Topic: Fender neck pickup

Installing a Fender Re-voiced  neck pickup and just noticed a small LUG appx 3 inches down the wire from the pickup, what does it attach to ?? Theres nothing but wood around the area of the neck pickup and this Lug is keeping me from pushing the wires down the routing channel. i've seen this little fella on a bridge pickup before ,to ground to the metal bridge, but never on a  neck pickup,??? Bootleger are you out there?  HELP,FiveO

Re: Fender neck pickup

Is this a true Fender brand pickup, I have not heard the term "Revoice" before. If you bought it brand new than Fender provides a wiring schmatic if not than go to their website (www.fender.com) and you can download schematics for all their electric guitars. Also is this a single coil or humbucker pickup. Typically a single coil will have two wires one black (goes to ground or earth for you "Brits" smile) and the white is the hot wire, on a strat it would be landed on the third post of your five way switch.
The also make single coil (double stacked) humbuckers.

If it is the standard humbucker pickup than it can be a 2-wire or what they call a 4 wire (it has five wires) usually green, red, white, black & bare. Bare & green gets put together and goes to ground, black goes to the volme pot, red and white goes together and gets landed on your 3 or 5 way switch (Fender type).

This will at least give you an idea, if not email me with more info and we'll work it out.

Bootlegger.

Hello, my friend, It's a single coil Fender , bought off eBay. It's a little hotter pickup they introduced in the 2006 models. I have one in a Mexican 2006, which does sound good. It looks exactly like any other Fender single coil neck PU, with one white wire and one black, its just got a little Lug or DooDad that you'd run  a screw through to anchor it down, just never seen it on a neck PU before, on a few Bridge PUs. It could be just to hold the wires down to the bottom of the route cavity, its not clear in the diagram ( already went to Fender .com ) Who knows ?? Thanks for responding...FiveO

If it is on the end of the ground wire just clip it off and soder to ground. If it is in between the two (black & white) it is just to hold them down. So long as it is not soldered in the middle of the wire I can think of no other use.  If it came out of a guitar without a pick guard that could be a ground connection to the bridige sandwiching it between the body and the bridge for the ground connection. Just a thought.

Bootlegger.

Thanks again, looks like you were right...FiveO

Bootleger, could he have a Telecaster P/U?

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

jaygordon75 wrote:

Bootleger, could he have a Telecaster P/U?

It's possible since he bought it used off of ebay, the neck pickups would look the same as any standard single coil pick up. The base of a tele bridge pickup is bigger than the standard single coil. With out a picture it is hard to confirm.

+1 for you jaygordon75 for thinking outside the box:)

Bootlegger.

Hey guys, looking back I wasn't very clear ,but Yes it is a  Telecaster. Sorry about that, fiveO....Thanks, again for replying......