Topic: String Gauge

Another "just wondering" post.  My Fender came with light gauge (.011 or .012 I can't remember which) strings on it.  The store gave me a card good for a set of strings per month for a year.  First change was to mediums (.013) and now back to lights.  Both sets are phospor bronze.

I like the sound of the mediums better but find the lights easier to play with.  Is this pretty common?  What gauge do you folks use?

The strings I've been getting are store brand made by SIT.  Is there a preferred brand or type?

Scott
Philippians 3:13, 14
Takamine GS330S

Re: String Gauge

That is common.  The lighter the strings, the less effort to play them.  The heavier usually sound better, but tend to beat up your fingers.  I finally went to a light medium and like them.  Kinda the best of both worlds.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

i agree w/ ben. Elixers nanos last for ever.I tried Martins and was replaceing them every month

I had been using Martin Silk & Steel (.0115-.047) and they are smooth but don't last long.  I have a set of D'Addario .013-.057 on now and they are hard on the fingertips.  If the store is going to give you a set free every month, take 'em.  You may not need to change them every month, but free is free.  Or do you need to bring the guitar in to the store and they will change them?  Start with the lightest until your fingertips toughen up.

I like Martins too but they do wear out quickly. I do find  'fast fret'  helps though, it keeps the strings clean aswell as oiling them. I tend to go for mediums aswell as I like the best of both worlds, thrashing out some rhythm and incorporating work on bass strings , but also more gentle finger picking styles etyc, though i do have different guitars for specific styles too.

icecubetray3pak wrote:

I had been using Martin Silk & Steel (.0115-.047) and they are smooth but don't last long.  I have a set of D'Addario .013-.057 on now and they are hard on the fingertips.  If the store is going to give you a set free every month, take 'em.  You may not need to change them every month, but free is free.  Or do you need to bring the guitar in to the store and they will change them?  Start with the lightest until your fingertips toughen up.

I took it in to the store for the first change at one month.  Mainly I wanted someone to show me how it's done.  The guy who helped me mentioned that they didn't really need changed.  Went about three months before I changed them again.  Did it myself this time.

The store will let me go in and just pick up a set each month.  I think the idea is to get me to spend money while I'm there.  So far they're out of luck.

I think I'll go back to the mediums.  My fingers are toughening up pretty well and I really like the sound better.

Scott
Takamine GS330S

Salmusic22 wrote:

I like Martins too but they do wear out quickly. I do find  'fast fret'  helps though, it keeps the strings clean aswell as oiling them. I tend to go for mediums aswell as I like the best of both worlds, thrashing out some rhythm and incorporating work on bass strings , but also more gentle finger picking styles etyc, though i do have different guitars for specific styles too.

I dream of the day when I have more than one guitar.  Hard to justify it in the learning stage, though.  By the way, what is 'fast fret'?

Scott
Takamine GS330S

Welcome to Chordie Srpetty. If you are young and stick to learning the guitar someday
    you will be saying: "Where the heck did all these guitars come from ?" Trust me it will
    happen. Not saying it's a bad thing just sayin.

Fast fret. I used it many moons ago when first learning on acoustic as it it made the
    strings kinda slippery or smooth. On fingers yet to be calloused well it can help ease
    the pain somewhat. Not sure what kind of applicators are out there now. I'll bet there
    are different brands also.  Best of luck,  Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

papaguitar wrote:

Welcome to Chordie Srpetty. If you are young and stick to learning the guitar someday
    you will be saying: "Where the heck did all these guitars come from ?" Trust me it will

Fast fret. I used it many moons ago when first learning on acoustic as it it made the
    strings kinda slippery or smooth. On fingers yet to be calloused well it can help ease
    the pain somewhat. Not sure what kind of applicators are out there now. I'll bet there

Thanks for the welcome and the info, Mike.  As for time to acquire guitars, it depends on whether or not 46 is young.

Scott
Takamine GS330S

srpetty wrote:
papaguitar wrote:

Thanks for the welcome and the info, Mike.  As for time to acquire guitars, it depends on whether or not 46 is young.

That's young from my perspective!

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Hi sr,that is the usual,the lighter guages are always easyier too play,I stick with a med lite.and I like the martin strings,but the do not last,so I get D'adderious,as I have oily skin and.they are less expensive.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

You are welcome and btw-- 46 leaves you with plenty of guitar and guitar gear etc.

buying years. Good luck with your new passion. smile       Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Medium too difficult. Extralight too tinny. I've eventually settled on Light gauge for best combination of sound and playability. (12-string needs extralight). Regarding brand, ABM (anything but Martin) for me.

You can also play mediums and tune down to Eb to keep your fingers from getttin too beat up.