Topic: R.I.P. Laptop...

So my laptop is officially busted, as in a heap of loose pieces on my floor. My boyfriend managed to get the hard drive so I can recover my mp3s and what not later, but it means I'll be haunting these forums via iphone until I can get the money/parts for him to build me a desktop... So apologies in advance for typos, weird spellcheck results, lack of capitalization etc. Also, what do you do with computer parts? Can you recycle them ( the copper bit pbviously but thw other stuff?). I'd feel bad about putting it in the garbage I know that stuff would never dexompose.

All You Need is Love smile

Re: R.I.P. Laptop...

Sorry to hear that Hannah, I hope it was not caused by the boyfriend ducking lol.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I just did that with my laptop.I took a sledgehammer to it.Then threw it in the trash.Why you ask.It stopped working after I spilled a full mug of coffee on it.It was completely gone.It was destroyed because I had personal information on it.If someone could get it and fix it,the info would be there.Now it cant be fixed. If the Who played with laptops instead of guitars,that is what it would be like.Also,they dont break easy.I threw it off my deck into the driveway and it didnt damage it.That is when the sledge came in.Now its dead along with my info

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Roger Guppy wrote:

Sorry to hear that Hannah, I hope it was not caused by the boyfriend ducking lol.

Roger

haha ironically by the boyfriend trying to fix it!

All You Need is Love smile

Sorry too hear about your laptop hanna. Hope your boyfriend can fix it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I feel your pain.  I just bought a new laptop.. hope it holds out for a couple months..

Now available in 5G !

hi hannahbeth,

you've done the right thing by removing the hard drive as there are some very nasty people out there who might get all your personal and financial details from it! after you've taken what you want off it destroy it completely before putting it in the trash.

out here in the sticks of Wales we have a recycling plant so all the electronics, white goods etc get disposed of properly.

good luck with getting a new PC

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Yes it can and should be recycled...all circuit boards can.  They contain a lot of expensive material and a fair bit of gold.

My ambition far exceeds my ability

You can also find a device that will allow you to turn your HD into a stand alone HD. A friend of mine got the one I have for five bucks on e-bay.

My desktop died recently and I did just what bunbun said.  I turned the hard drive into an external HD.  Sadly, it's almost just as cheap to buy a new external hard drive than to buy the enclosure for your used one, unless perhaps you're patient and can wait for one via e-bay for five bucks!  smile  The good news is, you WILL be able to get everything off of it that way, and then you'll have something to use as a back up so you don't have to worry next time in the event it's the hard drive that gets fried! 

Best wishes for a good chunk of money so you can get a new laptop and the info off of your hard drive!
Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hey Y'all,

Next time you spill something into your keyboard or ??  Turn the thing off, rinse the works out with distilled water and blow it out with compressed air to get the water out.  after a few days drying in a warm place, it will likely come back to life.  Done this many times and can say that coffee, water etc. is not that corrosive if dealt with promptly.  Soft drinks..... not so much.  Full of acids and sugars that really do a number on things pretty quickly.

Take Care, and no your CD tray is not to be confused with a drink holder.
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

will it work if Ispill beer on it?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman