1 (edited by TheOnlyTaylor 2011-06-10 03:24:36)

Topic: Maroon Schecter Diamond Series Guitar??

Google wasn't too much help for this one and I really don't have enough information to tell how much of a deal I'm getting myself into. I'm going to go see what the guitar looks like (and hopefully get a chance to play it) before/if I buy. The offered price was 100 dollars. Based on Maroon Schecter's Retail prices, they don't offer in the Diamond series a retail under five-hundred. Obviously, most guitars are sold quite a bit under retail by the time they get to the consumer.

I'm also getting the amp along with it, which I heard was torn to bits. He mentioned a little body damage, but that it plays fine. I suppose there's really no way of knowing until tomorrow...

I Actually bought a Vostex multi-tracker(Steal!) at a garage sale a while ago and I've been recording on it. I just don't like the sound I get from my acoustic. I'm hoping it will sound a better with an electric. Quite frankly, I could care less how the body looks as long as it plays fine.

But what do you think?

no audience required.

Re: Maroon Schecter Diamond Series Guitar??

Schecter makes fine instruments, a little neck heavy for my taste but that is just a personal preference thing and may be just the C1 I was playing had a light mahogany body which can make a difference.  Sound was great and sustained very well.  Don't be discouraged if you find that you don't sound like you think you should right off the bat.  You've been playing acoustic and electrics are of the same family, but a different beast.  Changing one to the other it is different having to "lighten up" a bit on the electric.  They are strung lighter generally and I have a tendency to really choke the heck out of mine for the first few chords or so.

Cosmetics are just that, and even nasty marks can be repaired without too much expense or bother.... it's just woodworking after all.
Loose joints especially around the neck/body, might be worth taking a good look at.  Check out the pots and switches, listen for rattles that might indicate loose wires or electronics etc.  The usual snaps crackles and pops.  Inspect for neck warp, cracks and glue joints that might show that it has been used (abused) as a weapon in some bar fight and stuff like that.  Good hunting, hope you get a keeper!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hey thanks. I'll post the picture of the guitar in a little while. Most everything is in good condition. I'd say the body is still perfectly together. It's got a few chips on the side and I might have to replace one of the pickups, but it definitely was a deal. He also gave me his stand, a handful of guitar picks, two straps and the case. I've played quite a bit with it today and I really like it. I'll have to get new strings. I'll also post a picture of it as soon as I find a camera. It's a 006 Deluxe Maroon Schecter Diamond Series with a red body, it was their discount version. It works great.

no audience required.

SWEET!!

if you have to replace a PUP, you should check out www.stewmac.com for components and perhaps some touch up materials for those dings. For strings I would highly recommend Thomastik-Infeld JS112, get them online for the best price and I'm really sold on them for electric and acoustic for value/dollar and playability.

Have fun with your "New" Axe!!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

5 (edited by TheOnlyTaylor 2011-06-17 04:16:51)

Only two days ago did I find out that there was a store close by where I could buy strings at. Yesterday I gave it a look and decided to buy some Ernie Ball electric guitar strings. To my surprise I saw the exact same model guitar on the wall; Just the same as the one I had just bought. It had a 325$ price tag marked down from retail. It did look like it had a spot where someone repainted over some damage in a liter color of red. I picked it up and played it for a while. I think, regardless of the fact that they're the same brand, I like how the one I bought plays more than the one in the store. This didn't really come to a surprise to me really.

I would've put the strings on as soon as I got home, but my brother offered to reset up my bridge to the right length for me. He said he needed the practice. So I guess I'll wait until the next time I see him.

no audience required.