Topic: Weekend Storms!

How about it Y'all....  All our Chordians in the wake of this weekend's storms, check in when you get a chance.  Some of us in more temperate climes are wondering how you fared and are sending good thoughts your direction.

Amen;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Re: Weekend Storms!

The worst of it passed North of here.
Still, the wind blew so hard I saw a seagull have to lay the same egg three times.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I was camping with the family, so I have no idea what sort of storms hit the rest of the country.  In the valley where we were it was amazing!  We had camped next to a beautiful little trout river that overnight turned into a raging torrent that submerged islands and bent trees.  The roads were over-run.  I had to ford streams in several places where they had crossed the roads and was blocked by one because it was too much of a risk and I waited it out.  Then we had severe fog roll down off the mountain faster than I'd ever seen - and THICK too.  Wind had kicked up so that it was howling through the trees.  It ripped some of them right out of the moist ground and snapped the trunks of some full grown trees.  We saw some hail.  What ought to have been a 45 minute drive took close to three hours because of the detours for downed trees and waiting out stream crossings on the road.  Then it was over.  After about 18 hours or torrential rain, the wind blew the clouds out and we got a deep blue sky.  So we did the only sensible thing we could do at that point, which was to light a campfire and have some s'mores. 

It was all very exciting. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Wow ZURF... are you sure you don't write books for a living?  You have an AMAZING way with description in the written word.  AMAZING!

yes... I'd love to hear from our friends in NC as it seems that's where it hit the worst... I think most of them are either east or west of where it hit though I'm not positive.  A good friend of mine's family is right where the worst damage was.  Apparently there was an empty abandoned Wal-Mart building that was demolished.  Scary stuff!  ((HUGS)) and hopes that all our chordie friends are safe and sound!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Zurf, you have just described my normal camping trip. The blue skies are only for the before and after, never during it seems. I still love getting out and away from it all just the same.

Seriously though, I feel for all the families affected by the storms over there. Having been through some tough times in Queensland over the past few months, I fully understand the devastation and heartbreak that can be caused by nature.
Best wishes to all
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

6 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-04-18 22:47:50)

We happened to squeeze between the 2 worst cells... We had tornadoes touching down about 5 miles west of us and a couple a few miles north and east but it just missed us.  The most powerful cell just clipped my town and we had some really strong wind and small hail but missed the worst of it thankfully...

The damage has been bad in my area though... I work with the local State Farm and Farm Bureau insurance companies doing a lot of their claim work (flood damage, burnouts, and such...) My phone has been ringing of the hook with calls yesterday and today!! Seems Bladen county ,about 15 miles north of me, got the worst of it....

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I'm glad you're safe Pix.  It's a shame what the folks in Bladen County are going to have to go through.  We just last August finished the recovery from flooding in our home - it was a fifteen month effort!  I wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Nice too see you all are ok. Toots did you get apicture of that bird laying the same egg three times?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

We had bad storms here in Central NC 1 tornado touched down in the next county , but the worst of them were east of us, I heard reports vary from 21 dead to 35 dead, lots of damage, scary day all in all, at one point it was so dark here it looked as if it were night time.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

dino48 wrote:

Nice too see you all are ok. Toots did you get apicture of that bird laying the same egg three times?

That would be cool but my statement was somewhat less than the unvarnished truth.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

It's been a horrible year for weather. Good to hear from those back east (from here anyway) and only near

misses. I know from experience what it's like to be in the middle of those storms. Spent a lot of time in

Texas, which is now on fire, and am thankful that here we are not prone to such storms. Even lightning is

rare here in the Cascades.        Mike

Our intuitions serve us well