1 (edited by jcellini 2011-06-16 12:57:44)

Topic: Electric strings

Let me start by saying I don't know much about electric guitars. My elect now has 10's on it and I heard I should really try 8's, it's easier for bending. I play 11's and 12's on all my acoustics, so I dont think it's an issue of finger strength. That just sounds like a really light string that could easily break. Does anyone play play with 8's?

Re: Electric strings

I snap anything below 10s. I play 11s or 12s tuned down to eb.

I'm the same, Ernie Ball regular slinky's for me which are 10's, 8's are way too small.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

EB slinky 10's will feel more bendy than regular 10's. If you play 11s and 12's on acoustic you will have a tuff time adjusting to electric 8's or 9's because of over fretting the notes out of tune. Plus you'll be looking at a complete setup for the guage change. It could be a good thing though if you're not too heavy handed.

8s will break really easy.10s are the way to go for me.I worked my way up until I got to a gauge that wouldnt break.Actually I used 11s on my electrics for years until they started to cause pain.It should be the other way around

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Apparently 9's are good for beginner's

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Just put 9s on my guitar today. I don’t like them. I broke the E stretching it, didn’t think I put too much pressure on it but apparently I did.

They feel ok. But sound tinnie, that could be the brand I don’t know.  I’m only new at this so everything’s just a different trip for me. I will use them till they break and go back to 10s , I didn’t have a problem with them...I also think unless you have severe arthritis you wont have a problems bending 10s

ok Web - in my opinion, I would stick to 10's, not to thick for electric; but also not too thin like 9's and they give you a thicker tone than 9's and are easier to bend than any other thicker gauge - also stick to ernie balls, I have found them to be very excellent for me!

Hope that has helped! :]
Chordiehelper123

'The journey maybe long, but in the end, its only with your trusty guitars'
Chordiehelper123  =p

Put the fattest, gnarliest, meanest, thickest set of cables you can find on the thing.   Does wonders for your tone (if not your fingers.)

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I tried a lot of brands, types and gauges, and I like D'darrio nickel 10's on my solidbody guitars, and TI flatwound 11's on my hollows.  In the end, it all comes down to what feels and sounds best to you.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Re: dguyton's post
+1 on the Thomastik Infeld flatwounds... I like the Jazz 12s for a little fatter sound, and although a heavier string easy to bend due to a lighter tension when up to pitch.

take care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I use 9's on my telecaster and 10's on my sg as the sg scale is slightly shorter and so the tension is reduced and the 9's would just be floppy.  To be honest, it's better to go with what feels most comfortable.  The very slight difference in tone from string thickness isn't worth loosing the ends of your fingers.  As long as you fit your strings properly and don't go mental with your bends there shouldn't be a massive difference in the life of your strings.  Don't think that buying thicker strings will save you money because they won't, they'll just hurt more.

To answer your original question, yes, lots of people play with 8's.  However they are very light strings and, I would say, more suited to shredding and wild bending (of the metal variety) then other types of guitar playing.  It all depends what you're in to I suppose.

Yes friends,

An electric guitar is a guitar that uses the principle of direct electromagnetic induction to convert vibrations of its metal strings into electric audio signals.

me thinks you are testing the oven to see if it can cook some spam

appypaddy wrote:

Yes friends,

An electric guitar is a guitar that uses the principle of direct electromagnetic induction to convert vibrations of its metal strings into electric audio signals.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

i'mwichoo all da way on dat one russel! LOL

as for electric guitar strings, i use fender 9's on my tele, but then i do a lot of bending while i'm playing. so if your just strumming or playing straight notes (a la hank marvin) i would suggest a heavier gauge like 10' or 11's.

to webmc, when tuning your guitar with new strings, tune up the D first, that way you wont over tune/stretch the E. and always use a tuner or pitch pipes so you dont over tune or put too much strain on the neck.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.