Topic: Three piece cover band..

..well really there's 4 with the singer but just one guitar.

Anyway, when covering a band with 2 guitars what takes priority, lead or rhythm?

Obviously it depends on the songs but just as an example say Dakota by the Stereophonics. I've been listening to the track and obviously the lead in the intro and chorus can't be left out as it forms part of the fabric of the song but the lead throughout the verse isn't as obvious but still important.

So if I play all lead the song lacks a solid base and drive and if I play rhythm in parts it lacks molody??

Help?!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Re: Three piece cover band..

Three pieces are a lot thinner with less options than larger groups. IMO most listeners will relate to hooks, which is typically any signature leads and also melodies in the vocals. You're just going to have to figure out what the most important hooks in a song are and play around 'em.

you might also have to do some arrangement and play covers "your way," not anything like the originals, due to the thin instrumentation.

I pretty much agreewith what baldguitardude says.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Take a listen to some trios: Cream, U2, Seether

Hendrix.

ZZ Top! Three Piece and nothing thin about their sound! But they are exceptional!!!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

With only three pieces, everybody in a band must overplay to fill as much as possible. It would be  great if you guys can sing a lot of three part harmony.
As the only guitarist, you must pound out chord rhythm and have the bass man and drummer play as much fill as possible during your lead rides.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Crosby,stills and nash, America.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Best friend you're ever gonna have...

http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=500&uid=565964268

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Now that is brilliant!

the amazing kappa the best three piece band you will ever see and it's free in the cavern liverpool (more famous for a four piece band) cant do a link or you will see why

jerome.oneil wrote:

http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=500 … =565964268

You're right about the Looper. My son has one and can overlay several tracks then play lead over that. Also a great practice tool.

I disagree with the "everybody must overplay" comment. It's just a matter of HOW you play...You do have to be selective on which guitar part you'll play at any given time. Being the lead singer and guitarist in a trio, I have a huge workload so I have to pick and choose which guitar part goes best with the song. Your rhythm section should be holding down the fort....guitar is just candy. Your rhythm section is keeping the joint thumpin'! Let them do their job, and your job will be a little easier.

I think that rhythm is the foundation to the song and completes it. The solo lead work should be the "bell, whistles and shiny stuff" that finishes the package. With only 1 guitar it's difficult to do both and that becomes the problem. Jerome' use of a Looper is a great idea if you know how to use it properly - I don't and need to learn. For me I would continue with the rhythm and let the keyboard fill in the lead. Either that or get my buddy to sit in. I swear he can keep the rhythm flowing and play the lead portion all at the same time. He can't tell you what chord he's playing but he knows the sound is right. He has a full 5 fret span and uses every one of his fingers.

Nela

Well we’ve had a few rehearsals and everything is coming together nicely, we were joined by our new drummer last night for the first time and he seems hugely keen and we’re gonna sort out a debut gig for August.  Surprisingly we were pretty tight considering it was the first time we had played together as a unit.

I’ve just been told by the guys to keep it simple and fill when and where I can, we play a bit of older uk punk and a bit of newer US punk so approximately half the set is high gain power chords, so not much I can really enhance there. The rest is old and new rock so I’ve been trying to come up with a style for these and because we only have one guitar I’ve gone for a “stabby†, staccato style, probably a bit like Malcolm Young from ACDC.  I find this works well for us because the covers are not filled with rhythm it’s not so obvious when I stop playing rhythm to go to the breaks and leads. 

I did think about using my looper but I’m so busy playing guitar I don’t think I could handle the extra work.  Saying that I don’t think it’ll be long before I get up to speed so I make keep that on the backburner.   

Cheers guys

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

jerome.oneil wrote:

http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=500 … =565964268

I have one of these for sale, anyone want to make an offer? Bought it new, looking maybe to upgrade. Absolutely loved it when I used it. Taught me how to solo.
Mark

I'm also in a three piece covers band  and I understand your problem.  Unfortunately as well as having to play lead and rhythm guitar I'm also the lead singer so I'm a little bit busy.  The trick I've found is not to worry too much about missing riffs.  I think audiences notice silence more than they notice missing riffs (they often mentally fill them in themselves).  We work best by filling out the sound as much as possible and having backing vocals (courtesy of our bass player).  Distortion, flange, chorus and delay are all friends of the three piece.

Loop pedals are great and have endless possibilties however they will only work if you're all spot on time and don't make any errors after the loop is set.  Once you've got an imoveable digital signal in the mix, all room for covering up errors natuarally are gone.  Don't know about you but I like a bit of room to manouver, especially when playing live.

Good luck with then band man, hope you knock em dead.