Topic: One guitar that does it all

I've been contemplating this, too much time on my hands. If you could have only one ax; one that had good acoustic properties  and good electric capabilities what would it be?

Re: One guitar that does it all

I have a Cort, semi-acoustic, 3/4 sized, with a cutaway body. Excellent acoustics, very sensitive pickups and very playable, and priced under 500.00. Cort makes some fantastic semi-acoustic guitars.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Maybe I'm predjudiced but I believe that Ovation makes the best of both worlds. Having been an Ovation player for the last twenty years I have used it both plugged in and unplugged. Plugged in the only time I've had any problems is not putting in the cover for the sound hole and getting some feedback due to amp and monitor placement. Unplugged it has good natural volume and tone. I think that the older Ovations are superior unplugged over the new ones due to the fact that the new ones use soundports instead of a single larger soundhole.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

The Ibenez Montage isn't too bad. But whenever you want one tool to do two jobs, it can only do so much.

Hey butch I agree with bswyers on getting an ovation I had one in the eighties and it played greatright from the dealers,I wish I had it back now.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I've only pawed an Ovation once or twice I'll take a look at them

Fishman makes a piezo-acoustic bridge for the telecaster.  If I could only have one guitar to "do it all",  I might go that route.

Also, just discovered that Baggs makes one for Strats and guitars with tune-o-matics (i.e. Les Paul).

Now available in 5G !

WOW!!! What a sound!!

tell me about the acoustic pickup for the strat.One of mine has a humbucker and it leaves a lot to be desired.An acoustic sound out of it would be great and if it screws up,it wouldnt be a total loss.I have a better one

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Joey^3 check out the L.R. Baggs website.  It'll give you the rundown on "acoustic" Strat pickups. Oh, btw, Fishman makes one too...

Now available in 5G !

I have a PRS Archtop Jazz with the LR Baggs piezo system that I use for both electric and acoustic gigs. You can get the same set up with the PRS Hollowbody and I believe it is an option with Hamer as well on their Newport 90. I'd go with the spruce top on those guitars rather than maple as I believe it gives a much better acoustic tone.

I have an Ibanez Talman acoustic/elec that plays awesome but it doesnt like my line 6 amp.When I go electric I use my SG or LP Dont really know if theres an axe out there you can get a true acoustic sound from without spending a buttload of money on...i.e Gretsch,Gibson,etc...

My Squire '51.
Resonant unplugged to the point that I don't even pick up my acoustic anymore unless I'm sitting in the driveway grilling.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

For all around, you almost gotta go with some sort of acoustic/electric.  Solid and semi-hollow bodies generally don't project enough for much use without an amp.  My first choice would be a large bodied archtop with an added pickup (those bad boys were loud back in the days before electronics took over), but I still like my Ovation A/E for an all-round performer.

Even with the "soundports" it has a nice tone and good volume plugged and un-plugged, although I do have to admit that it sounds a bunch better from out in front with somebody else playing it.....  that could be just a matter of WHO's playing not the guitar's fault.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare