Topic: Guitar Courses - Not Jamplay...

Hi,

Can anybody recommend a good teach yourself DVD based guitar course, focussed on Electric, possibly with the emphasis on technique.

I work away from home a lot, on a ship, and our internet connection is just too slow for any online based lessons.  With a DVD and some books I'd be able to get along better in the quiet of my cabin.

I know that the Jamplay stuff is good, but for me the need to be online totally negates this (or similar) options.

So, if anyone could suggest a good course for someone who is not a complete beginner that would be great.  I've been playing for years, but never had a single formal lesson, so no doubt I'm doing a lot of stuff wrong.

Likewise, anything that I should avoid??

M

Re: Guitar Courses - Not Jamplay...

Try books by Gary Turner and Brenton White. Most of the books come with a DVD and CD, although some only come with a CD. The books teach anything from beginner to advanced and cover anything from jazz to lead guitar. I am self-taught and have found these books really helpful.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

mskjlk wrote:

Hi,

Can anybody recommend a good teach yourself DVD based guitar course, focussed on Electric, possibly with the emphasis on technique.

I work away from home a lot, on a ship, and our internet connection is just too slow for any online based lessons.  With a DVD and some books I'd be able to get along better in the quiet of my cabin.

Have a look at the Lick Library stuff ***feel free to google them if you wish but no links please*** they cater for just about every taste and are superbly produced.

Just an old fart struggling to get by in a life filled with pratfalls....

I'm surprised justinguitar doesn't have them available?  His online stuff is about as good as it gets, and highly recommended by many here on Chordie.

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:

I'm surprised justinguitar doesn't have them available?  His online stuff is about as good as it gets, and highly recommended by many here on Chordie.

Doug

I stumbled across Justin on You Tube - very good he is too. He offers private lessons and DVDs on his personal site (http://www.justinguitar.com/index.php). smile

Whatever you do, avoid Claude Johnson.

Usky and Doug, you have completely avoided what he needs - he cant google this stuff because his internet is bad!!

I would recommend lick library, they do a few artists that you might like! Or try and find a few music stores when you reach dry land! xD

Choridehelper123

'The journey maybe long, but in the end, its only with your trusty guitars'
Chordiehelper123  =p

Chordiehelper123 wrote:

Usky and Doug, you have completely avoided what he needs - he cant google this stuff because his internet is bad!!

I would recommend lick library, they do a few artists that you might like! Or try and find a few music stores when you reach dry land! xD

Choridehelper123

Actually I suggested he looked at Lick Library in my comment on 29/07...  wink

9 (edited by beamer 2011-11-04 03:00:15)

I would highly recomend he check out Guitar Jamz with Marty Schwarts.  I ordered a great set of DVDs from him (Licks tricks and backing tracks). He is also on line and you can see alot of his stuff on you tube.  from basic starter to advanced.  (visti a Library if you need to get a better internet conection to see His lesson pkgs)

Dont know if metal is your thing but Doug Marks has had courses out since the 80s and is great also.

If DVD is what your looking for Mary and Doug shold get you covered.  I have been using Martys stuff for the last 8 months and man HE REALLY TEACHES SO YOU CAN FOLLOW.  also on you tube look up pappastash102  He is a buddy of Martys and leans to the heavier stuff and the Hendrix and funk wah wah.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)