Topic: New strings

While playing yesterday I noticed my guitar sounded out of tune. I tuned it and it still sounded bad so I decided to re-string it. I got a spare set of strings with the guitar but my wife bought me a set of Elixers that were lighter than the original strings.

Cool! I 'm gonna get those babies on and tear it up!

So...I take off the old ones, just like the DVD that came with the guitar said, and put the Elixers on. Of course I put them on and do an initial loose wind to take up most of the slack. Then when all are on and in place I proceed to tune the Low E....

SPANG! The freakin' thing broke! Uhhh....No prob. I'm gonna continue with the rest and use the heavier gauge Epi strings I got with the guitar.

On to the A string! It tunes well! Cool! On to the D string!....

SPANG!

I ended up using the Epi strings....

I think I wrapped em wrong as I was taking up slack and stressed em too much. Both broke at the tuning peg. I made sure to wrap the Epi's in a way that would not stress them.

Is there another reason, aside from the lighter gauge, that the strings would have broken? Both strings broke when they were waaaay too low (in tone) to be "too tight".

Any thoughts?

Re: New strings

I'll take a stab at this one.....

First off I would go to the Taylor Guitar website and watch their video on changing strings, especially about how many turns around the tuning peg before the strings get tight. I like to allow a little bit more slack than those folks, but only because I like to get at least 4 wraps around on the low E and 5-6 on the rest of them.  That way when the strings tighten up the stress is not at the bend where the string passes through the post.

Then take a deep breath and tune the A string to 440Hz and the rest relative to that note.  Give them all a little stretch with your thumb and then go to your tuner to get everything up to proper pitch.  Keep in mind that your chromatic tuner doesn't care which
E you tune that bass string to, and you could have been working yourself up to the next higher E in the scale, which would surely snap the string even if it is not defective.  If you KNOW that you were in the correct octave and the things gave up, you might have a couple strings that were not tempered properly which will lead to the same result.  In that case I would wander them down to my local vendor and request replacements, or pitch a bitch to Elixer online which will likely get you a couple sets gratis in the interests of customer goodwill.

I usually use a 440A tuning fork, or my piano for that reference note (on piano, the A is below middle C) so there is less chance of being grossly out of pitch.

Bad strings aren't unheard of, and I even had a few G strings that were not tough enough myself.... all were gladly replaced by my local dealer for free, and the defectives sent back to the factory for testing.  Also check the post holes for sharp edges or burrs which can be dressed with a small Swiss Pattern File, a good magnifier will help visually check for sharp edges... they might be sharp on one side and not on the other if they weren't well de-burred after drilling in manufacture.

Take Care, & Good Luck;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

The fact that you were using a dvd to restring tells me its youre first time restringing.It takes a few times to get restringing down to a science.I broke strings many times by winding them too tight.Like playing,restringing takes practice.When you start winding the string have the tuner ready as soon as you start winding and dont rush.Doug is also right.Bad strings do happen.Find someone who can show you how who has done it forever.I had two seasoned pros teach me twice and it was easy after the first few times.Also if youre tuner doesnt give a reading after continually turning the peg,back off and start over.Hope that helps;  Joe

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Thank you for your input. The Epi strings are working well as of today. Hopefully when I replace these strings ( I intend to go with lighter strings) I will not  make the same mistakes.

Buy strings by the box.  They're a consumable, they break, and they get nasty and need changed like diapers.  You'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I am always leary of this, but it has never happened yet.  Make sure you are not tuning them an octave higher than they should be.  It will sound in tune but be way to tight that way.  just a suggestion to look out for.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

7 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2011-06-02 00:12:10)

Strings are like diapers?Very eloquent way of putting it.I havent changed a diaper for a long time,but I change strings a few times a year.Just remember:no matter how old a string is,it still wont smell as bad as a diaper. Just a deep thought!!!

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I broke a string today. Yep. I was pretending my classical guitar was really a electric and I was bending the strings and then....SNAP!

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

I have broken a ridiculous number of D strings on my classical guitar.  The shop I use says for some reason that string is particularly vulnerable and they keep a good supply of single D strings for classicals in stock.   He said sometimes he'll come in in the morning and have busted D strings from guitars hanging on the wall.  I think it's elves do it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I used to play elixers but I found that once the glaze wears off, the things become impossible to keep in tune. They start to vibrate all slantwards....too bad, too.  They're great strings.