1 (edited by jets60 2007-06-06 03:49:07)

Topic: It Could Take a Night

This song tells its own story so I'll let it. Hope you like it....By the way, it only took me until a quarter till 12 so it was not as bad as the song makes it sound.

It Could Take a Night By Jeff Gilpin

June 5th, 2007

Intro

[C] [G] [D] [Am] [Em] [G] [D] [Am]

Verse 1

[Am]Why’d I pick up my guitar

[Em]It’s going on half past 10

I [G]won’t have the time to [D]finish

So why the heck did I be[Am]gin

Verse 2

[Am]Hell, I still do it anyway

I [Em]know I should just go to bed

But [G]I like picking through the [D]liter

Lining the highways in my [Am]head

Chorus

[C]I can’t let it take too [G]long

[D]Because I’ve got to hit the [Am]hay

But [Em]I’ve got miles to [G]cover

It could take a [D]night

and maybe the next [Am]day

Verse 3

[Am]I may be digging up good ones

[Em]Like finding treasure I’d forgotten

Or it [G]might be me picking at a festering [D]scab

Uncovering old wounds that turned [Am]rotten

Chorus

It could take a [D]night

Verse 4

[Am]I could rediscover my first love

By [Em]dusting off my lost innocence

More [G]likely it’ll be forgotten [D]dreams

And how my youth was mis[Am]spent

Chorus

It could take a [D]night

Verse 5

[Am]Then I’ll probably try to come to closure

[Em]Putting things back in place for another time

[G]Maybe try to find the silver [D]lining

Or at least hope there’s one to [Am]find

Chorus

It could take a [D]night

Ending Chorus

[C]I guess at least for tonight I’ve [G]finished

[D]Enough writing at least for this [Am]song

And I [Em]still have time to catch a [G]wink or two

Saying to my[D]self,

See, I told you it wouldn’t take [Am]long"

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: It Could Take a Night

another great song jeff...love the chords...keeep doing your thing...
your fan
saba smile

love is like a violin, the music may stop now and then but the strings remain forever...

Hey Saba - Thank you very much - It was kind of fun to write but not so fun waking up this morning wink

Jeff

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Ah a late niter eh. Nice song Jets.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

Man that song is great!  I can really relate to the lyrics and once again, you put another great one out here!! Keep writin' em' and i'll keep lovin' em'!

"Fly on Proud Bird, At Last You Are Free"
-Charlie Daniels

Thanks guys - yep - and I'll keep at it.

J  E  T  S

I can definately identify with this lyric.  Some folk can stare at a TV for hours when they should be getting some shut eye . . . I tend to sit up til all hours with my notebook and instrument while scribbling and humming and thrumming and mumbling to myself.

People at work chat about something they watched on TV - I just stay quiet because if I were to say something like, "Last night I wrote a little blues song about dissecting my daughters date", well - they might think I was strange or something . . . .

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hey James - You crack me up. I'm not writing to night but I got some ideas in the cooker I'll share:
I was thinking about how really good songs have the a catchy chorus so I was going to sit down when I have the time and come up with just the music for the chorus and then wrap the rest of the music for the song around it. Then I would write the lyrics which is usually backwords of how I work now.

Another idea was to come up with a harmony verse for Mournful Cry. I got the idea listening to some of the Indigo Girls new work that reminded me of some of the gospel harmony I grew up with (all that was on tv on Sunday morning when I grew up).

My last idea I havent started anything with yet was about a Comeback story song....nothing else with that but who doesn't love a comeback?

Anyway I'm off to bed for the night (up late again). smile

J  E  T  S

Yet again you write another great song!! I love stuff man...keep it up!!!

How come we forget what we want to remember, and remember what we want to forget??

Thanks MG - I'm posting another one is a second. smile

J  E  T  S

Hello Jeff - I would relish the opportunity to collaborate with you on songs!  Your idea of starting a song by coming up with a chorus with a great 'hook' is perfect.

My stuff usually starts with a lyrical idea of some sort, so starting with a melodic hook would be a good creative exercise.  Judging by the lyrical content of many popular songs (vacuous, at best), this is probably the approach many pop artists use . . . but there is no reason why it couldn't result in a song with actual meaning.

I have several songs that would also lend themselves to harmonies in the chorus.  Again, another worthy challenge.

I need to get off my duff and record some more of my stuff . . .

Am working now on a twangy/gospel sort of thing tentatively entitled "When You Go".  Is still in very raw form, but would love to send what I got and see if it might be something to play with together . . .  I'll send it via private message and maybe it can be a start?  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

12 (edited by jets60 2007-06-08 20:37:15)

I'm on it James! Do you know the Indgo Girls' song Pendulum Swinger? I'm looking at doing something like that or a similiar style. Oh yeah, the song from the chorus is called Keep It Real and I posted it earlier today.

Cheers,

Jets

J  E  T  S

this is a wicked song and wonderful lyrics wow.

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel García Marquez