Topic: How to get over fear...

Hello,

I've been playing off and on since I was a teen and seriously devoted myself to learning the guitar last october 2006. I want to be able to play along with my church band but I don't know where to start. I can read tabs and play out the songs I see on chordie. But when I take my guitar to church I can never find any sounds that go along with what the band is playing. Everything I play is so out of tune with the songs and I sound like a frickin 2-year old playing around with a guitar instead of someone who spends an hour a day practicing.

It's depressing.

I love this so much but I suck so badly at it. How the hell am I ever supposed to just know where to go on the fretboard to get a particular sound? And how am I supposed to know what key anyone is playing in? They ask me that all the time and I don't know what the heck they are talking about...
The only time I ever sound like I know anything about playing the guitar is when I'm at home with tabs in front of me.
My guitar is tuned in drop-D and I can't even get my playing to match what they're playing and Drop-D is 10 times easier than playing in standard tuning!

Do I have to know what each sound is when I hear it? (Like...hear a song and instinctively know that a note played is "C")
I really just don't have a clue what to do and it's bothering me to the point of sadness.

Does anyone have any advice?

I know about all of the usual suggestions such as:
1. Get lessons.
2. Play with people, friends and/or family.
3. Go watch some musicians play.
My response to those is: I'm married to a regimented christian woman and I don't have much money,
so all 3 of those options are out the door.

The guitar is all I have left in my life...I don't want to lose this too.

Thank you,
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Re: How to get over fear...

did u check all the instruments are tuned the same? i guess it is a silly to ask though little things often cause bigger problems. do u use processors or pedals for ur guitar then the patches may do the probs

i live only to discover beauty. all else is a form of waiting

krishanu wrote:

did u check all the instruments are tuned the same? i guess it is a silly to ask though little things often cause bigger problems. do u use processors or pedals for ur guitar then the patches may do the probs

Yes, I use a korg px4d - pandoras box.

Do you think it's complicating things?

Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman,

Did you actually compare tuning, string by string, with the others in your group?  You may want to make sure that they do standard tuning on their guitars.  Some players do tune their instruments 1/2 step (one fret) low.  Then, they use a capo to bring them up to standard tuning. 

The best way to overcome the fear of playing is to spend some time in private jam sessions with the church group.  This way, you can learn the songs and the style they are playing.  I have four core friends who I get together with and jam every other week.  We are now starting to sound a bit better than when we first started.

Dude you are being really harsh on yourself. You've actually got the balls to go and play with your Church band and I think thats brilliant!

As Kahuna said, it sounds like you need to tune your guitar to the same tuning as one of the other guitar players. Drop D might be the issue here if the guys aren't tuned in Drop D(I'm not sure what the standard tuning is for gospel/christian music).

At first glance, it sounded to me like you just need to put your guitar to standard tuning, and then make sure you tune string by string with either another guitar or the organ/piano.

Does the band provide you with tabs or sheet music?

do they not have a music sheet

if not ask what key they are playing in

then you will know what chords are likely to sound right in that key (and if  you don't know enough theory to do that - someone here will give you an idea

othewise its tuning issue (and some good advice here already)

First of all Brother what do you want to do ? Do you want to strum along on rythem or are you looking to be throwing some lead licks inbetween the vocals. Get back to me and I will give you my opinion

what a long strange trip it's been

Detman101,
First of all let me tell that your worship comes from the heart and that what matters. As mentioned in previous replys you all have to be tuned the same. If you have a keyboard player have him hit an E note and all of you tune to that pitch (440 standard). Take the extra time to ask a brother (or sister) to print out the lyrics and then write the corresponding chord on your sheet put then in a three ring note book and play from a music stand until you have memorized them. If their true brothers and sisters they will take the time to help you.

I played in a worship band for five years and was also a worship leader (I am also ordained). Because of that worship band I was blessed to play with the following persons (not bragging, Exalting the blessing I received). Drummers: LaVon Bell of Earth,wind & Fire, Charlie from Three dog night and Mike Lazik of Albert Collin's touring band before Albert Collin's died. Guitar player Guitar Jack and Organist Don from B.B.Kings house of blues band. My former pastor use to play keyboards with the band Deliverence. Mind you it is not because of my playing skills but they all became christians and would come and sit in with us during Revivals. My point is not to see yourself in it but to whom you serve with it. Keep it up because you honor "HIM" he will honor you and your house hold.

Off the pulpit now.

Bootlegger.

Don't get get dispirited, Mate - we all go through this at one time or another.  It's great you're sticking in there.  A quick word to add to the other contributions to this thread.  You say you don't know what they're talking about when they refer to what key a song is in.  If you're in standard tuning and everyone else is, the key of the song is usually the opening chord.  Not always the case but you'll find this applies to the majority of songs.   Keep it up!

Many gospel tunes are played in sharps or flats to accomodate the piano or brass instruments.
Possible solutions to your difficulties;
Go to standard tuning. Drop D sounds cool and full and all but can be limiting sometimes.
Invest in a capo. This little gadget can save you hours and hours of frustration.

I hope this is helpful to you and if guitar is all you got, you got a lot.

Give everything but up.

Lots of good info posted for you on this forum. I would suggest approaching the worship/song leader or some of the members and see if you can sit in privately and work on some stuff. Check to see if you instrument is tuned with them and then see what your ability is...SouthPaw (accurately) mentioned that a lot of Gospel is played in flats and sharps which works well for keyboard/piano but  is often confusing to guitar players...but with standard tuning a person can usually capo and find a guitar friendly key...example...lots of stuff we play is in Eb...capo 1st and play a D chord. I play in a praise worship group and sometimes the music drives us nuts trying to figure it out...but all of us will do anything to help out and encourage others...main thing is to keep trying and don't get discouraged....jg

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

12 (edited by livebaitman 2007-06-14 18:18:57)

Detman101,

I also stepped outside of my introvert box about a year and a half ago and invited myself into our newly formed church praise band.  (My interest in playing guitar was revived when I discovered the Avett Brothers, but that's another story).  We have some bonifide professional musicians and all I knew was how to make a few chords and strum a little on my old Alvarez acoustic.  Couldn't read a lick of music or tell you a thing about music theory.  They let me in and I'lll tell ya, it's been a life changing event.  They were understanding of my basically being a beginner and didn't really have anyone strumming acoustic rythym.  It's amazing how much I have learned from them and how much I have grown in my spiritual life.  What a way to worship!  (Out of my pulpit now).

I have now performed about 6 times.  One of those times was with a piano and myself as the only instruments for one vocalist, so, it goes without saying that my self confidence has benefitted greatly.  I also must say that a LOT of hard work and practice got me to where I am today, but the desire to learn MUST be there first.  Remember, anything worth having is worth the effort to get it.  If you can afford it, take some lessons also.  I've been taking lessons for a couple of months now and it has been invaluable.  Learning a lot of theory is not really necessary, but a basic understanding can surely uncomplicate things a little.  I'm almost ready to start playing a little bit of lead which is where I really want to get in order to become a more well rounded player.

I still consider myself a beginner compared to our other band members, but here are a few of my learnings.   Make sure you are tuned with the rest of the band first; probably standard tuning.  Learn enough theory to understand the key of a song and chord progressions.  Many times the key is the chord the song starts with, but it's usually the ending chord.  And, of course, there are always exceptions.  Music is all about math; it's not a mystery.  And definitely learn how to use a capo to your benefit.  It can be a non professional's best friend for some of the tougher keys using a lot of sharps or flats.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes and don't beat yourself up too much.  That's how you best learn.  My teacher says there are only two kinds of mistakes - hitting the right note or chord at the wrong time or hitting the wrong note or chord at the right time.  The point being that timing is the most important.  You can't afford to stop and correct your mistake because the rest of the band is going to keep moving and keeping time.  There are only 11 major notes or chords and you're not likely to make 10 mistakes before you land on the right one.

Sorry about the rambling.....enjoy

David

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.

patrickjacques wrote:

First of all Brother what do you want to do ? Do you want to strum along on rythem or are you looking to be throwing some lead licks inbetween the vocals. Get back to me and I will give you my opinion

I would simply like to strum along rhythm style.
How do I accomplish that?
Do I need to know every chord there is?
Is there a simple set of things I can use?

=[
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

bootleger wrote:

Detman101,
First of all let me tell that your worship comes from the heart and that what matters. As mentioned in previous replys you all have to be tuned the same. If you have a keyboard player have him hit an E note and all of you tune to that pitch (440 standard). Take the extra time to ask a brother (or sister) to print out the lyrics and then write the corresponding chord on your sheet put then in a three ring note book and play from a music stand until you have memorized them. If their true brothers and sisters they will take the time to help you.

I played in a worship band for five years and was also a worship leader (I am also ordained). Because of that worship band I was blessed to play with the following persons (not bragging, Exalting the blessing I received). Drummers: LaVon Bell of Earth,wind & Fire, Charlie from Three dog night and Mike Lazik of Albert Collin's touring band before Albert Collin's died. Guitar player Guitar Jack and Organist Don from B.B.Kings house of blues band. My former pastor use to play keyboards with the band Deliverence. Mind you it is not because of my playing skills but they all became christians and would come and sit in with us during Revivals. My point is not to see yourself in it but to whom you serve with it. Keep it up because you honor "HIM" he will honor you and your house hold.

Off the pulpit now.

Bootlegger.

Thank you sir.
I will continue to pray on it and just try harder. The church band does not provide sheet music or anything so it's a little hard.

Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Hmmmm, no sheet music?  No lyrics with chord placement?  Making it kinda tough on you.  Might rethink playing with them.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Many gospel tunes are played in sharps or flats to accomodate the piano or brass instruments.
Possible solutions to your difficulties;
Go to standard tuning. Drop D sounds cool and full and all but can be limiting sometimes.
Invest in a capo. This little gadget can save you hours and hours of frustration.

I hope this is helpful to you and if guitar is all you got, you got a lot.

Thank you sir. I don't know what a Capo does. I'm guessing it replaces/substitutes the nut based on what I have seen. And on that thought-trail...I'm guessing it shifts the tuning further up the scale based on what fret you put it on?

I may pick one up this afternoon and try one out. I had no idea that gospel tunes were in sharps and flats. I thought it was all just standard tuning. That's why I figured I could just stay in drop-d and get by.

Guess I was wrong...hehe.

Thank you,
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

David,

Music is all about math; it's not a mystery.

Great...my weakest subject comes back to bite me in the butt.
Now I wish I had paid closer attention in class.

I will continue to make mistakes and keep at it. Once I find someone to watch in action I'm sure that I will get it. I may have to visit a couple of other churches because I am the only guitarist at my church.

=[
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

livebaitman wrote:

Hmmmm, no sheet music?  No lyrics with chord placement?  Making it kinda tough on you.  Might rethink playing with them.

Everyone there basically learned to play on their own. Our keyboardist is a virtuoso on the keyboard, organ, piano and drums but he can't read sheet music.
The same thing goes for the singers and the other drummer. Everyone is self-taught and they've been playing for like 12+ years in the church. Basically, they all grew up in the church and had established roles (Singers, drummer, keyboards, etc) that they specialized in but never were formally trained in.
So they are much much better than me in playing music by ear, and I just don't know what the heck I'm doing...period.

Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I'm sure they'd happily put together some tabs or sheet music for you fella. Stick at it though, I wish I had the guts to play in a band! smile

you don't need or even want real sheet music in standard notation - it will just confuse you - just try to get the lyrics and find a chord that fits the first and/or last note of the song or a measure - folks on this board will be happy to help you out from there - but you must get in standard tunig first - oh, and get the capo too - you will be glad you did
David

I have a question did you say you were the only guitarist

what a long strange trip it's been

Detman101 wrote:
bootleger wrote:

Detman101,

Off the pulpit now.

Bootlegger.

Thank you sir.
I will continue to pray on it and just try harder. The church band does not provide sheet music or anything so it's a little hard.

Dm

Detman101:

I have alot of lyrics with chord on them, worship and praise music depending on where you are (i'm in California, U.S.A.) I will mail you copies as soon as I dig them out. Just send me an email with an address (in America) and I'll get them to you.

Bootlegger.

good idea, bootlegger - i have a lot too -  detman, i'll send you some if you list some specific songs - also, google works wonders - example, try googling "you're worthy of my praise chords" - the songs are likely not in the key you want, but that's where a little knowledge of the math of theory and a capo can solve the mystery - we'll try to help

24 (edited by rainman 2007-06-17 18:54:15)

A peice of advice:become fimiliar with the names of the notes n your guitar. When Im trying to play along with a song I dont have tabs or sheets for, I just pluck single notes on the guiar until I find one that sounds right, then I figure out the name of that note. Like ll be playing along and Ill hit the third note of the A string and be like "oh, that shounds good, and thats a C." (you dont have to kow the note by its particular sound, just become fimiliar wth whereall the ntes are on he fingerboard. somtimes it takes e a while to figure out a note.) then play a c CHORD along with that part of the song. usually it sounds right when played along with the song, sometimes you need to make it a minor chord though. bring a chord sheet with you so ou canfind out chords yu dont know. Tell me if this doesnt make sense and Ill try to explain it better; I did a somewhat crappy job this time. :-(  nyway, Iveonly been plaing or 11 months and I can already play alongwith most songs using this method, try it out.

Oh and real quick a worhipsong I learned usng that method in my previous post was "blessed be your name."  If you churc plays it the chord progresion is -- C, G, Aminor, F, C, G F, C.