1 (edited by FastLane 2011-07-19 13:08:07)

Topic: Screaming kids and barking dogs!!

Is it just me or are pretty much all musicians more sensitive to noises like screaming kids and barking dogs. Noises like that literally make me wince with pain. I am prone to migraines anyway so that does not help but I was just curious whether people with a sensitive ear for a melody are more aggravated by noise than the average Joe.

Other wincing sounds: road drills, hacking coughs, squeaking plimsoles etc

Maybe I am just a moany old git......?

Musical tastes range from Ludovico Einaudi to Killing Joke. A true definition of diversity, for sure!

Re: Screaming kids and barking dogs!!

Eh I work in childcare so screaming kids don't scare me smile Other adults/almost adults who are loud bother me though. Now while I'm actually playing other noises can be really frustrating, but   other times I do ok for the most part.

All You Need is Love smile

PARDON?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Women have a higher tolerance level, Hannah, that's a fact! As I say though I think it may be the migraine thing that makes it so unbearable for me.

Musical tastes range from Ludovico Einaudi to Killing Joke. A true definition of diversity, for sure!

I do agree with you FastLane. I hate it when people slurp their drinks. It REALLY irritates me. Or people whistling out of tune. I think musician's ears are more sensitive to noises, especially if you have a good ear for music. Like, I can tune a guitar by ear.(I usually use a tuner, but it's useful if I don't have one). So yeah, I think you've made a point there.

More annoying noises...
People scraping their shoes across the floor.(gives me goosebumps)
chalk across a blackboard.
My little brother talking...

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Cheers Steel. I know what you mean about whistling out of tune. That REALLY gets me. I know they can't help it, kinda like being colour blind I guess, but anyone who knowingly whistles out of tune can bug the crap out of someone with a sensitive ear and really should be humanely put down. Glad you can relate!

steelstrings wrote:

More annoying noises...
People scraping their shoes across the floor.

Big time! It's like night of the living dead at tesco. Leaning on the trolleys and shuffling along! My wife thinks I am making a fuss but I just want to pick these people up and beg them to use the backbone God provided them with and just for good measure PICK YOUR DAMN FEET UP!

Other people's children screaming does not bother me.  My children screaming gets to me quickly. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

That bad is it, Zurf??

I do have to agree about the whistling out of tune... in fact anytime anything's "off" musically kind of nauseates me. This is why I can't watch American
Idol lol! i don't think its the loudness that bothers me but yes offkey/ repetitive music can be pretty annoying.

All You Need is Love smile

Damn right! That's exactly why I don't watch the show.

Tip: Noise-cancelling headphones DO NOT WORK for screaming kids. I have a pair I wear when flying and to my dismay screaming kids and PA announcements cut through the noise filters like an unstoppable Rebel force.

Listen with your heart and all of the annoying sounds will disappear
That or at least you'll be quicker to silence the noise because of the compassion for those that are making it. If it is disturbing your playing just play louder.

naolslager wrote:

Tip: Noise-cancelling headphones DO NOT WORK for screaming kids. I have a pair I wear when flying and to my dismay screaming kids and PA announcements cut through the noise filters like an unstoppable Rebel force.

Really?! Thanks for that tip, mate. They're bloomin expensive as well aren't they!?

Fastlane,
I did NOT buy the Bose headphones. They are VERY expensive. I bought a pair of knock-offs for about 1/10 the price. But I am told the Bose headphones are just as ineffective against the screaming, etc.

For more information on living with "approximately equal to" see my post.
dj

dfoskey wrote:

Listen with your heart and all of the annoying sounds will disappear
That or at least you'll be quicker to silence the noise because of the compassion for those that are making it. If it is disturbing your playing just play louder.

Wise words I am sure. I would find it hard to feel compassion though for the manky mutt over the garden that just barks and barks and soddin well barks some more, nor would I feel compassion for the neanderthal owners that let it happen!

Nice thought though :-)

Phill Williams wrote:

PARDON?

Lawlz!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Zurf wrote:

Other people's children screaming does not bother me.  My children screaming gets to me quickly. 

- Zurf

This is me exactly.  When I see some mom struggling with her kids, I have an empathetic reaction.  When my kids get out of line, my fuse burns right down to the nub in about two seconds.  Fortunately for me, I have pretty good kids.

jerome.oneil wrote:
Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

This is me exactly.  When I see some mom struggling with her kids, I have an empathetic reaction.  When my kids get out of line, my fuse burns right down to the nub in about two seconds.  Fortunately for me, I have pretty good kids.

And I will THIRD that!  Actually, since my daughter was diagnosed with a form of autism, I've learned to become even more compassionate and understanding about other people's kids.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I can wait until I get my electric guitar (still saving up for it) then I can annoy other people with noise instead of them annoying me!

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

steelstrings wrote:

I can wait until I get my electric guitar (still saving up for it) then I can annoy other people with noise instead of them annoying me!

As long as you're in tune, mate, it's music to my ears! Thats the funny thing, I could be soaking up the sun with Killing Joke blasting in my ears thru my earphones to cover the sound of constant barking and fall asleep to it.

It's all relative i guess.....

mekidsmom wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:
Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

And I will THIRD that!  Actually, since my daughter was diagnosed with a form of autism, I've learned to become even more compassionate and understanding about other people's kids.

My youngest son is severely autistic.  He's actually the easiest of them, generally.  Once you learn how he reacts in certain situations, you can avoid them entirely.  It's the girls that drive me the most nuts, naturally.  smile

I developed, years ago, the ability to tune out everything that I want to and listen to what I need to. I think it goes with living in a firehouse for 1/3 of my time and having to jump at the sound of the tones. Then coming home after a long shift and having to sleep for a few hours during the day. Also having children inured me to chatter and noise if I wanted to read.

Last comment: Squeaking of plimsolls? How does a water line on a boat squeak?

Screaming/Crying children are annoying with a purpose.... it's genetically "hardwired" into us so we cannot ignore them.  I'm sure Hannah and Amy can identify with that....

Most things I can tune out, it's an age thing, and maybe artillery damage catching up with me.  Unusual noises, even fairly quiet ones will wake me right up though.  Heaven forbid a transformer explode down the road though.... you'll have to "winch me" from under the bed!  PTSD anyone?

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hearing sure beats not being able to hear at all. Rejoice in all that you hear, for someday you may not be able to. I live with tinnitus and know that eventually my hearing will be gone. I enjoy all that I hear, the kids playing down the road, the chickens and sheep up the hill, the donkeys and cows down in the holler, the hawk calling to its mate, the dogs barking at the coyotes up on the ridge. The sounds of life, it's all music to me.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".