Topic: This guy can really pick!!

I was watching Letterman last night and Brad Paisley was his last guest Alabama backed him up  I must admit to not being up to date on who's who in country there are so many young talented artists but this guy really impressed me not just his vocals but his command of the fretboard he plays some of the best licks I have heard in a while effortlessly its easy to understand his earning the country music awards entertainer of the year great player period!!
this song Alcohol features a solo by Brad around 4:20 into the song he makes that Tele sing enjoy smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E89kMqTr … ature=fvst

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: This guy can really pick!!

I was more impressed that he managed change guitars without knocking off the preposterous hat big_smile

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Yes, he can pick indeed.  Not one of my favorite songs, however.  I just can't seem to get in to new country.  It's changing without me.  I live in the past musically.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Once you realize that new country is classic rock without the flatted thirds, it's a lot easier to take.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Country's changed,  "I don't think Hank done it that way".   still listen to the oldies.

badeye          cool

one caper after another

Like the paisley pick guard.
if I had long skinny fingers that could move like that I would be a far richer man.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

When did Country go electric? I always thought it was just a guy with a piece of straw in his mouth, cowboy hat, plaid shirt, and a banjo.:lol:

Here's some new country for ya. It's a few years old but doesn't sound like any country I've heard before, except for that twang in his voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AZLUohDCGo

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the music world is flexible enough to embrace all the new styles there will still be people who like Hank,Willy and Waylon and traditional country I for one do but I cant help but be impressed with Brad Paisley from a lead guitarist point of view it takes a lot of practice to develop the chops to rip those solos and I like the chord structures and melodies of his songs very fluid smile

9 (edited by steelstrings 2011-05-26 00:48:10)

I like the new style of country. I thinks it gets a bit boring with just one man and his acoustic guitar.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

The country music I knew is long gone.   At some of the songwriting seminars I've attended they tell you that the genre is pretty much being controlled by 16-18 year old girls who spend daddy's money on CD's, downloads and concert tickets. Today's country is rock sung with a southern accent.

But at least with just a few exceptions, Bluegrass has stayed pretty close to it's roots.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Country is now Alternative Country.  I couldn't believe it when Waylon, Willie, and Johnny started showing up on the Alternative Country.  No.  They're not alternative.  They're the real thing. 

I like that Zac Brown Band, though.  Like them a lot.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Alternative country's pretty cool. Keith Urban ,Brooks and Dunn, and Lady Antebellum are a few I listen to. I do like other styles of music though.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Zurf wrote:

Country is now Alternative Country.  I couldn't believe it when Waylon, Willie, and Johnny started showing up on the Alternative Country.  No.  They're not alternative.  They're the real thing. 

I like that Zac Brown Band, though.  Like them a lot.

- Zurf

Same thing happened to Folk Music...

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

steelstrings wrote:

Alternative country's pretty cool. Keith Urban ,Brooks and Dunn, and Lady Antebellum are a few I listen to. I do like other styles of music though.

Those guys are considered the mainstream in the U.S.  They're good, but (with the exception of Brooks and Dunn) aren't country to me.  They're rock bands without the flatted thirds.  The first time I heard Lady Antebellum, I was wondering if .38 Special had reunited.  That's not a joke. 

What counts as alternative country in the U.S. are the old "Outlaw Country" acts like those I mentioned above and then add in folks that they influenced, like Marty Robbins.  Then there's the whole Texas 80's thing with Guy Clark, James Earl, Lyle Lovett, John Hiatt, and folks like that.  Though I'm not sure if John Hiatt is out of Texas.  Good, solid, lyric-driven country bands that can't get airtime and are relegated to digital satellite stations and Pandora. 

- Zurf

steelstrings wrote:

I like the new style of country. I thinks it gets a bit boring with just one man and his acoustic guitar.

With the exception of Niel Young of course. I think he's best alone with his acoustic guitar.

none of the comments has anything to do with Brad Pasiley or the video with the exception of bensonp just a tangent on how country has changed, of course it has changed but as I stated the traditional forms still exist and are appreciated by many fans I will say Brad is one the best pickers I have listened to in quite a while and that includes Jerry Reed and Chet he is original and refreshing to listen to and I dont care what style you label him.

I do not know if any of you saw american idol,the winner was country style Scotty Mcrerry? (Might have the last name wrong) He looks and sounds like older country,Ithink he will be the next big country star.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I have to agree with Russell on this one, Brad is one of the best pickers out there right now. I find the subject matter of his songs to be very entertaining and much different than most of todays country songs. I'm Gonna Miss Her, Ticks, Mud on the Tires, I'm Still A Guy and Online are just a few. He also has some great songs that are more serious in subject matter such as Anything Like Me, He Didn't Have to Be, We Danced and She's Everything. If you are not familiar with his music just check him out. Zurf, I'm with you on Zac Brown Band, they are very good also.