Topic: F chord

I'm having a really hard time getting my fingers to play the F chord. Is there another way of doing this? if u answer can you simplify it as to which finger on which string in which fret...   thanks in advance to any possible answers.

Music is what feelings sound like.  ~Author Unknown
#FTLOM

Re: F chord

My 1st finger catches both #1 and#2 strings at first fret.2nd finger gets 3rd string at second fret. And 3rd finger gets 4th string at 3rd fret.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

3 (edited by zguitar 2011-07-01 03:07:53)

Welcome to Chordie Jaycee!!!

Deadstring said it all. The "small" F as it is sometimes referred to will get you by until your fingers are strong enough for barre chords. Really tho, if you think about it, this is a barre chord. You are barring the 1st and 2nd string with your index finger.

Good luck!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Chordie!

Deadstring has got it for sure....  there are other ways, but in the first position it's either that or the barre version.  If you are just kinda new at this guitar thing, then just take it one step at a time and with time and patience it will all fall into place.  Many folks just substitute the FMaj7 for the open F because it can be tricky (frustrating) to get the index finger to nail down both the B and E strings at the first fret.... FMaj7 just leaves that high E string open.  It's a good way to get the rest of the pattern ingrained into muscle memory and then add the high F note later when your hands are a bit stronger.  Same with the barre chords, open chords first and then go to the barres when the hand is up to the extra grip needed to do it well.

Small doses of practice often and of course practice the chord changes.  Mix it up and find a few three chord songs you like, learn to use your capo to work around those chords that are "stinkers".  Above all, have fun with it!

Take Care, and Welcome Aboard!

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Welcome too the site,deadstring and the rest answered your question well.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Yep thats the way I do it too.  It will become easy with some practice.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I have a habit! No not that kind! When I am in a Candy Store (Guitar Shop) the first thing I do is to see if I can make a clear "F" chord easily. Some of the older members remember my Epi that I had repaired and set up. It still is almost impossible to do it unless it is capoed up one fret or more. I think a new fret is in order but that can be disscussed on a different post.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

cheat and just fret the b string with first fret and first finger and don't play the bottom e sting.  F chord is hard for me too.

Ibanez ew20ase-nt
Martin D-18
Taylor GC-5

thank you so much for each and every one response! i didn't expect so many to reply  to my question. i am happy to report that i have gotten that chord down and am now able to play with with some hesitation..;). thank you all again.....

Music is what feelings sound like.  ~Author Unknown
#FTLOM

I just love stories with happpy endings!

11 (edited by Astronomikal 2011-07-19 15:19:10)

jayceelynn16 wrote:

I'm having a really hard time getting my fingers to play the F chord. Is there another way of doing this? if u answer can you simplify it as to which finger on which string in which fret...   thanks in advance to any possible answers.

In addition to the "small F" that others have talked about, you can make what I call a wraparound F.  It's easier than a full barre, but a bit more difficult than the small F. The good thing about it is that tonally, it's identical to a full barre.

It involves holding the neck across the palm of your hand and using your thumb on the low E.  It helps if you have big hands.

From high to low:

e and B = barre on fret 1 with index finger
G = fret 2 with middle finger
D = fret 3 with little finger
A = fret 3 with ring finger
E = fret 1 with side of thumb

So what you end up doing is using fingers 2, 3 and 4 on the G, D and A strings, just as you would for a full barre.  You then use your thumb as the "barre" for the low E instead of your index finger.  Like everything else it takes practice.  It works all the way up the neck and can be modified for minor chords (barre the bottom 3 with your index and raise your middle finger), but it doesn't adapt very well to 7ths or sus's.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Another chord that I dont think anybody covered is an F inversion. You can achieve this easier than the "small f" and the wraparound. To do so you just :
Play the Open D chord shape on the FIFTH FRET rather than the SECOND FRET It is usually played at. Thus you will be playing an inverted F chord. Hope this helps

Easier than that, play a dm7 and mute your d string. smile

I personally outlawed the F chord in another thread

Yes, the 'f' chord doesn't start with 'f' for no reason...

I used to hate trying to get to the F chord and when I did all you'd hear is p-p-p-pluck. Absolutely awful.  I'm not exactly brilliant at it now when I'm slowly getting there, but it does take a certain amount of practice and patience. I do think it's worth it though as it opens up a whole world of barre chords to you.