Topic: New student finds conflicting info.

Hey gang.  My name is Bill, and I am a new (acoustic) guitar student.  I am a father of 3 boys and work as an airline pilot.  Therefore, my time at home is valuable to me, and long story short, I practice on the road (in hotels).

I purchased an inexpensive DVD/book/flashcard set for beginners and it seems to be working pretty good.  Been at it a couple of weeks and my hands are beginning to move a little more like a guitar player (slowly, but surely).

I did find one bit of conflicting information in the course, however.  I have learned the simple basic chords (A,C,D,E,G major and A,D,E minor) and am working on some chord progressions.  The problem lies with the G major chord.  It is represented 3 different ways:

The DVD says:      1st finger on 2nd fret of the A string
                             2nd finger on 3rd fret of the E(low) string
                             3rd finger on 3rd fret of the B string
                             4th finger on 3rd fret of the E(high) string

The flashcard says:  1st finger on 2nd fret of the A string
                                2nd finger on 3rd fret of the E (low) string
                                3rd finger on 3rd fret of the E (high) string

The book says:      1st finger on 3rd fret of the E (high) string
                              2nd finger on 2nd fret of the A string
                              3rd finger on 3rd fret of the E (low) string

The book seems way off.  Maybe that's just a typo.  I have looked at some chord charts and the G major always matches what my flashcard shows.  I have looked ahead in the book/DVD and realize that there are several different forms of each chord, but I think there should be only one chord known as G major.

Can anyone clear up this confusion for me please?  I don't want to learn something wrong from the beginning.  Perhaps I'll take some lessons if I can make a little time at home.  I was just kind of trying to do it at my own pace on my own time.  I'm not really in a hurry, and trying to save some money (again, I've got kids!).

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Re: New student finds conflicting info.

Hello SkyDad3 and contratulations on taking on the challenge of learning guitar.  Please realize there are many ways to make any particular chord - each alternative fingering is simply a different way to sound the various notes that comprise a chord.

If you go to chordie's 'Resources' page (see the tabs above) there is a large chord chart.  By clicking on each chord in the chart you can view alternate versions of each chord.  The chart displays 19 different versions of the G major chord - DON'T PANIC.

A Gmajor chord is comprised of the notes G, B, and D.  All versions of the chord will somehow contain these three tones.  Some will have the G as the lowest, some will have the B or D as the lowest notes (these are refered to as 'inverterted forms' or 'inversions').  Some versions may double one or more of tones in the chord - some versions will have open strings - some versions will have certain strings unused.

The choice of which version of a chord to use can be both practical (what is reachable) and aesthetic (what sounds good).  Hope this helps - James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

SkyDad3,

Check out the Electric Guitar section.  There is currently a discussion regarding this exact topic!  You'll find some variations when it comes to playing a G major chord.  Since I play both electric and acoustic, I tend to use a different G chord respectively on each one. 

thanks!
Kahuna

All three are correct...Your flashcard has what I think is the most common and easiest to play. DVD version gives that extra note and we use it a lot in fingerstyle and Contemporary Christian music.  Often when playing a song I'll change the chord patterns within the same chord just to add a little color to the sound...Congrats on learning to play and hope this helps some...this is a really good forum with lots of interesting, and good, info....jg

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Hi SkyDad!
Sometimes the chord progression in a song can call for different fingerings of the chord, even in the same song. Of course you can finger it however you like, but sometimes looking ahead on the next cord, a specific fingering can help you get an easier move to that one.

Example:
You are to play a G followed by a G7.
In this case you can use what I learned as a "pinky" G (this fingering was not amongst yours).
2nd finger on 2d fret A string
3rd on 3d fret (low) E string
pinky on 3 fret high e

Why this then... You get your 1st finger free. Put down your 1st finger on the 1st fret of the high e and lift your pinky (let the rest stay as is) and you got a G7. If you standard finger the G you have to rearange a lot to be able to play the G7.

The fingering you have that uses 4 fingers i know as the "rock" G. As jaygordon said it's used to ad some cosmetics to the sound. Try playing the 4 finger G and while strumming it lift and repalce the finger on the B string. If it fits in the song its a cool effect.

Of course this tampering can be done to any chord. If it sound good, use it.

Good luck with the guitar. And remember: Never play and fly...

/Missen

If you love what you do, there's no need to be good at it...

Thanks for all the help, guys.  Looking forward to learning guitar and improving over time.  This site should be a great help!