Topic: What would your dream acoustic guitar be

With money not being a major issue (say up to $5,000.00 US) what would your dream acoustic be.

what a long strange trip it's been

Re: What would your dream acoustic guitar be

Hi Patrick,

I have my dream guitar.

18 months ago I was in the market for a new guitar although I did not have a lot of cash. After much looking around and trying guitars I found one that I loved. You might guess, it was out of my price bracket. It was a Fender JG-26SCE and the price was €600.00.  I dreamed about this guitar and kept going back to play it for about 6 weeks until I could eventually afford it.

Not the most expensive guitar, I know, but amplified or unplugged I think she is great.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

With that much money to spend (first off I wish) I would go to a custom build and have the guitar tailor made for me and what I want in a guitar. But being practical I would opt to buy two to four good ones. If you find a shop that you like and an few guitars I sure they would deal with you. But seriously for that amount get the dream hand crafted for you, so what if you have to wait a little while. I the long run it will be worth the wait.

Bootlegger.

I have my dream acoustic, but I don't know what brand it is, and it is busted.
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

Send pictures it maybe repairable.

Bootlegger.

6 (edited by brainsaladsurgeon 2007-06-10 22:36:35)

'54 or '57 National full body acoustic, same era Les Paul or Strat, but other than that, I I have my dreams! '78 Aria TS-600(electric) and a late model Ovation Balladeer.

$0.02
dw

Yeah, I said my dog doesn't bite, but that's not my dog.

Years ago (in a galaxy far, far, away...) I was both young and dumb. I found a Ghiannini 12 string cutawy, in all rosewood with a sold top. This guitar was AMAZING!!! To make a long short, I decided that 500.00 was too much to pay for any guitar.

I'm older now at least...If I see another like it, I'm selling the kids.

Opinions,... being what they are...

I have a Bozeman Gibson J-200 that I wouldn't trade for any other guitar.  However, Bootleger has a great idea. Buy a variety pack of really good acoustics or have one built to your needs.

Now available in 5G !

It would be a custom full bodied dreadnought.    Beyond rosewood fingerboard and mother of perl inlays, I don't have a clue.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

A mint condition original Gibson Hummingbird please smile

I made my way to the big guitar store in town here for the first time. I then made my way to the room with the high end acoustic guitars. The man told me to help myself and that I could play to my hearts content. There were martins, taylors, gibsons and enen some guilds (guild is what I have now)Also a canadian brand Boucher. Hanging up real high was that dream guitar I had always dreamed about. (less than 500 made)I had no clue they were still available new. I stood on a bench and pulled it down. It was a martin, the Bellezza Nera. An Eric Clapton Signiture model designed by EC himself himself. A mere $5,000.00 away. Anyway for some reason his idea of the perfect neck was very wide. Too wide for me, although the sound and action were what I would call absolutly perfect I came to realize that this guitar was not made for me. It just goes to show the importance of trying out a guitar before investing your money. I spent an hour and a half playing all the different guitars. One model that really surprised me was the Gibson Blues King. A small body guitar with quality  sound and a very impressive punch for  $ 2,000.00. And of course the martins in a wide price range,  depending on how much bling bling you want. I am ready to put a down payment and put one on layaway I just want to make sure itis the right one for me. I still have not made up my mind. Correction I have narrowed it down. It will be a martin.

patrickjacques, Isn't Steve's great? It's nice how they let you try out everything. I wasn't too impressed by the Bouchers though.

I'm not sure if you know this already, but between the 6th- 9th of July, there will be a Montreal Guitar Show. Most of the participants are independent luthiers (not big brands like Fender etc...), so I'm guessing that we'll be able to find very high-end quality instruments. Maybe even a "dream acoustic guitar"...

If you're interested (or any other Montrealers) :

http://www.salondeguitaredemontreal.ca/accueil_en.aspx

13 (edited by patrickjacques 2007-06-18 18:49:28)

Wow mrjay I never mentioned that I was at Steve's, but thats exactly where I was. If you get a chance check out that Eric CLapon Bellezza Nera and tell me what you think. It's very cool hearing from people in the same neighborhood . My acoustic is sick and she needs to see the doctor (luthier) The guy at steve's gave me the name of what he claims to be the best in Montreal a Mr LaPort, anyway I think I will get some opionns from some of those guys at the Montrael Guitar how .....Thanks.                                                                                                                   Oh yea I agree with you on the Boucher. They did not do much for me . I found them to be twangy. Some guy came in when I was playing and he would just not stop talking about how great they were. That whole made in Quebec thing I guess

Since you have the chance to go to that guitar show speak to a few luthiers and try their stuff out ands see what a custom made to your specs cost. They maybe able to build you what your looking for and get your old Guild fixed as part of the deal. It don't hurt to get a couple of quotes once you seen a few guitar builds you like.

Food for thought.

Bootlegger.

15 (edited by mhebert 2007-06-19 01:33:30)

patrickjacques wrote:

Wow mrjay I never mentioned that I was at Steve's, but thats exactly where I was. If you get a chance check out that Eric CLapon Bellezza Nera and tell me what you think. It's very cool hearing from people in the same neighborhood . My acoustic is sick and she needs to see the doctor (luthier) The guy at steve's gave me the name of what he claims to be the best in Montreal a Mr LaPort, anyway I think I will get some opionns from some of those guys at the Montrael Guitar how .....Thanks.                                                                                                                   Oh yea I agree with you on the Boucher. They did not do much for me . I found them to be twangy. Some guy came in when I was playing and he would just not stop talking about how great they were. That whole made in Quebec thing I guess

I've never been fond of Steves', I always found them to be a little stuck up. I guess that I never met the right people there. I've spent many afternoons in Archambaults trying all the guitars but now I always tend to migrate to Claude DeBussys' on the south shore. It has a very family type atmosphere and very personal service.

As for the whole Made in Quebec thing I play a Norman and just love it. The problem with companies like Boucher and  Art Luthier is that they seem to be targeting the lower to mid range budgets and put out more quantity then quality. Not the best guitars around. To many people tend to buy because the guitars are made here, I chose my Norman because it had the best sound and touch for my budget at the time.

I will try to get to the show!

Bonne Journée

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Hey Michel, I am kinda new in Montreal and not exactly sure when I hear the tearm South Shore. I am in Longueuil, where would that be in terms of getting to the South Shore and locating Claude DeBussy and which town or part of Montreal would that be. I have been to one of the Archambaults actualy a bunch of times. The thing about them is they don't seem th want to budge on their prices. I did notice a wide range of Normans and other Quebec made guitars. I think I will drop by and test drive some  of those Normans. I will let yiu know what I think. One guitar I have had my eye on there is a resonator guitar. Ever hear of Goldtone by Paul Beird. It sems pretty nice although I don't really have much experience with Resonators. A Resonator is a dream guitar for sometime later in the future for me.

If you're in Longeuil, then you're already in S Shore mate! South Shore is basically the whole area of Montreal that is located South of the island (Ile de Montreal).

Mhebert, I understand what you mean about Steve's. I felt the same way a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised when I walked in last November to buy my Guild acoustic. I don't hang around much in the electric section because I'm more geared towards acoustics now. I found the people in the acoustic section quite helpful and nice for a change. I haven't been to Debussy's. Maybe I'll visit them...

I also agree on the Normans. Great tone + quality for the price that you pay. I was even thinking of getting one of their 12 string acoustics. I have to admit that Quebec-made guitars are quality instruments.

the web address is http://www.studioclaudedebussy.com/
They are in St-Hubert, if you live in Longueuil you are close by.They have a good selection of Martins to play around with. It's also a good school, some of the teachers are fantastic.
If you are new to the area where are you from?

I've never heard of the Goldtone, I'll try to check one out.
Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

19 (edited by patrickjacques 2007-06-20 16:32:34)

hey Michel , I grew up in Rockville, Maryland a suburb of Washington DC. My parents were French Canadians. Met a girl she was going to move to Maryland and I somehow ended up here In Quebec. That websight for DeBussy gives no street adress. Do You have it. It's not that they were that friendly at Steve's, the guy basicly left me alone and told me help myself. When I had questions he did not seem to know a whole lot

Never mind about directions  I found how to get there

Hey Mrjay thanks for the info, by the way What model Guild do you have. I think that they are great guitars. I have been a Guild owner since 1976 (F-50 Jumbo)

I have a GAD-50e. It's a model from the new series since Fender took over. I must admit that I was skeptical at first (being made in China under the Fender brand name, and all...), but after trying it, I just knew I had to get it. The tone is fantastic for a guitar in this price range (800$).

What I wouldn't give to try your Jumbo... You have got to get that fixed! I am very fond of the old Guilds (Westerley?). I've been a fan of these guitars for years now.

Mrjay, I was aware that fender took Guild over but I did not know that they were being constructed in China. Thats a kick in the head. Anyway when at Steve's the other day I played their top Guild and it's one of the few that really impressed me. I knew for sure right then that even though I was going to be investing in a martin I had no choice but to get my Guild restored. I am just wondering how I going to pay for it all. I am going to check out your guitar on the Guild webpage. Talk to you later

Mrjay, I was aware that fender took Guild over but I did not know that they were being constructed in China. Thats a kick in the head. Anyway when at Steve's the other day I played their top Guild and it's one of the few that really impressed me. I knew for sure right then that even though I was going to be investing in a martin I had no choice but to get my Guild restored. I am just wondering how I going to pay for it all. I am going to check out your guitar on the Guild webpage. Talk to you later

Well, my guitar teacher's guitar is a beauty. Unfortunately he palys left-handed and I play right, so I could never swap. It's a Takamine of some sort. Not sure what, but will try and find out. Other than that, I LURVE my newest guitar, an electro-acoustic from Lindo. I named her Linda...
You know that when you can give your guitars names and actually stick to them that you love 'em. I've currently got Joseph and Linda. So yeah... Those are my two perfect acoustic guitars.

my dream acoustic guitar is my dads he has a pure white kimbala not 2 sure of the exact model but looks and sounds beautiful

problems are only solutions in work clothes smile