Topic: Chord Help please?!

Hi I'm a newbie... I don't as yet fully understand how capo changes chords etc. Would someone be able to tell me the Chords for Dolly Partons - Coat of Many Colours with a capo on fret 2.

These are without the capo; D G7 A E B7.

Much appreciated!

Re: Chord Help please?!

Then it would be: C, F7, G, D, A7.

If you have any more trouble, try this site:
http://www.don-guitar.com/transpose.html

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

3 (edited by NELA 2011-07-15 12:50:40)

Now if its Dolly, herself, was playing the guitar she would be tuned to playing in  an Open E position using only 1 finger to make the chords. This is due to her long fingernails. So all the root notes would be on the 6th & 5th strings

Key of C
Index finger barring the 5, 4, 3, 2, & 1 strings at the 3rd fret would be a C chord. Do not strum the 6th string.

Index finger barring the 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, & 1 strings at the 1 fret would be a F chord. Strum all 6 strings.

Index finger barring the 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 & 1 strings at the 3rd fret would be a G chord. Strum all 6 strings,

Index finger barring the 5, 4, 3, 2, & 1 strings at the 5th fret would be a D chord. Do not strum the 6th string.

A chord could be played by struming the 5, 4, 3, 2, & 1 strings, only, open or could played by barring all 6 strings at the 5th fret and struming all strings.

This tuning can also be used for slide guitar. Kinda neat, huh?

Nela

steelstrings wrote:

Then it would be: C, F7, G, D, A7.

If you have any more trouble, try this site:
http://www.don-guitar.com/transpose.html

Steelstrings - Unless I'm missing something, I think you went the wrong way.

Jools said "without the capo; D G7 A E B7."

So then WITH the capo on fret 2, wouldn't the chords be:  E, A7, B, F# and C#7?

If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Late add:  OK, I see what you did was provide the finger shapes to get the same chord with a capo on fret 2.

What i did was provide what the new chords would be using the same finger shapes.

I guess either of us could be right depending on what Jools was actually asking for.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Sorry. I'm a bit confused here. I haven't studied my music theory for awhile. But you're probably right.

Personally, I find whatever shapes suit me best (simple open cords) and then put the capo where needed to suit my voice.  There is a chart in the acoustic section if you want to know what chords you're actually playing with the capo on while using those easier chord shapes.

NELA is right though, I did some research when I first started to play the guitar because I was desperately trying to find a way around cutting my nails.  Dolly uses tuning that makes it easy, but you can't go by standard chord charts.  I simply gave in and cut my nails and haven't looked back since.  smile

Welcome to the Chordie forum Jools!  I see you've been a member for a while, stick around the forums and you'll find a host of friendly folks ready willing and able to help you along your guitar journey.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I'm kind of with mekidsmom, I'll play the song just open and experiment with the capo till I figure out what works for me. I can actually tranpose pretty well now but sometimes its still easier just to slap a capo on it smile.    Also, I can't tell you many fellow females I've watched shy away from guitar because of the whole nails thing. Ita kind of silly in retrospect because its made life much easier ( "ooh your nails dont look so great" "oh, well thats because I play guitar" "what!? you're so awesome!", or well something like that lol

All You Need is Love smile

8 (edited by steelstrings 2011-07-19 13:28:45)

Come on! Isn't playing the guitar cooler than having long nails?

I tried to teach my cousin one time but she insisted on wearig her fake nails. Naturally, they broke (not to mention the string killing action oy!). I think of cutting your nails like the first sign of dedication to your instrument! Besides, they don't have to be in the quick I keep my long enough to do nail polish and everything and just trim them if I start getting buzzes and what not. I think the issue with most people is less the specifics ( cutting your nails, running scales, building callouses etc.) and more the idea of actual commitment to the craft and havig to literally buckle down and get to work. Saying I don't wanna cut my nails is a much easier cop out than " playing guitar was just a whim, I really don't want to put the effort into it"

All You Need is Love smile

steelstrings wrote:

Sorry. I'm a bit confused here.

Yes, I can see why.  I know what I meant when I typed my last post but it reads very confusingly.  Let me try this:

Let's distinguish between a "chord" and a "chord shape".

With no capo, we agree that XX0232 is a D chord and that X32010 is a C chord.

With a capo on fret 2 that "D chord shape" actually becomes an "E chord".  This is in line with my answer.

With a capo on fret 2 that "C chord shape" actually becomes a "D chord".  This is in line with your answer.

This probably doesn't help, but I took a shot.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Yeah, I got that now.  Thanks for that.

The whole point of using a capo is that, if the song is not in your key. Use a capo and it's in your key.

the chord sequence is  1, 4(7th) 5, 2, 6(7th)  The key you are playing in will change, but the patterns will stay the same.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

http://www.jamplay.com/guitar-lessons/g … onic-minor

I've just been on this site and found a lot of pennys just dropped for me. The lesson itself seems a bit slow, but stick with it and read the text that comes with it.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.