Re: writers that inspire you- just out of curiosty

Hands down, the best singer/songwriter I've ever heard is Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20.

Hello all. 
ALOT of inspiring artists have been  mentioned. I grew up listening to everything from oldies to Death Metal. I also was an M.C. (rapper for those who might think I was in a wedding band) 8-) 
through the 90's so I have an appreciation for rappers who consider rhhymin' an artform and take time to develop a poem over beats. So all that to say I really like:

Abstract (A Tribe Called Quest)
Sup the Chemist (SFC)
Kool Mo Dee
Alot of old school rappers. I won't bore you with the names. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

"I want my 2 Dollars!!!!!"

BOB dylan,George Harrison,Neil young,Paul simon,Van Morrison and Willie Nelson.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I dont believe a song is just words or just music or just the singer or how good the backing is! it's got to be all of them and sometimes just one or two in the mix, hope that makes sense to you. With that in mind my list would have to include;

Jon Anderson...[Yes]
Ian Anderson...[Jethro Tull]
George Harrison
John Lennon
Paul McCartney
Peter Gabriel
Phil Collins
the list would go on for ever,
I'm also very partial to Brian Wilson, that guy from Nickelback, anything by the Eagles etc.

I was listening to Whitesnake Greatest Hits on my way home from my gig last night [I love metal] and even though the music and singing were XLNT, the words left a whole lot to be desired! but it's done them no harm, has it?

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

30 (edited by KAP54 2008-08-10 16:56:10)

Wow!!! Good question smile
Lyrically it would have to be...John Lennon, Neil Young, Bob Dylan,Van Morrison, Don Henley,John Prine, Paul McCartney, Paul Simon and the list goes on.
Lots of good links posted here to artists I have never heard of but will be keeping an eye out for in the future.

KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

christy hennessy is a fantastic songwriter did not read or write but still managed to come up with great songs. His music made me decide to learn to play guitar.
He used to put words on a tape recorder then put sections together to write his songs, Very down to earth artist now sadly passed away.
Another cracking songwriter is alan hull {lindisfarne] i have followed lindisfarne since the start and alan has wrote some classics

Any singer/band that can write a really good song. I'm really starting to like Guns 'n Roses. Slash's solos are so... inspiring.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

although i love 60's sounds and country my inspiration came from chordie artists,just reading through their posts gave me the kickstart,my shortycoming is i cant read or write music so basically play by ear and what i've learnt since i joined.....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Definitely Taylor Swift.

****Link removed by moderator****

I can't believe only one person I've read hear mentioned Brain Wilson.  My opinion of course but he wrote some great songs.  Lennon and McCartney are also on my list.  All the guys from Buffalo Springfield and all their songs and bands that followed.  Joni Mitchell, Tom Waits, Tori Amos.  Like another guy said, I could make another list tomorrow and include all new names.

I have a tune but can't put words to it.