Topic: 12 string

Hi,I am new to 12 string guitars,and I have just re-strung one for the first time, and in the process broke the low g( string 6 ) which is gauge 8, is this common ?
is there a way to perhaps stretch the string first? would like some help if you have a way of doing this!
Cheers.
John.

Re: 12 string

Hi John,

I re-string mine every 8 to 10 weeks and I have not had a problem. I normally fit the strings and tune them in. Then I will take hold of each one in turn at the 12th fret and tug on it and wiggle it before the final tuning.

Look for sharp edges that can cause a break or you could try tuning a semi-tone or even a tone down if you continually have problems.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Cheers for the info, I have decided to tune a semi tone down hoping this will resolve the issue.
Can you tell me if their is a special capo for 12 strings?
Once again many thanks!
John.

I use a Dunlop capo that fits my electric, my acoustic and my 12er. There are other good quality capos that are wide enough for a 12er. Check them out at your local store.

Roger

I've just restrung my 12. I've not had a problem breaking them, but a couple of things: its best to leave the last couple of turns for a while to let the strings adjust to the tensions before you wind up to the right notes; second you should take off and replace each string individually, rather than take them all off at once. That way the pressure on the neck doesn't go from high to zero and back to high tension again.

You need a good quality capo, because the high octave strings are smaller gauge than than adjacent low octave ones, and a cheap capo often won't put enough pressure on them all equally.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

I use a Kyser 6-string capo with no problems.

TwangTown wrote:

second you should take off and replace each string individually, rather than take them all off at once. That way the pressure on the neck doesn't go from high to zero and back to high tension again.

My 12er was made is the 70's, so she is no spring chicken, but I always remove all the strings when changing them and I have never had any problem. It is the only way that you can clean and oil the guitar and fretboard properly without restrictions.

Roger

PS. I remove the strings by cutting them in half with side cutters so there is a very rapid change from full tension to none and my old gal don't object lol

8 (edited by mercer 2011-09-07 10:18:18)

Hi Roger, my 12er is also about the same age, an Arnold Hoyer ( German ) bought on ebay.
As I said before this is my first 12er and the sound is  mind blowing!
had to do a lot of work before it was up and running,but all is working great!
If anyone wants to see some pictures I will post a link!
P.S I took your advise before about removing all the strings in one go,and I agree,its the only way to maintain the fretboard and frets and anything else at that stage.
Regards.
John.

Roger that's a lot of re-stringing!!!!

Baldguitardude wrote:

Roger that's a lot of re-stringing!!!!

Yeah maybe, but it is fun, it is not work.......................... Anyway my 12er does get a lot of use so it has to be done.

Roger

Do you mean the high G, the 6th string counting from the treble side, ie a string of 8/100 inch gauge? That is the lightest gauge string on a 12-string and also the highest-pitched. I bought lots of spares of this string when I got my 12-er, thinking they'd break a lot, but they don't in my case. Breakage when tuning up indicates either a dodgy string or a sharp edge somewhere.

Re capo - I use the standard Shubb one fine even though they do make a special 12-string one.

12 (edited by mercer 2011-09-10 13:11:19)

flester wrote:

Do you mean the high G, the 6th string counting from the treble side, ie a string of 8/100 inch gauge? That is the lightest gauge string on a 12-string and also the highest-pitched. I bought lots of spares of this string when I got my 12-er, thinking they'd break a lot, but they don't in my case. Breakage when tuning up indicates either a dodgy string or a sharp edge somewhere.

Re capo - I use the standard Shubb one fine even though they do make a special 12-string one.

Yes, that's the one! but I think I can manage now. rounded off the tuning peg and tuned it a semi tone down,and now playing very nicely!
bought a capo that tightens directly underneath  the neck which seems to work,had to change the rubber sleeve that it came with,replaced it with a piece electrical cable casing.
Cheers.
John.

Seems like 12 strings are a lot of bother.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

I a couple of 12's, restring about every 3 months or so, more in the winter. Not too much bother, really. When I restring, I load from the center out, after removing all the strings. 15 minutes max, plus tuning.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

I play a 12-pegger all the time and that string breaks more often than any other. Just buy a few spares so that you are prepared when it happens. I have the Schubb 12 capo and it works perfectly.

Western Sydney, NSW, any Drummers or Female Vocalists want a jam, message me please?