Re: American Strat or Mexican Strat?

I have had a more then a dozen of Jap, Mex and USA strats. I have a Mex and USA sitting next to me right now that and was playing both just a few minutes ago asking what the difference really is. Yes there are some differences but from the mouth of a Fender employee I asked face to face, the mexican strats are made in mexico my mexicans. The USA strats are made in the USA by mexicans. There is hardly a difference to my ears, nor is the feel different.

I had a guy play with me in a band that was the lead guitarist for the Righteous Brothers. He played a Squire that he changed the pickups on and played it through a mesa boogie. He, to date, has the best tone I've ever heard.

For what it's worth, I've decided to sell my USA strat to someone who thinks he knows more then I do and I'm buying another mexi strat. I like having both a single and a humbucker or I'd only own one. There is nothing wrong with a USA strat but for the cost.

hey taddei,as I said before I could not really see or hear any differance,there may be if if you get on a stage and really crank up the volume. I am happy with my stratomex.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Isaid the other mex strat is awful.It just needed a goos setup.Now it is a fantastic guitar.I got 5 minutes of enjoyment from it and gave it to my daughter. P.S. to gabbysings2. My daughters name is gabby(gabrielle),she plays and sings and I gave her a mexican strat.Is that a great coincidence or what?

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Well,  I suspect that the original question here may also be about resale value.. Of course the American Strat will command a higher resale price.  Is it a better guitar?  Like Buzzwagon, I also had 1960 replica MIM Strat. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that guitar.  It had tone to die for, even with the stock pickups.  It played like a dream. The finish was flawless ( for those that care about that).  The only reason that I don't have it now is that I traded it for a USA Tele that my friend had frustrations with.  He wanted that Strat.  I had two Strats but didn't have a Tele.  Had he not suggested it, I'd still have that MIM Strat.

Now available in 5G !

Well i have both  American and Mexican Strats . But I n my view American is better than Mexican . I paid for American $172.00 and For Mexican $170.00 .

spam link removed

I would love to know where you got Fender Strats at that price smile!!

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I have a Fender Strat Blacktop which is MIM and I love it, I haven't played an american Strat to compare to tho.

Build quality and playability are fantastic.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

I cant comment  on the  mexican strat but  I   can re the mexican  tele . I  have a  mexican blacktop tele  and  my  freind  has  an american standard  tele  both  are great   the only  decernable  difference  I  can tell  was  the  cost . from a  personal view  I prefer  mine  as  it  came with humbuckers and  a  reversed volume  pot .all  I  can say  realy is go to the  shop and  try   both  If you feel the   american one  is worth the  money   buy it  I'll  stick with  the  cheapy

I have a mex. strat.My daughter has a mex. strat with a humbucker in the bridge position.They were both used and dirt cheap.200 for mine 170 for hers.Cheap strats are out there.You just have to find them.I have tried both of them in stores.No real difference.You can always upgrade a mex. with american parts.Almost like upgrading a squier with fender parts.An american strat will be more expensive used or new.You can get a new mexican for cheaper than a used american.Hope that helps

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

35 (edited by flester 2011-10-26 12:57:02)

Electric guitars are made from a very small number of pieces of wood. The pieces of wood are probably shaped by a machine operated by a human. If they are made by Fender then they are mass produced (i.e. they make a lot of them every day). And Leo Fender took care of the design over 50 years ago. I would expect the quality of the wood to be the main factor determining the tone.

The location of the machine or the nationality of the operator would have little effect on the the tone, I would imagine. They would have a greater effect on the cost of manufacture though.

36 (edited by flester 2011-10-26 12:59:59)

Also from my experience of acoustic guitars I would say that the audience (if any!) don't care much about the 'quality' of your instrument.