Topic: Starting over again

When I took up guitar this last time, I just wanted to be able to strum and sing a tune.  I can do that.  This past weekend I heard a few Chordians play and it really changed my perspective on the desire to work in lead licks and get a more "authentic" sound to covers.  So I've bought a couple simple song-books, one for bluegrass flatpicking and one for pop-rock songs, and I'm trying to play them note for note as transcribed.  WOW!  It's like starting over.  The metronome is set to "excrutiatingly slow" and it's still too challenging.  My left hand fingers seem to be made of clay and are for some reason no longer attached to my brain.  I may have to set the metronome (aka Evil Lord Clickmeister) to "glacial".  But in three years, just watch out! 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Starting over again

What's slower than glacial?  My metronome doesn't have a geologic setting. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I have just gone through the same thing, Zurf.  A short time ago I decided rather than just playing chords and singing, I would start learning some of the intros also.  It is a new beginninmg and makes me feel better if I can do a few intros.  It's kind of exciting.  I still do mostly chords, but I now throw in an ocassional intro with it on some songs.  I am currently learning the intro to Pancho and Lefty.  I am super slow at learning these, but I am keeping at it.  Good luck Zurf.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I've worked out the "solo" to Johnny Cash's Blue Train.  That's as far as I've come.  It's going to be a long, long journey I fear.  Good luck with yours Pete.  We should trade some recordings via e-mail to encourage one another on this trip. 

- Zurf

Cosmic Timescale.   You should have it figured out by the time the sun runs out of hydrogen.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Zurf keep the faith and dont stop working on new lead guitar solos that's the way I did it till I learned how to read which improved my solos but the fire was lit long before I started reading work on it,work,work and then more work till it becomes as natural as a baby's smile smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I love that song !! play it regularly..BUT couldnt work out the intro properly...Can you tab it for me Zurf ??

Zurf wrote:

I've worked out the "solo" to Johnny Cash's Blue Train.  That's as far as I've come.  It's going to be a long, long journey I fear.  Good luck with yours Pete.  We should trade some recordings via e-mail to encourage one another on this trip. 

- Zurf

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

I'll try.  I've never tabbed anything.  Is there some software or something for drawing the lines? 

I play it in G, but I think Johnny plays it in A, so my tab will be a whole step off.

- Zurf

9 (edited by Zurf 2011-07-22 11:38:36)

------------------------------------------------------------ (high e)
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
-5-3-2-----------------------------------------------------
-------5-5-5-5-5-5-----------------------------------------
--------------------5(bend it)-3-6 5 3----------------------  (low E)

The 6 5 3 is gratuitous.  Johnny doesn't play it that way, but I think it resolves and finishes the solo better.  Also there may be one too many 5's in the middle part.  Again, this is for playing it in G.  Because there are no open notes, you can move it up or down.  If you move it closer to the nut, you can go two half steps because at that point the 2 becomes an open note and will otherwise have to be moved down the A string to move it further. 

I hope that helps and doesn't confuse.  I don't know how to write these things up. 

- Zurf

Thats fine Zurf , I play it in G too ! Thanks

Zurf wrote:

I'll try.  I've never tabbed anything.  Is there some software or something for drawing the lines? 

I play it in G, but I think Johnny plays it in A, so my tab will be a whole step off.

- Zurf

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

Have you tried the Power Tab Editor (http://www.power-tab.net/)? It's a freebie and runs on Windows platforms. If you're a Linux user you could always try TuxGuitar - I use that on my Ubuntu box. smile

Just an old fart struggling to get by in a life filled with pratfalls....

Thanks Zurf.  I need to get off my butt and get some microphones and video camera so I can share with you guys.  I don't know what I'm waiting for.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Brother Zurf,  Know what you mean by hands of clay!  Amazing what your hands refuse to do that they used to do easily as a teen.  keep it up and don't let that "Demon Clickmaster" kick your butt!  Look forward to reading about your successes.

Usky;  Welcome to Chordie my friend.  Power-tab is a good one which I have used, and it works.  Thanks for the recommendation on TuxGuitar as well, I'm running Ubuntu on my laptop and it might be handy to have a good application for that too.  I'm converting my sheet music to PDF and sticking it in the thing so it can go along to jam sessions.  A lot easier to carry than 450 pages of paper, won't blow away in a breeze, just gotta figure out how to work a mouse with my toes.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:

Usky;  Welcome to Chordie my friend.  Power-tab is a good one which I have used, and it works.  Thanks for the recommendation on TuxGuitar as well, I'm running Ubuntu on my laptop and it might be handy to have a good application for that too.  I'm converting my sheet music to PDF and sticking it in the thing so it can go along to jam sessions.  A lot easier to carry than 450 pages of paper, won't blow away in a breeze, just gotta figure out how to work a mouse with my toes.

Take Care;
Doug

Thanks for the welcome Doug smile

I have to say I'm impressed with TuxGuitar - it's capable of importing both Guitar Pro and Power Tab files so is a useful addition if, like me, you're also a member of Ultimate Guitar. Like you I'm keeping sheet music on a hard drive these days and building up quite a collection. Ever thought of using speech recognition for retrieving files?

Just an old fart struggling to get by in a life filled with pratfalls....

hey zurf,
I got hit by that when I dicovered you tube a few years back. as long as you keep practicing the clay in the clay hands wont harden. you just got to love it

what a long strange trip it's been

Just got back from the August River Jam.  Seems like my work is paying off as one of the guys I used to jamm with back when I was just learning electric bass was there.  He's heard me through all of the painful days and he said I was sounding pretty good.  He taught me a few rhythm lines for him to play lead against and we had a good time like that until the others at the campfire were all bored to tears. 

- Zurf

alot of people do not understand when someone is learning on an insterment what a high it can give the player.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

i know its boring but scales are a great way of loosening up 'clay' fingers, but i agree you get a great buzz when that intro comes together, it makes playing on your todd alittle more colourful  :-)