1 (edited by naolslager 2011-05-10 03:53:21)

Topic: Who NEEDS a pick guard? Warning: Rant.

Okay, I've got to rant about this. I am a beginner. I don't gig, busk, etc. I play for me...at least for now. I'm not necessarily a fan of pick guards but I do own one or two. But what kind of playing, what style causes someone to damage a guitar like this? (http://cgi.ebay.com/Martin-2000-D-15-Ac … 500wt_1182).

I would think someone would have to try to inflict this on a guitar. Please don't mention Willie Nelson's guitar which I am convinced is a contrived part of his allure and image. (I do like his music.)

I suppose with a few more years experience under my belt I will understand?
DJ

p.s. Yes, I'm on eBay again.

Re: Who NEEDS a pick guard? Warning: Rant.

Just playing it a lot will do that, especially if he/she is strumming at an odd angle. 

The hole in Willie's guitar is worn naturally.  According to Willie, he has refused to allow it to be repaired for two reasons.  He likes the way it sounds.  He has irreplaceable signatures of people with whom he's played on it.  Those sound reasonable to me. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have to say, I am glad I have a pick guard on my guitars..  I figure the scratches on the pick guard are the ones not on the guitar.  Although, in that picture.. the worn part is on the top of the soundhole.. I wouldn't like a pick guard there..  in my humble opinion, I think the worn out parts of guitars gives 'em lots of character..  especially if you're the one who put them there.  I mean they actually sell new guitars as "road worn"..   
Worn or not..  strum away.
Deb

I forgot to mention... GET BACK TO PLAYING.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Pickguards are designed to prevent damage that occurs by some playing styles...resting a thumb or a finger on the guitar will cause wear to the delicate finish and eventually the wood. I remember when Willie first got his guitar (1969) Martin and years of hard hard playing and resting his little finger has damaged the guitar... I have a spot on my Mandolin that has worn thru the finish and into the wood. Most of my other instruments have pickguards.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Willies guitar was also in a fire,he went back in too save it,he also likes too indulge himself alot with things that get him "High". I really like too have a pick guard even though I do not use picks.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Once again I probably asked the wrong question. I do understand why pick guards exist. I don't understand how someone carves up the soundboard like it was a whittling contest. If you are strumming at such an angle to dig into the soundboard I think you should change your angle of incidence. In my amateur opinion the idea is to strings as "flatly"as possible not like some dive-bomber.

how do you change a strumming angle.If it feels comfortable "dive-bombing".Thats how you play.I personally dont care for a worn looking guitar,(even if I did it).That is why I touched up the paint on my rickenbacker with GET THIS,a sharpie.I wore it myself.While I should take pride, I dont.I want it to look as new as possible

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Sometimes you intentionally manipulate the pick's contact point with the string and the angle of attack to change your sound.

I pick towards or away from the sound hole / pickups all the time if I'm intentionally trying to get the string to slap against the fretboard. It sounds cool.

Two words - Monte Montgomery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8_6aa-TTvI

This old Avarez/ Yairi has a cedar top if I'm not mistaken. Cedar is a softer wood than spruce and more easily damaged, but still leaves you wondering what's holding this guitar together.  Sounds great though.  His guitar reflects his playing style. I'm certain that he's not the least bit concerned about how the guitar looks.  He's concerned with the sound and playability.

Now available in 5G !

Cool vid.

Possible explanation for the Martin: The person who owns this guitar plays it a lot. He/she probably picks a lot. The top wear is from resting the thumb on the body when picking the top strings and the bottom wear is from resting the pinky on the body when picking the lower strings. I place my thumb and pinky in almost the same spots when I pick.

Monte's guitar: Looks like an older guitar thus has the nitrocellulose  finish. As this finish is, from what I hear, much more delicate than the finish on, say, my Epi it will be affected by just the oils and sweat of the player. If you look at the finish it is affected by where his arm or hand would come into contact with the body.

Just my observations.

I am not really one for aesthetics, I go for results. While I don't, and won't, purposely abuse my guitar I won't worry about how it looks unless the sound is affected.

The last two guitars I bought (Norman ST68 & the S&P Pro) didn't have pickguards, though they do have a glossy finish, rather than the usual satin. Does this mean they are supposed to "fingerpicking type" guitars? I'm more of a strummer, so was thinking of fitting pickguards. Or would this affect the sound & be rather unnecessary? The S&P has a couple of marks below the soundhole, so a pickguard would at least cover these!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Normtheguitar,
I suppose you're assumptions are correct regarding the lack of a pickguard. However I think the whole idea of having a guitar for strumming versus one for finger-style is exaggerated. Play what you like and what sounds good. I will admit finger-style is easier with a wide nut but that does not stop me from trying on my dreadnought - which according to lore is for strumming. I'm not a big fan of pickguards but it doesn't really interfere with a purchasing decision UNLESS it is an unusually large pick-guard or one of those ridiculous double guards which seem to surround the soundhole. In those cases it is a show-stopper!
dj

Have you ever seen the lead guitarist from RADIOHEAD (Johnny Greenwood) play?
He absolutely beats up his guitar....and yet somehow maintains great sounding music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfkqeLBsors

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle