Topic: Teach yourself piano?

Many of us here have probably taught ourselves to play guitar. Yes, some lessons would have been of benefit but we've muddled along and are happy enough with what we can do. And many great and famous players are in the same boat.

Would anyone recommend the same approach to learning piano? Bearing in mind that I was a teenager when I started guitar but now am... not a teenager! Lessons or self-teach ?

Re: Teach yourself piano?

I'm gonna say... Go with the lessons... I don't know anyone that plays Beethoven or Prokofiev on guitar.  I know plenty that can do it on a piano, and they've all had lessons.  On the other hand,.. I don't know anybody that plays guitar that has had lessons... It's complicated and I think it depends on how much music theory you already know.  If you're good with the theory, you might could skip a few lessons...

Now available in 5G !

"might could"  That's Southern.

Now available in 5G !

Hi there!
I see this is post is a few years old, but hopefully this response will happily reach someone looking for answers.
I play several instruments, most happily the guitar. I am not a great piano player, and most of what I know I have taught myself, but I have managed to get through book 4 and occasionally play for sunday schools. I had a few lessons as a child, which I despised, but as I became a young adult I realized the piano is a good skill to have.
My advice is this :
Get a beginning piano book, like John Thompson's, and be sure to keep tempo. Don't look at the keys, just like in typing. After you've gotten familiar with that, you might get the beginning Suzuki book, with the CD. Suzuki is a method where you learn to play by repeating what you have heard, but as an adult I suggest it is easier to become familiar with the notes on the staff, and then listen and look together with Suzuki.
Thompson's book includes some theory, but you would benefit  to also get a beginning theory book, as you really need to count the notes and rests properly with the piano. After you have become proficient at book one, go on to book two. By the time you get to books 3 and 4, feel free to pick and choose the songs you like, at that point the books progress beyond drills and you can feel good and accomplished at playing actual tunes.
If you can enroll in a group piano course at a community college, that would be helpful too.
Good Luck!

"Piano in a Flash" by Scott "the piano guy" Houston is right up your alley.  Forget traditional lessons (unless you really want to play classical), you'll learn good stuff right away.

Question? Can you run a keyboard thru a guitar amp or do yuou have to buy a keyboard amp.
Help anyone.. Thanks

A guitar amp will work. A piano has more and lower bass than a guitar so a 15 inch speaker will help.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

If you have a good foundation with music theory, you should have no problem. Things are laid out pretty plainly on a keyboard. I might recommend the book "How to Play Piano Despite Years of Lessons"(http://amzn.to/rs9SCw). The example are pretty old, but it gets the point across.

Hi I wanna learn Piano in just 5 days, since I promised an orphanage children's that I will play the Piano on occassion of completing 5th year of that organisation. So please do tell me how could I learn Piano .

[url=http://www.patentsusa.com]patent attorney[/url]