Topic: La Da Dum La Da Lyla

This is just a song about my precocious little granddaughter Lyla and her little brother Brodie.

La Da Dum La Da Lyla By Jeff Gilpin

June 5th, 2011

Chorus

[C]La da dum la da Lyla

[G]La da dum la da [C]Lyla

[F]La da dum la da [C]lyla

[G]La da [C]dum

Verse 1

[F]Lyla wakes up in the [C]morning

[G]Wiping the sleep from here [C]eyes

[F]The day sure-ly wont be [C]boring

[D]Always full of sur[G]prise

Chorus

[C]La da dum la da Lyla

[G]La da [C]dum

Verse 2

[F]Waking ups Brodie her [C]brother

[G]Wanting a little to [C]eat

[F]Drinking and eating and [C]smiling

To the [D]patter of Lylas [G]feet

Chorus

[C]La da dum la da Lyla

[G]La da [C]dum

bridge

[D]Will she go out[G]side

[D]Will she go up [G]stairs

[D]Will she sing us a [G]song or two

[D]Whatever she [G7]dares, little [C]Lyla

Chorus

[C]La da dum la da Lyla

[G]La da [C]dum

Verse 3

[F]Coming downstairs clean and [C]smiling

[G]After her trip to the [C]tub

[F]Smelling all clean eyes a [C]gleam

[D]Gives her grandpa a [G]hug

Chorus

[C]La da dum la da Lyla

[G]La da [C]dum

Verse 4

[F]Brodies clean now and theyre [C]ready

[G]Heading to bed for the [C]night

[F]Getting a story from [C]mama

[D]Then off to bed to sleep [G]tight

Chorus

[C]La da dum la da Lyla

[G]La da [C]dum

bridge

[D]She dreams about [G]playing

[D]She dreams about having [G]fun

[D]She dreams about [G]everything

[D]Everything under the [G7]sun, little [C]Lyla

Chorus

[C]La da dum la da Lyla

[G]La da [C]dum [G] [C]

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: La Da Dum La Da Lyla

You're really good with this songwriting thing. Do you try to get them published or send them to some record company?

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Hey Steel,

Thanks - I have thought about it, but you have to get a recognized name before you people start doing wanting to record your songs. Maybe I will be able to when my day job and school doesn't take the majority of my time.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

hi jeff putting kids in songs always makes a good write,i inquired about getting my songs published,paramount music.com in america,they put the music to the song if you cant write music like me,get an artist and guitarist to make a demo and charge between $150-$400 dollars for the demo.the more you can do yourself the more royalties you get,but they take a bigger cut if they have to do a lot of work to produce it.its a big outlay before you can start making any profit so i declined it.....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Hey Daddy,

Thanks for the feedback. I figure I will have the time to do more recording on my own once I retire. For now, I will enjoy writing for me.

J  E  T  S

I like that one jets,I think you and daddycool do some great songwriting. Maybe you two should write some toghter.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks Dino. I'm up for it if daddycool is.

J  E  T  S

Nice song Jeff.
Perhaps you and Bob could do a verse each and haggle over the chours.  smile
Sounds like a good idea.
ark

Thanks ark - I will see if he's up for it this weekend.

J  E  T  S

hi jeff,

looking forward to the recording, this weekend you say?

nice write.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

The "this weekend" is about getting with daddycool to write a song together. My recdording room was taken over by my daughter and her family who are staying with us for a while. I have a big long list of songs I need to record but I was holding out for when my daughter moves out....I'm hoping sometime this year but not sure exactly when.

J  E  T  S

families....who'd have `em?

a big long list? cant you move your gear to another room?

Not right now...crowded house...I'm hoping they are out by the end of summer or so.

J  E  T  S

Well here it is, the song that's been stuck in my head for days on end.  I'll be playing this tonight!  The best part is I was able to meet little Lyla and comprehend WHY someone would write a song about her.  She's so darn stinkin cute!  Once you hear this guys, it will too be stuck in your heads.  There's nothing like a little "la da dum" to a lyric that just sticks with you.  GREAT job Jeff.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Love this song too! In fact I have a photo of you singing it, with Lyla in the background - should be on F/Book very soon...
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Thanks your two. I hope it's a good stuck, Amy. I just heard the patter of Lyla's feet downstairs as I'm typing this. She is so cute, and I expect her to inspire many more songs as she grows up. I still remember her as a baby, but they all grow up so fast don't they.

I will look forward that picture Paul and feel free to post here as well.

J  E  T  S

It's a good stuck,  been working on picking this and singing it today

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Finally got put up a recording - https://soundcloud.com/jets60/la-da-dum-la-da-lyla     

J  E  T  S

JETS

That is just excellent. Love the picture too I  Imagine she is a bundle of energy and happiness.

Congrats on both your grand daughter and a superb song

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Thanks Jim - She's a wonderful girl and fits the song perfectly.     

J  E  T  S

left a note on sound cloud     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I noticed that your first post about this track was in 2011, Lyla must be a teenager by now? Lovely song by the way, I've done a few inspired by my youngest granddaughter, I have 12 grandkids and 4 great grandchildren, this website don't half make ya feel old?     

A perfect song for a little girl.     

Hey Phill and Pete - Thanks. Phill, you're correct. Lyla as much older than when I wrote the song. She is going to be something special let me tell you. Yes - Chordie does makes me feel old sometimes. Pete, it is the perfect song for her, then and now.     

J  E  T  S