Topic: Dean Guitars

Hi everybody. I've been following the various discussions on here for a while now but haven't seen anything about Dean Acoustic Guitars.  As you probably realise I noticed this because I have a Dean Daytona, which I think is a really nice guitar (for the money). I admit I have limited experience but I have played a cheap nasty guitar so I know what a bad one's like.  Anybody else have any opinions on Dean Guitars?

Re: Dean Guitars

Howdy Doctor & nice to hear from you (you lurker you)...  About Dean Instruments, I've been around for awhile and haven't heard anything bad about Dean.  Have a friend and sometimes music jam session participant that has a really early (late 60's) electric Dean that is in my opinion right up there with the classic Fender and Gibson guitars for sound, fit and finish.  But personally I have not had a chance to lay my hands on one of their acoustics yet.

For the most part, acoustic guitars are so much the magic combination of wood, wire, and craftmanship, that brand pretty much falls out of the equation somewhere along the line.  Production guitars vary to a certain extent, that even labels that have a good reputation crank out a "stinker" now and then, conversely less expensive brands build a gem on occasion.   If it fits you, plays well and puts out the sound that makes you smile.... it's a keeper!

Welcome to the Forums, and hope to hear more from ya.
Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hi Doug,  I too hadn't heard much about Dean Guitars other than they make strange shaped electrics. Until that is I went searching for an acoustic (birthday prezzy from the wife).  My local shop had quite a large range of guitars at all prices.  I tried some really cheap, £49 ones and a couple of £500 ones. The Dean was in my price range and to my untrained ear felt and sounded much more like the 500 than the 49. That was about 18 months ago and I am still very pleased with it. Not long after I bought it I e-mailed Dean Guitars to enquire as to what strings they fitted (type and guage). To my surprise I got a short, and straight to the point, answer about 15 minutes later! Not a bad response time.

Good Customer service is a big plus no matter who provides it, and a rare thing these days it seems.  Bo's Dean is a really sweet playing guitar with a fast well set up action, good balance and fine tone.... but it is electric.

Just a note though about strings, and a little off the topic.  Recently I was given a set of strings to try out for an opinion, and now that I have a few weeks of use out of them, I'll share my thoughts.  I have been a fan of D'Addario Bluegrass strings on my Acoustics, and Elixer coated for electrics for awhile now.... but I'm thinking that I'm sold on Thomastik-Infeld flat-wound strings for everything in the future.  There was a time when flat-wound strings were the "thing" for electric players, until the coated strings kind of took over the market and they are very good.  But these TI strings are smoother and have great tone.  Holding tune exceptionally well and they make them in Phosohor Bronze as well as Steel Nickel, and a version for all those Classical players too.
Bass, Cello, Violin, Mando, Dobro, and just about anything else you can put strings on (don't know about Ukes and Banjos).

Cost a couple bucks more than equivalent Elixers at around $20 US (on line) but I had not considered trying them earlier because of the $42 Dollar suggested list price, that I thought too heavy a cost for experimentation.  I usually restring every 6-8 weeks, but I have lots of time on my hands and log 20+ hours of playing weekly these days.  I also like that they require 2-4 pounds less tension per string than the other brands I've been using, a big difference if your sessions are longer than average.

Take Care:
Doug

PS, no promotional compensation was received for this opinion.

Funny that...my Dean came fitted with D'Addario Strings and that's what I've always used. Maybe it's time for a change?  I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky on my electric (a squier strat) and I'm pretty happy with them.

We seem to have our own little chat room going here....  I remember Ernie Ball strings.  The super slinkys were 10s if I recall and flat wound to boot!  Used those and Fender Bullets on a Mustang (Fender) that I played back in the day when we thought we were going to get famous and tour....  that was in the 70's and a long sad story, needless to say I don't own that axe anymore.  You might give a set of JS110 strings a try next change out on your Strat.  The specs are: .010, .014, .018, .023, .033, .044" respectively pulled to tension at: 17.2, 18.3, 19.0, 18.1, 18.1, 18.7 pounds.  At that you could easily bend a full note with your pinky, and slides are as close to squeak-free on the wound strings as the solids.

Like I mentioned earlier, I really like D'Addario for the tone, projection and durability.... yeah the fairly low cost is a bonus too.  But I'm ripping a set off monthly, and really would like to stretch that out a bit.  Guess I'd rather be playing music than changing strings, and every  time you change from 10s to 12s having to tweak the setup.  Getting lazy in my old age and my inner "geezer" is showing.

Keep in touch &
Take Care;
Doug

We've totally hijacked this thread... but... Doug, what do you think of Elixer Nano-Webs?  They sure do last longer... I'm wondering how they do under your playing of 20 hours per week?

As for Dean Guitars... I don't know, never played one sad  I don't think I've ever seen the brand at any of our local retailers but I will keep my eyes open a bit wider next time I stop to play some!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hi Amy,  Happy Mother's Day!

The Elixers that I use on my Electrics have been nano or poly.  Good strings!  Was buying them in 6 packs and still changing them every couple of months.  I think that although they are nice and bright straight out of the pack, over time they go dead as all do and lose a little of that brightness. My friend Jeff had a real problem with the coatings flaking off after about three weeks or so, but attributed it to a body chemistry reaction that caused the coating to brittle up and crack.  Personally I think it was because he lives in a manufactured home and residual formaldehyde was reacting with them and breaking it down.  An environmental thing.

Just an added note though, most of my time is on acoustic so the electric seems to sit more than it gets exercised. But I still have to change almost as often.  Could be loss of response due to temp changes under tension even when "stored".  Polys on acoustic sounded a little "dead" new when compared to an un-coated new set of phosphor bronze, so I just put up with the squeak and changed how I move my chords around to compensate, especially barre chords.  Now I have discovered these "stealth" strings I can resume my old, set, bad habits again!  LOL.

Take Care & have a nice one!
Doug

Hi again,

Although you have hijacked by Dean post I don't mind as I'm learning lots and getting some useful string recommendations.  Funny how these threads pan out.  Do give Dean Guitars a try though if you get the chance.  I'd like to see what other people think of them.  I don't have a lot of experience but if a guitar feels good to me then that's ok I guess.

Cheers.

I have a dean steel body resonator and 6 string banjo.The reso plays good and takes getting used to.The banjo plays good.The only problem with the resonator is it constantly has to be adjusted at the tailpiece.Also my daughter has a dean Vcoustic.It plays ,great sounds good.The only problem is it cont be played sitting down.My only conclusion I can draw on dean guitars is to play them for a long time in the music store if you consider buying. As far as strings go.I use a special brand called whatever is cheapest as long as it starts with a 10 gauge.And for acoustics,whatever is cheapest as long as it starts with an 11 gauge.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Hi joeyjoeyjoey,  glad to finally find someone that has a dean acoustic.  Why can't your daughter play it sitting down? I only play sitting down as I don't have a strap for mine at the moment.  By the way, I like your string selection process. That takes all the contemplation out of it and I guess you get to try all sorts?  Do you find much of a difference between the different brands?

Joey here.She cant play sitting because it slides off her lap,even when it is strapped.It is a V couctic.An acoustic flying v.As far as strings go.I cant find much difference between brands(especially electric).Some may last longer than others but thats about it.Tin ear or tightwad,that is up to you how to categorize me.I used to use only ghs nickel rockers on my electrics and martin silk and steels on my acoustics.Then I saw a bin full of discount strings and did my own test.If a brand turned out to be totally junk(ROUNDS).I simply dont buy them again no matter how cheap.But it only happened once.(ROUNDS).Im no expert on strings.But if you see a brand called rounds.Stay away

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

13 (edited by beamer 2011-11-08 05:30:35)

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Joey here.She cant play sitting because it slides off her lap,even when it is strapped.It is a V couctic.An acoustic flying v.As far as strings go.I cant find much difference between brands(especially electric).Some may last longer than others but thats about it.Tin ear or tightwad,that is up to you how to categorize me.I used to use only ghs nickel rockers on my electrics and martin silk and steels on my acoustics.Then I saw a bin full of discount strings and did my own test.If a brand turned out to be totally junk(ROUNDS).I simply dont buy them again no matter how cheap.But it only happened once.(ROUNDS).Im no expert on strings.But if you see a brand called rounds.Stay away

Tell her to fit one leg of the v between her legs.  V do not play well otherwise.  really V is for rocking out!  but if the crux of the V is down in her leg it will stay up better.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I have played a great acoustic electric Dean arch top.  They play great but like all guitars,, you will want to have it set up.  maybe this will be up your ally  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ … 6000010000

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)