Topic: The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams

Hank Williams died in the back of a car at the young age of 29. He was know to write down lyrics on hotel stationary, napkins or a notebook he carried around with him. These unfinished works were put into a vault at Sony/ATV music. In 2006 a janitor found the works in a dumpster, the same notebook, stationary, and napkins that were in the car with him the night he died.

These unfinished lyrics and some of the notated works have brought together artists such as Alan Jackson, Jakob Dylan, Levon Helms Sheryl Crow, Rodney Crowell, Lucinda Williams, Jack White, Norah Jones, and yes even Bob Dylan himself. Agree or disagree that these works should have never been finished by anyone is up for debate, I would think some would think they should be placed under glass in a museum somewhere, but never the less they were finished by these other artists.

Here is the link to the story and even some clips of the music itself that might have otherwise never been heard had it not been for the janitor who found them in the dumpster.

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/ … -williams/

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Re: The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams

Well, I'd say they surely got the right people to do the work.  As far as whether or not it ought to have been finished... of course it ought to have been finished.  Furthermore, Hank Williams should get due credit, along with his unintentional co-composers. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I'd like to see his grandson take a crack at them.  He looks and sounds a whole lot like grandpa.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/42824839/Hank+Williams+III+2+of+a+kind.jpg

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Thanks to cam for posting this most interesting article.
I plan to pass it on to musicians in my area,
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

My pleasure Toots, glad you liked it, I was raised on Hank as a child, my Dad was a huge Hank fan, back in the day.

Cam

Hank is one of those artists that no one realizes how much they have actually heard by him.When you hear a hank song,you say to yourself,Hey i`ve heard that done by so and so.A lot I have heard done by others and not him.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Definitely better to have 'finished' and recorded them than to keep them under glass. Am a Hank fan so looking forward to hearing the recordings

I personally don't have a problem with the above mentioned artist's finishing the songs, some of them were already structured with it's melody, so that wasn't compromised at all. However in researching this I found that there was a lot of people who where dead set against this, even to the point of holding protests in Nashville, I was even invited to join it, though I respectfully declined. I saw no problem with the completion of the songs and can't wait to hear them. When I think of them being found in the dumpster, and how close we came to never knowing about these songs sends shutters up my spine. Like Hank or not, he was a pioneer in western music an a musical icon., what a shame he died at such an early age, like so many other great artists, who knows what they might have done that we'll never get the chance to hear.

Cam