Topic: acoustic electric?

Hi,

I am kicking around thoughts of getting a new guitar. Right now I have a Johnson JG-100 student guitar. I am starting at about $300 in price range. I know I can find a regular acoustic in that price range (even lower). But what about acoustic electric? What are the benefits of going acoustic electric? Thanks!

Re: acoustic electric?

You could get an electro acoustic for that money.

The advantages would be that you could play with others who are amplified, (assuming you're also amplified), ie a band, and you can play around with some effects which is always good fun. In terms of playability electro acoustics change nothing. I'm assuming here that your talking about an acoustic with a pick up.
If however you're talking about something like an archtop then you gain the benefits of lighter gauge strings, faster action and potentially more tonal variation.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

To my mind, Acoustic is Acoustic.... A/E guitars should sound as good un-plugged as amplified.

BUT, when you are shopping and have a budget, find the best sounding guitar you can in your price range and don't let the lack of a pickup dissuade you from the purchase.   Some time down the road it is possible to install a pup without breaking the bank.  My personal favorite is K&K Sound's Pure Mini at around $125 US.  Put a set in a Taylor and it sounds as good or better than the Factory Installed option at considerably less cost.

As usual I am also going to stress that you put your own paws on as many as you can, and play all the candidates.  Sometimes you will find a real sweet sounding instrument that fits you well without spending as much as you planned.  So shop around!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Play it acoustically to check for quality.  You can always fix a pup that doesn't sound good, but you can't fix a guitar that doesn't sound good.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Thanks for the advice! I will probably go with a regular old acoustic.

I saw a used Alvarez RD8 for $120 in a guitar store today. I liked the sound and feel of it. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Sound and feel about covers it, I think. 

Take a good careful look at the neck to be sure that it's straight - maybe even have them put it on the bench and demonstrate with a level or straight edge that the neck isn't twisted or un-naturally bowed.  Look carefully at the frets to see that they're well seated and level.  Look across the neck at them and then down the neck at them.  Look carefully around the body for damage. 

But mostly those things will show up in the sound or the feel.  If you can tune it and play it and you like the way it feels, that's a pretty good indication that it's not in terrible shape. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

UPDATE:

I had another look at it yesterday and saw a small crack on the bottom. Thinking I should not get this one.

I have a Yamaha APX500 and have found it to be an excellent instrument for a very reasonable price. It is a slightly smaller bodied guitar but I find the sound unplugged to have a lovely warm tone, although the smaller body reduces the unplugged volume a bit. When plugged in it sounds totally natural and with the on-board EQ you can easily adjust the sound and tone as required. The built-in tuner is also a big plus. Playability is one of the best I tried, and I tried a lot of more expensive instruments. Good action and with a slightly narrower neck whick suits my small hand. I love it.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I second that Alvee!!!! I love my APX500 for the very reasons you do. I had it narrowed down to the Yamaha and 2 others. The Yamaha came out victorious and I've never looked back.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi nevets did you consider getting an acoustic and buying a pickup to put in as you please in the sound hole,that is what I do when I want to play my yamaha on an amp.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I have have no problem getting an acoustic and adding a pickup.

The truth is I don't really have a NEED to go electirc I just figured if I was spending close to $300(or more) on a new guitar I might as well get more bang for the buck.

Getting back to the used Alvarez RD8 for $120. I played the heck out of it on Saturday night at the store. It would definately be a fun cheap guitar to beat on while I am stilllearning to play. But , as I mentioned it had a small impact dent/crack on the bottom(near the seam where the top and bottom meet). Did this affect the playing? I am not sure. It may or may not cause a problem so I decided to wait on the possibility of another used Alvarez down the road.

I'm not a luthier, so I can't give you a solid answer.  However, were it my money, I'd be hesitant to spend it on a guitar with a crack in it.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I've also checked out the Yamaha AE....very LOW action...worth a look!

nevets17 wrote:

I have have no problem getting an acoustic and adding a pickup.

The truth is I don't really have a NEED to go electirc I just figured if I was spending close to $300(or more) on a new guitar I might as well get more bang for the buck.

Getting back to the used Alvarez RD8 for $120. I played the heck out of it on Saturday night at the store. It would definately be a fun cheap guitar to beat on while I am stilllearning to play. But , as I mentioned it had a small impact dent/crack on the bottom(near the seam where the top and bottom meet). Did this affect the playing? I am not sure. It may or may not cause a problem so I decided to wait on the possibility of another used Alvarez down the road.

You have $300 to spend, why take a chance, you're doing the right thing waiting. As for going electric giving you bang for bucks, I'm not sure that would be the case. For $300 you won't be getting anything like a top line guitar and you be better off spending your money on a better quality acoustic. You will notice the difference in quality and it will show in your playing.

A little known fact: Eric Clapton very nearly gave up the guitar before he'd even started due to his first guitar being a cheap and almost unplayable piece of junk, when he bought a better guitar he found it all became so much easier and he kept it up. Bang for bucks doesn't necessarily equate to electricity!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

15 (edited by hunterabbott1991 2010-12-28 20:37:50)

I have an Alvarez RD8C A/E cutaway, i got it for about 350 online. it sounds good unplugged as well as amped.   Also the actions are pretty good. Ive enjoyed mine a lot!

For an acustic guitar, The best sounding one I have tried is the Blueridge in the 3 to 400 range. They sound awsome and play nice too . Also the Takaminee dread sounds good

Ibanez ew20ase-nt
Martin D-18
Taylor GC-5

17 (edited by whitewater55 2011-01-09 18:06:23)

Check out the Kort semis, good workmanship, quick action, great pickups and sound great unplugged. They're in the 3-500 range.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

You will want an acoustic with solid tone woods which a decent one will cost you around $300. As for the electronics that can be added later. That or look for a used A/E with at least a solid top. There's a big difference that you will appreciate the older it gets.