Topic: Could use any Acoustic Amp help you folks have !!!

I sure could use some help on choosing an inexpensive acoustic amp for home use. I don't have a big budget but am considering either the:

- Behringer ACX 450 45 watt amp ( I love the split channel feature and mike input ) but am unsure of the sound / quality ( just over $200.00  )

- Fender Acoustasonic 30 DSP 30 watt amp ( lots of effects and tilt feature as well as the foot switch) ( about $350.00 )

* Canadian prices on both of these Amps, I would prefer to stay under $300.00 if possible.

Would you guys recommend either of these or is there something else I should be looking at in this price range ?

I need at least 30 watts, complete split channel, mike / headphone inputs and foot switch output would be nice.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your input,

Tony

Re: Could use any Acoustic Amp help you folks have !!!

Well I tell you Tony, you've chosen wisely.

Either of those will do the job for you.  Naturally Fender has all that reputation behind them and they do turn out a fine product, but personally I like the Behringer equipment I have used..... for the bucks a better deal in my mind.  Behringer is either using Bulgara or Jensen speakers depending on the amp and both are fine.  Now I do love the tube sound of my old Fender amp, but go to the Bhringer more often than not for all the effects and not having to wait for the darn thing to warm up before it starts screaming.

Best thing would be to grab your guitar and wander down to your local dealers and spend a little time playing through each of them , then make your decision.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Tony, welcome to Chordie.  If your budget is tight Behringer makes a mighty nice product.  The Acoustasonic 30 is a real nice coffee house open mic sort of amp.  I think it's a great guitar and mic sort of amp and I've never regretted purchasing mine.  I've had it for about 6 years.

Thanks Doug and AccoustikNoyz,

As acoustic amps are very new to me, I really do appreciate the information and you both have been most helpful. Thanks for the welcome, it's good to be here.

Cheers,

Tony

Also consider the Marshal AS50D.

henryb wrote:

Also consider the Marshal AS50D.

Thanks henry,

I actually checked out a good 20 minute youtube video on the Marshall AS50D Soloist Acoustic Amp awhile back.  It seemed like a really nice amp but I can't  recall the major differences; besides an increase in wattage to the others I am looking at ? Is it really that of a much higher quality amp in your opinion ?

I had the same problem as you some time ago and ended up plumping for the Marshall AS100D which I found to be a superb amp. At the end of the day amps is all Marshall do and they're bloody good at it. Definately try the AS50.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

I agree with Doug. Go test 'em out and see which you like best. I have the Behringer ACX450. I don't play out anywhere so I can't give any advice on that, but I do like the sound and I got it cheaper used so that sealed the deal for me.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Jerry, zguitar,

for adding your advice.

I will have to let you guys know which one I decided on in a couple of weeks. Looks like a small basement leak in the wall is going to require my amp money attention at the moment......geesh !!!

Hello tony, I weny through the same hassles as you about 4 years ago (before I found Chordie). I settled on an Ibanez Troubador TA 35 and I am very happy with the amp. Google this amp and read the features, I think the TA35 will suit your needs and your pocket well.
Cheers
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

If you want cheap.I bought a $60.00 amp at Wal-Mart. I has treble, mid and bass w/ a power booster button and take 1/4 headphone jack.

Ibanez make a troubadour 35w acoustic which is well worth looking at. It also has a mike input.
Rob

Robert Fleet wrote:

Ibanez make a troubadour 35w acoustic which is well worth looking at. It also has a mike input.
Rob

I can vouch for the Troubadour TA35. It has built in reverb and chorus a speaker out line, mic input, tilt cab, optional footswitch and 10" speaker that sounds really good. I think they are still available for under $300 US.

Future,  I'm confused.  Why do you need an acoustic amp for home use?  Acoustic guitars were designed for home use without amplification. Am I missing something? You say you need at least 30 watts.  There is a huge difference between 30 watts solid state and 30 watts tube. My main amp is a 30 watt tube amp and it is way too loud for the house.  It is way too loud for most of the bars that I play in. Sorry if I sound critical, I'm just trying to zoom in on what you really need.

Now available in 5G !

Keep in mind as you are looking for an acoustic amp that a keyboard amp or going thru a "head" into a monitor will do the same thing if all you are wanting is to just get "sound" from your guitar. Less $$$$, as well.

nela

I've got an 'acoustic' brand AG60 from Guitar Center.  The guy there said it's their house brand.  It's the only one that I saw that allowed two XLR or two 1/4" jacks per channel and had two channels.  So it would be possible for two people each with a guitar to plug in and all be amplified.  This saved me a ton of money buying powered speakers to run off my mixer board because it allows all the amplification plug-ins that I need.  The quality of the sound is..... OK. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

For an inexpensive amp I would say you will just have to try a few of them in a good music store. For amps to stay away from, I would avoid the Marshalls. I had one for two years when I first tried acoustic amps but after I tried a lot of others the Marshall was flat sounding. I sold mine on Ebay. Don't get me wrong that Marshalls are not good. They make the best stack units on the market for electric but I was very disappointed in the 50 watt I had. The best I have found, probably not in your price range, is the Fishman's. They are outstanding and because of there of their research and working relationships with the biggies like Martin, they really understand acoustic amplified sound. I have a 130 watt Fishman Performer that delivers the best acoustic sound I have ever heard. tandM3 is correct that you may not need a full 30 watts and tube amps are warmer and louder. Good luck.