Topic: Nashville High Tuning

I recently ordered new strings for my acoustics. For several years I've had a small 3/4 size acoustic (currently an Ibanez Daytripper)  that I set up using Nashville high tuning (octave strings of a 12 string).  This time I put a set on my Martin 000-16GT.  WOW!  The mahogany body of the Martin has never had the deeper tone of my rosewood 000 Blueridge  and the high tuning set-up seems to really "sing".  I'm getting new calluses on my fingers from playing it so much over the last few days. With a capo, the further up the neck I play the more it sounds like a mandolin and further down the neck its more like a banjo, yet not quite the sound of either. The new "sound" has also given me ideas for new songs to write.  I've been trying to imagine what a resonator guitar with high-tuning would sound like - a sitar/banjo/dobro??

Does anyone else use a "high-tune" or other  string gauge combo that is different and produces a unique sound?  I'm not talking about drop D or other tunings using the normal gauge strings, but changing the size of the strings to produce a different sound using normal tuning.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: Nashville High Tuning

I have been wanting to do this for some time but have just not gotten around to it. As soon as I can get some "Nashville High Strung" strings ordered I belive I will give this a try.

Nela

DE, I did try Nashville tuning and love it, but t's a bit redundant as I have 12-string too. Also it does weird things of you play melody across all 6 strings as the 6th string is no longer the lowest pitch.

I did try deviating from the standard string combination on the 12-string as I wanted a unison pair on the G instead of an octave pair. Didn't work great though - 2 plain strings on the G were either too thin (inotnation problems) or too thick (increasing neck tension, probably safe enough but didn't want to risk it). Also experimented with a different 2nd string in DAGDAD tuning as a standard light-gauge B didn't sound/feel right when tuned down to A. But abandoned that too for similar reasons

So now it's standard light-gauge sets on the 6-string and standard extralight on the 12 for me. Until I get another guitar that's permanently DAGDAD, another permanently Nashville, another that is....

I'll play yours. 

I liked that 3/4 you had a couple years ago in WV.  I wasn't up to snuff to make it sound good, but Bo and you did some great things with it.  I'm eager to hear it with your Martin if you tote that along with you in July or August. 

Garuchi has taken up banjo, so maybe the two of you should play a couple duets.  Would be fun.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude