Topic: dropped tunings

When the tuning is changed on a guitar, are the chords still the same?

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Re: dropped tunings

only if you drop all six strings equally smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Are you looking for a different sound? Easy playing? Slide?   Many players will drop the low E (6th) to a D to add a distinct and rich sound to D based chords. Others will tune to an open tuning such as "A" or "G" for fingerstyle and/or slide playing. To get different keys with the same chords you can use a capo. Lets us know what you are looking for and I bet many of the folks here can help!

BTW...I often try to make things as basic as I can to accomodate folks of all different playing levels...I've been frustrated myself many times when asking a question and the response is "way over my head"... so please don't thing that I'm trying to talk "down" to anyone...just willing to offer opinions that will hopefully help!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Hello   Does anyone know: If i'm in open "D" tuning, how do I play a F#m.
          or a Bm?  Thank you  mark996owl

f# minor would be a barre chord on the 4th fret with which ever string you have the 3rd on, lowered by 1/2 step. If you're tuning the G string down for the open D, that means the chord would be

Bm would be the same thing, just a few frets up!

If you go to www.ultimateguitar.com and look up Joni Mitchell they have a listing of all the different tunings she uses

There's a gentleman out there by the name of Alan Horvath. His website explains many open tunings and has chord charts for each.  His page for 'Open G' is here -
http://alanhorvath.com/Gchart.php
On that same page is a drop down menu for other tunings and other stuff.  He's helped me alot.  I hope I didn't violate any chordie rules by posting this address. Let me know if I did!

Now available in 5G !

mark996owl wrote:

Hello   Does anyone know: If i'm in open "D" tuning, how do I play a F#m.
          or a Bm?  Thank you  mark996owl

Bm, played in Open D tuning is very easy without a barre shape (which I still struggle with after 20 years!); just use

Open
Open
Open
Open

It's a single finger change from the  G chord that I use.

I find this is one of the good things about Open D in that you don't have to use a barre chord for Bm which is a main requirement in this key. A lot of other minor chords are trickier without a part barre, although Em without a barre is relatively straightforward as well.

I just love Open D; since I started using it 9 months ago I probably play more accompniment songs in this tuning than standard now; there are some lovely dischords you can get with little effort.