Topic: James Taylor Guitar Lessons

Isn't the internet great? Where else could you get free guitar lessons from James Taylor?!?!

http://www.jamestaylor.com/guitarlessons/

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: James Taylor Guitar Lessons

Thats totally one of the best things I have seen here jeff,thanks for posting it here,I do alot of his songs so  now I can find out what I am not doing right in some of them!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

The advice on nails was excellent. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I would have never expected James Taylor's hands to be so rough looking. He's got hands like he has been in the fields with the rest of us. How does he play so perfectly with those shaky hands? Must be the chemicals.

craig23 wrote:

I would have never expected James Taylor's hands to be so rough looking. He's got hands like he has been in the fields with the rest of us. How does he play so perfectly with those shaky hands? Must be the chemicals.

Take a look at Keith Richards hands, he looks like he's got on the wrong side of a Vegas gangstar with a club hammer!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

I heard in an interview with Livingston Taylor that he and James love to garden.  Gardening will tear up some fingernails.  Apparently James wears gloves, uses tools rather than his hands often, and is very careful about what he does, but Livingston gave up on nails and uses fingerpicks. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

A little FYI about the nails in the video.... 

The process he's using on his nails in that video is called a "Nail Wrap" if you were to go to a nail salon to have that done.  Fiberglass wraps are a little stronger than silk wraps, but silk tends to blend into the nail better and be less visible.  You WILL want to at least wear a clear coat of nail polish over the top to help keep the wrap from lifting sooner.  In the salon, we don't generally do layers upon layers of wrap on a nail... one or two layers is generally sufficient and many layers will be more likely to lift up sooner.  Nail wraps are usually used to strengthen nails, repair broken nails, and can be used to add nail tips (extend the nail with a plastic tip glued onto the nail and the wrap over the top of it). 

Anyhow, that should get you started should you go into a nail salon and want to ask for this service.  Keep in mind most manicurists aren't going to be knowledgeable in the use of nail enhancements for guitar playing and you'll probably get more of what you are looking for if you pay a little more and go into a nail salon that is filled with those who speak fluent English wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks for that link, Topdown! I watched his how to video for Little Wheel and I printed his tabs so maybe I'll figure it out.
How do you know so much about nails, Amy?

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

smile  Auxi, I'm a cosmetologist!  I am licensed to perform hair, nail and skin services on people in the state of NY, but I prefer coloring hair to anything else!  I have a salon in my home.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I use a clear nail polish

mekidsmom wrote:

smile  Auxi, I'm a cosmetologist!  I am licensed to perform hair, nail and skin services on people in the state of NY, but I prefer coloring hair to anything else!  I have a salon in my home.

Oh, got it. I've got several friends who do that. I bet it's a fun job. Thanks for the nail info!

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

This is not a joke, I was told years ago to put the conditioner that they use on horse holves,I use it and my nails are very strong,I do not use a pick at all only nails and side of hand and thumbs.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

There is also the option of using your fingertips which, over time, will develop callus in the same way that your fretting fingers do. Haven't tried it myself being mainly a plectrum user.

By the way I like the phrase "...perform hair, nail and skin services on people...". Conjures all sorts of images!

Great to see James mentoring.  Now pay attention.

Thanks Top for the link.

Picking away at life, one tune at a time.

Is there tab on James Taylor's guitar lesson site, someone posted that there is but I can't find/see it.  Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Awesome. Thanks for that topdown.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool