertoir that you play by heart and don't need sheet music for.  Kind of a "window to the soul" thing, says a lot about what kind of person you are or would like to be.  Original work is also quite revealing.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

15 (edited by Guitarpix 2010-11-22 22:48:22)

I'm almost embarrassed to say how many guitars I've owned...... It's very close to (if not over) 50 with 22 being the most at one time.  I don't have any good music stores close by so if I wanted to try a model, I'd buy one (used usually) online and play it for a few months and either put it away as a keeper or resale it. There aren't many brands/models that I haven't tried at one point or another (that I had interest in)...  A few of the brands that have visited are takamini, ibanez, epiphone, garrison, indiana, ensenada, morgan monroe, Alvarez, Yairi (S & K models), Art & lutherie, Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Norman, Gibson, Eastman, martin, taylor, and even a Sitka/EIR Santa Cruz dread.... Probably left out a few but you get the drift.... Now I'm not rich and am not naming off all these guitars to boast... But just to say where I'm coming from... 

Here's my take on what I've learned after owning all these. Remember, this is only my opinion and is based on what fit's me and my style of play. I'm sure others will disagree and that's cool smile

- Money doesn't buy tone
- Solid woods (back and sides) are overrated
- Solid tops almost always sound better
- The best bang for the buck is found in the sub $1000 category
- Made in China should no longer be a bad omen ( though they should be shopped carefully)
- Bracing of the top has more to do with the tone than the woods used (don't get too hung up on Eir vs Hog vs BRW vs Tas Blk )
- Some of the best values are coming out of Canada
- Playability will effect your tone much more than you would think
- Guitars should be bought based on tone first with playability a close second
- Cosmetics shouldn't be a real factor when shopping (Though it does help smile)
- Guitars with voiced tops will almost always sound better than production guitars with precut bracing
- Neck joints don't affect the tone as much as some like to believe
- Strings and picks play a huge role in the tone of any guitar!! 

I could keep going but I'll stop there wink  Like I said these are only my views.....

After all this experimenting my favorite guitars are Yairi's (Kazuo Yairi) from the early 70's to early-mid 80's, Second place goes to the Showcase line from S&P, and third would be Taylor.

Currently I own 8.    Five are Yairi's, 2 are older S&P Pro models and the other is a newer S&P Showcase.  I'm seriously considering selling my S&P's and becoming a straight up Yairi man smile Don't be surprised to see a few pop up in the classifieds this weekend wink

I have no idea what my guitars say about me..... 95% of my music is laid back and chilled though big_smile   

Sorry if I missed the point and carried on a bit wink -Chris

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Both my guitars are antiques and so am I.
My tuba is a year older than I am. Like me, it is too heavy, beat up, dented and no longer a thing of beauty.
I love my instruments and will never part with them. My grandson will have to decide what to do about them.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Guitarpix,
thanks for the observations. I agree with many but will make a note of yours as I continue my journey through and around guitars. I buy and sell often trying to cull the good (in my opinion) from the bad. I derive much joy from this.
David

Guitarpix...  You mention the music store isn't close by..  you ARE the music store with all those guitars..  smile  Very cool.  Once I buy a guitar, I keep it..  it would be so hard to let go of..  although, I did just give one away for a charity type thing..  someone I know is off to Africa and asked for a bunch of instruments with the goal being they're going to supply some village there with instuments and teach them to play..  Kind of a cool thing organized by the guy's church..  it was a black Rogue guitar that was a free gift when I purchased some strings.. which in itself is a crazy thing.  Thanks for your thoughts, I agree with many.. 
Deb

Guitarpix,
Point #2, "solid woods (back and sides) are overated", is particularly refreshing to me as I've battled this one. I currenly own two all-lam guitars and one all-solid (or maybe the back is laminate, some debate on this).

The first/best advice I've ever received is to seek a solid-top. Sometimes I have actually heeded this advice and sometime not (SOMETIMES, but not always, at my own auditory peril).

I think a "Guitar Buyer's" book is in your future. You could help millions of future players avoid hours , months, years of frustration.
David

20 (edited by Guitarpix 2010-11-24 23:08:58)

naolslager wrote:

Guitarpix,
Point #2, "solid woods (back and sides) are overated", is particularly refreshing to me as I've battled this one. I currenly own two all-lam guitars and one all-solid (or maybe the back is laminate, some debate on this).

Are you familiar with Antonio de Torres, the father of the modern classical guitar? He was a top shelf luthier that believed the top was by far the most important factor. To prove this he built a guitar with paper- mache back and sides... 

Now we don't have that guitar to listen to but David of the "Official Luthiers Forum" built a replica using cardboard for the back and sides and you can listen to that guitar here... http://www.guitarsbydavidlaplante.com/a … eplica.mp3       I just thought you'd find that interesting smile Sounds darn good to me big_smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Thanks Guitarpix!

Guitarpix wrote:

Are you familiar with Antonio de Torres, the father of the modern classical guitar? He was a top shelf luthier that believed the top was by far the most important factor. To prove this he built a guitar with paper- mache back and sides... 

Now we don't have that guitar to listen to but David of the "Official Luthiers Forum" built a replica using cardboard for the back and sides and you can listen to that guitar here... http://www.guitarsbydavidlaplante.com/a … eplica.mp3       I just thought you'd find that interesting smile Sounds darn good to me big_smile

WOW!  That sounds fantastic!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Sorry Pix,
I cannot agree about solid wood guitars being overrated. I have played some very nice laminates and still own a couple but to me there is a natural wood tone missing from laminates. I love solid wood back , sides and tops. I am not saying you have to break the bank on a solid wood guitar. I don't care if they are America, Chinese or elsewhere. Solid wood guitars are where it's at!!!!!!!!!!!

Later, Wayne P

24 (edited by Guitarpix 2010-11-26 15:57:52)

wlbaye wrote:

Sorry Pix,
I cannot agree about solid wood guitars being overrated. I have played some very nice laminates and still own a couple but to me there is a natural wood tone missing from laminates. I love solid wood back , sides and tops. I am not saying you have to break the bank on a solid wood guitar. I don't care if they are America, Chinese or elsewhere. Solid wood guitars are where it's at!!!!!!!!!!!

That's cool Wayne smile That and the neck joint statement I expected some to disagree with... I could throw out loads of technical data but it probably wouldn't help wink (Just meaning it's hard to sway people about these things with technical data...) I think where a lot of it comes in is that at the price point of "good" Solid wood guitars you also get into better voiced tops but most of the credit goes to the woods when it's really better construction, bracing styles, and build quality...  I think "laminate" is often misunderstood. I'm not talking cheap plywood like most associate with it. The good laminates are made from 2 or 3 sheets of solid woods glued with hide glue. They age like solid woods but are more stable and consistent, still adding that woods tonal color to the guitar. 

Now please keep in mind I said "overated". I'm not saying they're bad just that people put too much stock in having a solid wood guitar. Give me a quality laminate (back & sides) that has been tap tuned and voiced over a solid wood guitar in the same price range (or higher) off a production line that hasn't been any day!!

Love discussing/bebating these things big_smile

Solid wood guitars to me have a Breath and different voice and I just love  the woodiness that comes out of them. I have been playing a Martin Eric Clapton signature at my local store for about a year. I would not have give you much for it a year ago but today it is just a wonderful guitar and doesn't even sound like the same guitar. I am not interested in a signature but I just am so content to go their and play it . Hope they never sell it, it's a treat to play.

Later, Wayne P