1 (edited by jets60 2007-06-09 13:26:59)

Topic: The Sleepy Time Song

Many nights I get to play my wife to sleep and tonight was one of those nights. The song I played was something like what's below but I lost some of it somewhere between the bedroom and the computer room. What's below is close though and not bad if I do say so myself. When I sing for her in the sleepy time song I don't usually bother with rhyming so for the verses I stayed true to that. I hope you like it.

The Sleepy Time Song By Jeff Gilpin

June 9th, 2007

Verse 1

[A]I’m watching you

As you [G]lay there re[A]laxing

Listening to the [ ]music

Of my [E]sleepy time song

Verse 2

[A]I’m not sure what I’m playing

But it [G]feels right to [A]me

Rocking you off to [ ]some where

Wish [E]I were going too

Chorus

[D]I don’t get too [A]loud

[E]I don’t play too [G]long

[D]I have my eyes u[A]pon you

Playing my [E]sleepy time [A]song

Verse 3

[A]It could start out as one thing

That [G]turns into something [A]else

I let it take what [ ]ever path

So [E]long as it’s sedate

Verse 4

[A]I play a little softer

As I [G]see your eyelids [A]flicker

I’ve settled on the tune[ ] now

And it’s [E]sailing you away

Chorus

Playing my [E]sleepy time [A]song

Verse 5

[A]I think it’s pretty nice

So I [G]try and re[A]member

What were the [ ]chords

[E]How did I play them

Verse 6

[A]I wrap it up slowly

As I [G]see you’re far a[A]way

I close it out [ ]softly

No [E]fanfare or applause

Break

[G]I see you in the silence

[D]As the music starts to slips away

So it’s [G]off to try to capture

Before it’s [E]gone fore[E7]ver

Chorus

Playing my [E]sleepy time [A]song[A7]

Ending Chorus

[D]I didn’t play too [A]loud

[E]I almost played too [G]long

[D]I think I’ve come real [A]close

To my [E]sleepy time [G]song[D] [A]

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: The Sleepy Time Song

Hey ..This is a beautiful song jets...Love the idea and i'm sure your woman's heart was won over the first time you did this or played her to sleep with this tune....Way to go!

"Fly on Proud Bird, At Last You Are Free"
-Charlie Daniels

Hi Jets , I love this song! So simple and full of love, the way life should be.
I have a Piece of pottery  of  " A Girl asleep  on a Bean Bag Called "The Dreamer" Made by Genenis... Your song and this piece will be forever twinned in my mind!
Slán
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks Old Doll. This is one of the hidden benefits of learning to play the guitar for me. Playing until my wife falls asleep is pretty cool for me and she seems to likes it too. My favorite comment from her when I do that is, "What song is that?" Usually it's when it is a totally made up tune. I'm going to see if I can catch a peek of "The Dreamer" somewhere on the net. Thanks again - Jets

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Lovely song Jeff,

It conjures up a romantic vision whilst playing it especially after knowing how it came to be written.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi Jets 60,
You mentioned in your post you would like to see the dreamer pottery? As i am hopeless at links!
I will give you this info on same to help!  Genenis Fine Art, Mullingar Business Park, Co, Westmeath. You are looking for the  " Chloe " Emotional Range." I have 4 of their pieces, one is a girl playing Guitar, The thinker, The dreamer, and Poetry,  They also have a few more in the range.  They are limited editions, but the dreamer is still in stock! Somehow i think you should Purchase the dreamer, As it so goes with your song! Your wife would love it , Im sure  as i do ! If you have  Any Problems with same ?
I will help if needed?.
Slán
Old Doll.

Hey Old Doll,

Took a little while but eventually found the URL for you:

http://www.genesisireland.com/products.php?cat=26

Roger

You guys rock! Thanks -  I was stumbling along trying to find it and finally gave up because I had to go do some honey dos.

Thanks,

Jeff/jets

J  E  T  S

HONEY DO'S?

If it won't corrupt the innocent can I have a translation please?

Roger

You know: HONEY would you DO me a favor... It's slang american for  weekend work your wife makes you do. smile

J  E  T  S

lol that is pretty funny!! but i also agree with old doll this song is great!!! keep going i hope i can write songs as good as all you on chordie on day!!

love Rhiannon xoxoxoxo

Follow your heart
It usually makes the right decisions <3

Hey Rhiannon, thanks- I think the trick is no to let the clunkers get you down and lord knows I've had my fair share. I think this one's pretty good too though. wink

J  E  T  S

cool thanks!!! i would love to be able to play your songs but im not very good at guitar..as people say though practise makes perfect so i will get those chords someday

Follow your heart
It usually makes the right decisions <3

Well keep at it - I just love to hear other people playing my songs.

Jeff/Jets

Also - Rainy Friday is posted on my Myspace page if you want a listen:
http://www.myspace.com/stilljeffgilpin

J  E  T  S

Hi Jets 60,
Your Mail and Attachements were delivered Very promptly this morning by "A very Handsome new Postman"  Mó Cára  "Mr Roger Guppy" Now just how many strings to his bow, Does" Roger, Honey  Dipper and Honey Do Have?.... Hope you liked the connection with your song and the dreamer!
Ps Your Wife,and baby are Both Beautiful.
Thanks Jets and "Roger" for your God given talants!
Slán
Old Doll.

16 (edited by badeye 2007-06-11 09:10:38)

I get "Honey Do's" too, But its all good.Never did have a "Honey Don't".  Nice song.

Badeye.

one caper after another