Topic: How do you finger open A?

Hey all,

I was just wondering how other people finger the open A chord.  I usually bar my first finger across D, G, B, but I wish I could hear the high e sometimes.  I've tried using fingers 1,2,3 and 2,3,4, but it's kinda tough to cram them all on one fret and I tend to buzz.  Do you think I should stick with barring and missing out on high e or should I try to cram three fingers on there?  OR can other people bar and still hear high e?

Re: How do you finger open A?

Try putting your 1st finger on the G string, 2nd finger on the D string and 3rd finger on the B string.

Al

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

1,2,3 is the standard way 99% of people use. The other useful way is 3,4,2.

Why the heck would anyone want to cramp their pinkies up into 3,4,2? I hear you ask.

Well it's a sort of jazz thing. If you learn 3,4,2 your fingers are naturally in position for the F shape (or Em shape) barre chords. You can slip down one fret to easily make B minor and so forth. But if you aren't interested in 30s/40s classics then it's pretty academic ( I have a big soft spot for them, spent much of yesterday afternoon trying to nail 'Stormy Weather' - much finger ache).

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Hi
The A chord using 1,2,3  I find easiest for an open e. 

The A chord using 2,3,4 is handy for sliding up to the B chord but is murder on a soft pinky.

Practice the 1,2,3 with the open e as the note adds to the richness of the chord.

good luck

Ark

Hi Wormproof101,

I agree that the 1,2,3 fingering is the easiest however it is worth noting that all fingers do not have to be immediately behind the fret, they are normally angled.

Finger 3 (on the B string) is close to the fret and finger 1 (on the D string) is furthest away from the fret.

This gives a little more room and your fingers are not quite so cramped.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

All are good replies...it just takes practice. Another alternative is bar 4 strings with your 1st finger and then note your 4th finger on high E at the 5th fret ( "A" note)  I don't know the proper name but we've always called it a "Bluegrass" A...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Try using just the pointer and middle finger to get all 3 strings on the second fret.  This is how I learned on a slim neck alvarez where there isn't room for 3 fingers.

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.

one thing you might try is bariing those 3 strings with finger 1 and  hiting the light e string on the 5th fret with your pinky. it gives a nice full sound to the a chord

what a long strange trip it's been

I play it all sorts of ways, depending on what I'm going to do next, or what I played before it.  If I'm playing open E or I intend to play B afterward, I tend to barre with my ring finger. 

I don't quite understand what you mean you want to hear the open e when you barre.  Why can't you hear it?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Lots of things to try out, and I really like the "Bluegrass A" suggested by jay and patrick.  Definitely wouldn't have thought of that on my own!

To answer your question Jerome, I've only been playing for about 4 months and don't have barring down (at all).  The site I was using to help me learn guitar had two fingerings listed for A:  1,2,3 and barring the first finger across the strings and deadening the first string with it.  If I take time to adjust my finger, I can hear the first string, but usually my finger is either too bent and I get fret buzz on the second string or it's not bent enough and I deaden the first string (or it buzzes against my finger).  That's why I was curious to see how common other fingerings are, but I realize the best solution is probably to just keep practicing 1,2,3!

wormproof101 wrote:

Hey everyone,

To answer your question Jerome, I've only been playing for about 4 months and don't have barring down (at all).

Ah, that's one you'll want to practice then.  Learn to barre A and E shapes like you can do it in your sleep.  They fit together like peas and carrots.

E shape to A shape on the same fret is a I -> IV progression.   A shape to E shape on the same fret is a I -> V progression.  That gives you the tools to play in almost any key you want.

Good luck.  And practice every day.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

12 (edited by Al Bradley 2007-06-08 03:43:01)

A really easy way to play an open A is to make a little triangle with your middle finger on the D string second fret, your pointer finger at the top of the triangle close to the first fret on the G string , and your ring finger on the second fret on the B string. The triangel is contained between the frist and second fret. Look at the three strings and make your pointer finger as the point of the triangle.

I go with what Alvee33 said, that is what I have always done and it really helps for when you switch to E or D

To reach out with your hands/ See the world through your eyes/ To live with the love of the savior/ To feel with your heart/ And think with your mind/I'd give my last breath for your glory!!!